Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ksfx Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 12:58 AM
Hi all! First post...long time reader. I'm putting together my first HT setup and am looking for speaker recommendations for my large room. I'm figuring on either M60 or M80s, VP150, & QS8s. I have a Denon 3805 refurb on the way. Do you think I should bother with 6.1 or 7.1 rear surrounds due to the back wall being so far away? What are your suggestions for a great sub in such a large space?

Thanks to Dave (al1en) for the great audition. It was great to experience my first awesome HT setup. WOW...that's a big sub Dave! I wonder if a SVS PB12–Plus/2 will be enough for me?

Here is my plan, which is pretty much to scale.

Posted By: michael_d Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 01:22 AM
With a room that size, I’d be putting in a projector with a big ol’ screen and two rows of seats. You can always suspend the surround backs anywhere you’d like. I think for optimal sound from the SB’s, you want them AT LEAST 6 feet behind the back seats. Heck, you’d still have enough room for a pool table.

For sub, I’d go with two EP 500’s, or preferably, two EP 600’s.
Posted By: RickF Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 02:11 AM
Hi, and welcome Ksfx ... to expand on the good advice from Michael I'd certainly favor the M80 floorstanders for your application, I personally believe they would fit the bill right nice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 02:41 AM
Another welcome ksfx.:)

That is a nice sized room, mine is a little bigger. I also have 9ft ceilings. I have m60's ep500 vp150 and 4 Qs8's driven by a Denon 2805. I could not be more happy. A lot depends on your budget. The m80's are similar to the m60's, they play to more crazy levels. Believe me, I was into all the 70's and 80's metal bands, and the 60's play plenty loud for me.

I also think you could consider a projector setup. Is the room already finished? If so, it will be more difficult to run the wiring. If not, you can put togethor a killer HT room.

good luck..Randy

Posted By: RickF Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 02:48 AM
I kinda figured it wouldn't be but just a few minutes before that M80 idea would be shot down.

Oh well.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 03:05 AM
You know if I owned m80's I would be on the bandwagon. Why didn't I spend the extra few bucks.
Posted By: ksfx Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 12:23 PM
Yeah, I'd love to do a projector setup, but the room is already finished. This was a new house 5 years ago. We finished the basement ourselves, despite it taking almost 5 years to do it. We knew that we wouldn't stay in this house forever so I didn't get carried away. I just did a basic 5.1 prewire based on a small amount of research. I've since done tons more research and now wished that I had done a few more things, but all in all I did a pretty good job with wire placement. Right now we have a 32" Zenith CRT which I hope to upgrade to around a 50" plasma before too long. I'm anticipating more price drops after the first of the year, so maybe then.

I already have pre-approval for a dedicated room in the next house, so will probably go with a projector there. However, I can't wait any longer for a HT setup...I WANNA ROCK RIGHT NOW!!!

I plan to contact Axiom & SVS & will report back my findings for their suggestions.

Anybody know of an Axiom discount code or coupon? lol
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 01:44 PM
It is real easy to use a wall or a $30 piece of Parkland Durotherm panels for a screen to hang on the wall. Also, projectors don't have to hang from the ceiling, they can sit on a shelf or endtable.

talk to you later...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/15/06 03:15 PM
Quote:

You know if I owned m80's I would be on the bandwagon. Why didn't I spend the extra few bucks.

Well, grab 2 M80s, another EP500, 2 rca couplers, and you got th 5% off discount, this sounds like a good plan...

I am just living vicariously through you until I get my speakers, haha.
Posted By: ksfx Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/18/06 10:57 AM
Does anybody have any thoughts about putting 2 SVS PB12–Plus/2 subs in this room?
Posted By: Rik Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/18/06 03:12 PM
Quote:

Does anybody have any thoughts about putting 2 SVS PB12–Plus/2 subs in this room?

yeah... cool. Anything worth doing is worth over doing.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/18/06 08:03 PM
>>Does anybody have any thoughts about putting 2 SVS PB12–Plus/2 subs in this room?

My only question would be whether you would plan to run them in stock tune (25 Hz) or tune them down to 20 or 16 Hz. You have a nice big room and should be able to get very deep, smooth response, so you might want the subs to roll off a bit deeper than a 25 Hz Plus/2 does. If you *were* going to tune them down to 20 Hz, however, you *might* be better off with something like a pair of Ultras (20 Hz native tune) instead of the Plus/2s; SVS could advise better.

Your lowest room peaks will be around 16, 30 and 32 Hz so you are going to need lots of energy in the 20-25 Hz range to keep a flat response. I would be thinking about a 20 Hz tune rather than 25 myself.

One nice thing about a box sub is that you could put one of them behind the sofa which is the main listening position, just put one of those "console tables" (or whatever you call the table that decorators always want to put behind the sofa) to bridge over the sub so that it doesn't get in the way.
Posted By: ksfx Re: Need advice for new large room HT - 11/21/06 07:55 AM
Well I finally pulled the trigger....ordered up 2 M60s, 1 VP150, and 2 QS8s. Still debating the sub situation. Thank you all for your input.

Do any of you plug your subs into a surge protector? Is it necessary or is there some protection built into the amps? There are single plug protectors available and I thought about using one of those. I currently have one on my garage door opener. I have bigger/better ones I use around the house.
© Axiom Message Boards