Axiom Home Page
Posted By: paradoiley Center Channel Options - 09/29/06 04:02 PM
Hi,

I'm just about to start finishing my basement, and my wife is letting me get a Home Theater Actually, she was letting me get an HDTV, but when she found out I was also planning on the Home Theater, she suggested I choose one or the other.

After reading many glowing reviews on Axiom and asking the axiom expert, I've settled on the Grand Master(M22, QS8, VP150) 350 5.1, probably run by a Yamaha RX-V659. I'll probably purchase in January (if I can wait that long) to take advantage of Boxing Month.

The main room where the HT will be placed is 25x20, probably with 8 foot ceilings. However, the couch is going to be about 8-10 feet from the TV.

Here is my current dilemma:
This is the Entertainment Center we'll probably buy.

The problem is that I don't think there is a good place to put the VP150. I can put it on top of the TV (36" SDTV). I'm not convinced it would be very attractive sitting in front of the top shelf. I showed my wife a picture from the Wall of Fame with a similar TV, and there is a 0% chance of this happening.

I can put it on top of the bridging shelf. If it's on the bridging shelf, it will be 7' off the ground. I think it would just fit. I'd have to angle it down somehow towards the couch.

On the other hand, I can drop from the VP150 to the VP100. It will fit on the center shelves of the TV Buffet, which are 19" wide.

So, how much would I be giving up in terms of sound? Bear in mind that I'm going from no HT at all to this system, and I have to maintain matrimonial harmony.

Thanks,
Jared
Posted By: dllewel Re: Center Channel Options - 09/29/06 06:06 PM
Tough call. I'm leaning right now toward the VP100 just below the TV. I can't speak as to the loss in sound (I've never heard the VP100)- but Axiom says the main difference is the power level the speaker can handle. By the specs the VP100 should have no problem keeping up with the M22 mains (both rated at 200 watts), and should be fine for seating 8 feet away.

Hopefully you'll get some additional opinions- and you could call Axiom and refer them to this thread for their advice as well.

Good luck,
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Center Channel Options - 09/29/06 06:51 PM
>>After reading many glowing reviews on Axiom and asking the axiom expert, I've settled on the Grand Master(M22, QS8, VP150) 350 5.1, probably run by a Yamaha RX-V659.

This is almost the exact setup that I have/will have. I have already purchased the RX-V659, it is now sitting in a box in my kitchen, but at least I know I am making progress!

The only differnce I am making is getting the EP500 sub over the EP350. If you are a bass head and want to feel the bass exhibited below 20HZ in your butt-ometer, I would upgrade to the EP500 especially since your room is a large listening space, you won't regret it!
Posted By: Nick B Re: Center Channel Options - 09/29/06 10:39 PM
My suggestion is to take that $1400 you were going to spend on the entertainment center and get a projector. Panasonic has a new lcd projector for about $2000 that has 1080p, very good black levels and no screen door effect. You can pick up equipment racks for less than $200. DIY screens can be made for about $100. Then there are no placement issues since you can just get a center channel stand to go under the screen.

- Nick
Posted By: paradoiley Re: Center Channel Options - 10/01/06 12:43 PM
It turns out the top trim on the Entertainment center sticks up about 1.5" from the top shelf. It would be impossible to put a speaker up there.

It's either the VP100 or a different setup.

Jared
Posted By: Ajax Re: Center Channel Options - 10/01/06 04:01 PM
Jared, you could always set the center channel speaker on something to raise it that 1.5" distance.

I don't know if they'd work with your particular entertainment center, but something like the Auralex Mopads would serve to both raise the center channel speaker, decouple the speaker from the entertainment center (i.e., prevent the speaker from causing the EC to vibrate), and angle it down toward the listening area. They are adjustable to angles angles of 0, 4, 8, -4 and -8 degrees.
Posted By: HAY Re: Center Channel Options - 10/03/06 01:32 PM
Not sure if this is a possibility...
Hanging VP150 from bottom of shelf

Posted By: alan Re: Center Channel Options - 10/03/06 02:55 PM
Hello Hay,

Hanging the VP150 from the bottom of a shelf is a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I thought I'd considered every possibility of mounting center channels but that one escaped me.
Posted By: HAY Re: Center Channel Options - 10/04/06 03:02 AM
Thanks, I can't take credit for it though.

Sirquack posted it (01/05/05) from another user but it left an impression as it is a great idea!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Center Channel Options - 10/04/06 03:13 AM
WoW!, you have a better memory than I.
© Axiom Message Boards