Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pstonge HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:05 AM
I have a very strange bedroom where I have my HT set up. I am making some changes and was hoping for some suggestions from the experts here. The picture attached is drawn to scale (or as close as I could get) and I have placed in pink the places I was considering relocating my left channel speaker and my two new surrounds I am getting. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to how better to layout the room, I would love to here them.
Thanks in advance.
You can see the layout here:
My Bedroom
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:07 AM
The link is not working for me? Welcome by the way.
Posted By: Wid Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:09 AM

Not working here either.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:44 AM
It just started working, and below it is... drum role...

Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:51 AM
I'm a little confused, I assume you watch from your bed? If so, you have the speakers on the left side of the room labled as "right", and the speakers on the right side of the room labled as "left"? Where do you live?

Why would you not want the TV in the center of the room, where you have your bookcase? That way, it is lined up with the rear surrounds. Now since your bed is against the back wall, you may not want to go with 7.1 setup, but I would move your left/right surrounds to the left/right of the listening position. Also, I think the sub needs to be moved instead of hiding it in the hallway? You have a very interesting problem.
Posted By: JohnK Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 04:02 AM
PS, welcome. If your usual listening/viewing spot will be the bed, why isn't the TV where the bookcase is shown? That wider positioning for the surrounds should be better, especially if they aren't wide dispersion speakers such as the QSs.
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 12:48 PM
You folks are right on the money. I mistakenly mislabeled the Surrounds (Right/Left). They are located on their correct sides of the room. As for the TV not being where the bookcase is located, we wired the house to the other spot because there would not have been much space between the "rack" and the bed, leaving very little passing room. Now that I have a flat screen, yes, I would have wired the house differently and hung the TV on the wall, but it is too late for that. The sub is actually tucked in the "corner" against the wall where the hall meets the bedroom (I could not place it accurately in the diagram). My main concern now is where to mount my new surrounds (when I get them). I think the center, front and subs are in the best place I can feasibly put them with my current room configuration (we remodeled two years ago).
So, having clarified my situation, where do you folks think I should hang my surrounds (height, ceiling, wall, stand, etc.)? Thanks for your collective patience.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 01:38 PM
One option might be to move your bed to the left which would put it more in front of the television and center channel speaker. The center is where the dialog from moves comes from, so it would be best to be as close in front of that as possible.

It appears your planning on moving the right speaker over to the left side of the bookshelf, so maybe moving the bed a little to line up with that change would make sense.

For the surrounds, are you getting Qs4's or Qs8's? If so, maybe put the left surround along the left wall in the new location you have noted. Then leave the right surround along the back wall between that back window and the bed. Since the Q series speakers have 2 tweeters firing to the left and right, I think that would work good. If you put it clear over on the right wall, that might be to far.
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 02:16 PM
I cannot move the bed to the left because there is a fireplace there (it used to be a living room but we tore the wall down in the middle and made it a big bedroom, hence the strange configuration).
I already moved the front right speaker between the bookcase and the bathroom door and it has made a big difference.
As for the surrounds, I think I will try to mount them where you have suggested. I am looking at Klipsch RS-10's (the rest of my speakers are Klipsch Research series) for the surrounds and was wondering how high and in what direction I should point and mount them. I do not know if they are Dipole or Bipole speakers.
Thanks.
RS-10's
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 02:48 PM
Dude, what are you doing on an Axiom forum then?
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 02:53 PM
I was not sure what it was when I signed up other than the fact that the postings seemed helpful and the members seemed knowledgeable. I did not even know Axiom made speakers until I read more about the site. I Googled my request and found a posting in this forum.
Sorry if I offended anyone or I am not supposed to be here.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 02:59 PM
nope, there are many people on this forum that don't currently own Axiom speakers. We need to get you upgraded from Klipsch to Axiom. I used to own a Klipsch setup, and I can honestly tell you Axiom is more of an audiophile grade versus Klipsch, which is sold in Retail stores.

Maybe you should start with some Qs4's or Qs8's. For speaker matching, the left and right front should match the center, however, the surrounds can be another brand. I have yet to find a surround that beats the Q series. They are not dipole or bipole, but actualy a quadpolar design with all four drivers firing in phase. One woofer shooting up, one shooting down, and two tweeters firing to the left/right similiar to the Klipsch your looking at.
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:04 PM
I assume the Q's are more expensive and if so, how much?
I guess my questions would be where would you suggest to mount the Klipsch and/or the Axioms given my room configuration?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 03:12 PM
If you can't move your bed, maybe placing your surrounds to the left and right would not be a bad idea. How wide is your room? You can always adjust the dB levels and distance settings on the receiver to fit the placement. I would experiment by placing them on a step ladder or whatever and moving them around until your happy.

If you click the "Store" link at the top of this website, that will take you to the pricing sections. There is regular pricing and factory outlet pricing. Many of us buy from the factory outlet if your not in a big hurry. These are still new speakers, just may have a very very small blemish or nick during manufacturing, so the QA department sends them to the FO. You get 10% off on all FO speakers, and if you buy 5 or more items, you always get 5% additional.

QS4's Reg price $210/ea FO price $189/ea
QS8's Reg price $265/ea FO price $238/ea
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/15/06 04:05 PM
Dude, you are screwed...having the tv over to the side and the speakers there as well is not going to work too good no matter what you do. And the subwoofer in the hallway, how is that working for you? Seems like it would sound better if it was in the room with you.
Posted By: SkiTaos Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/16/06 12:17 AM
I just don't think that room is ment for a HT setup! It just is not ideal for proper viewing of the TV and Imaging of the speakers system. Sorry!
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/16/06 12:20 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.
What is the BEST I can do with the hand I have been dealt?
Thanks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/16/06 01:01 AM
Where do you sit when you watch movies, on the bed, or do you have chairs you have not shown in the drawing? If you sit on the bed, and it can't be moved to the left at all, then maybe it would be best to do as I mentioned above, move the left surround to the left wall, and place the right surround in the original right surround location, or place it on a stand on the right side of the bed facing the left walled surround. If it was me, I would move these speakers to a room in the house that will work better for HT.
Posted By: pstonge Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/16/06 01:05 AM
How about ceiling surrounds?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HT Set-Up Advise (Strange Room) - 11/16/06 01:07 AM
The Q's can be mounted on the ceiling with a variety of methods, DIY mounts, Omnimounts, Axioms bracket,etc... The question is how are you going to run the wiring?
© Axiom Message Boards