Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 06:24 PM
I have a FMB from Axiom, but to be honest, it was a pain to install and remove the last time I mounted my VP150 (because it was so close to the ceiling). Now that I am enjoying V3.0 (as I call it) of my home theater, the center speaker is below the screen. So I want to get some sort of stand or something to just get the speaker off of the floor.

My oldest daughter was on "vacuum patrol" a few weeks back, and bumped right into the VP150, breaking the "Axiom" tag right off of the front. Then this past weekend, my parents were in town, and my mom (who has VERY bad eye sight) just about stepped on the VP150. I told her to be careful, and she didn't quite get it until I told her that it was a $400 speaker.

So, long story short, I would like to get the center channel off of the ground. I don't know if it would help a lot with my mom, but at least against any accidental bumping into since it would be a little more noticable being off of the ground.

Here is my other limit. The bottom of my screen is only 18 inches off of the ground, leaving less than 11 inches for the stand itself.

Ideas?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 06:30 PM
Bridgeman likes to use boxes...I think they give a good acoustical tone to the speaker...

In all seriousness, you can easily just build one. Take some MDF for the bottom, take a 4x4 for the pole, take some more MDF for the top, screw them all together...very easy!

Make sure the base is wider than the top.
Posted By: HAY Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 06:44 PM
Quote:

Bridgeman likes to use boxes...I think they give a good acoustical tone to the speaker...

I thought it was soup cans? Or is that just for the QS8's?

If people are already knocking in to it, then make sure that the stand is very steady and possibly anchored. Don't want the VP150 to fall to the ground.

Put some LED's in the base plate of the stand to attract their attention
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 07:00 PM
Perhaps you could talk Axiom into cutting down their new FM-CC center stand to your specs.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 07:10 PM
I think I’d make it with two posts about twelve inches apart. Make the bottom plate about six inches wider than the speaker and about four inches deeper than the speaker. That will be about right for keeping it stable. Then make the top plate the same dimension as the speaker, or a little smaller if you don’t want it to be viewable. Stick the speaker to the stand with Velcro. I’d use some sort of hardwood and stain it to match whatever colors in your room. I’d make the posts 2 1/4” X 2 1/4” (three laminated 3/4" hardwood boards)and center them between the plates. A little glue and a couple screws should be plenty strong enough. Or, if you have a biscuit cutter, biscuits work very well and don’t take long at all. If you need the speaker to be angle up some, just cut the posts at whatever angle you think you need.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/07/06 07:48 PM
Listen to mdrew, he is a Prestige Magician with wood!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 01:02 AM
>>I thought it was soup cans? Or is that just for the QS8's?

Bingo. Soup cans for QS8s at the old house (now replaced with the soup-can-inspired but highly attractive FMB-QS stands) and an empty M2i box for the VP100 in the new house.

After seeing Mdrew's beautiful stands I'm not sure what to replace the M2 box with that could possibly measure up... I'm thinking maybe a maglev arrangement...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 05:01 AM
I could build something, but my problem is that I have such a long list of "not quite finished" projects, that I hate to add another project to the list...
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 08:57 AM
I know they have the FM Custom stand... I also thought I saw a while ago they were releasing a center channel stand?

Perhaps that'd work for you?

- D
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 01:15 PM
Quote:

I know they have the FM Custom stand... I also thought I saw a while ago they were releasing a center channel stand?

Perhaps that'd work for you?

- D

I saw that, but $110?!?! Yikes.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 04:39 PM
Quote:

I could build something, but my problem is that I have such a long list of "not quite finished" projects, that I hate to add another project to the list...

Oh, I had assumed you were asking for feedback on how to design something you were planning to make. Sorry…

I’ve found that the stress involved with having these unfinished projects in the Q keeps things interesting. Without stress life gets boring and I get into trouble.

I’m assembling a motor right now, but I’ll be doing some more wood work in a couple weeks. If you can’t find something suitable and will pay shipping/cost of wood, I could cut something up for you. I don’t like finishing, so you’d have to do that.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 05:15 PM
Maybe you could just make a stand for me, mdrew!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/08/06 07:33 PM
Sure, as long as your patient. While I’ve got the tools all set up, this wouldn’t take but a couple hours to make, but I won’t be making any more sawdust till the motor’s together. I’ll need exact measurements of the speaker ( +/- 1/32” ), total height of the stand you want, edge profiles, if you want it angled up / down or flat and type of wood. What I’d do is just have it ready to assemble with all the holes pre-drilled and slots cut for the biscuits. You’d just have to dab a little glue on the biscuit and run the screws in. It’d be easier to mail it broke down that way. You get to stain / finish it. I don’t have much hardwood on hand but can get just about anything when I make the next trip to Anchorage. Oak is available where I live, but the local store is pretty proud of everything they sell.

Just shoot me a PM if you’re serious and I’ll give you my Zip code so you can figure out shipping costs and all that crap. Shipping from Alaska can only go one way, air mail and it does get expensive.

Oh one more thing, I’m a firm believer in the barter system………
Posted By: jkerrigan Re: Center Speaker Stand Ideas??? - 11/09/06 03:50 AM
I just went through the same thing. I got so annoyed at the full metal bracket. I ended up going to Home Depot and bought two metal shelf brackets that on side is 8 inches and the other 10 inches. I mounted the 8 inch side to the wall and the 150 sits perfectly on the 10 inch side. Not sure of your room decor but mine has dark walls, etc. so the black brackets blend right in. They have white and silver also. The best part is that they were a little over a dollar each.
© Axiom Message Boards