Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 09:32 PM
Hey gang, I did some searches before posting but came up empty, so here goes.

Going to help out a friend install a 6.1 system and he wants to run the speaker cables in the wall / ceiling for a clean look, ie: no visible cables. Question is: should I get the "UL / CSA approved" in-wall cables, usually in a thick rubber jacket etc.. or can I use standard 14AWG or 12AWG speaker cables ?

Thanks !

Stephane
Posted By: Hutzal Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 09:34 PM
you should use in-wall speaker rated cables for following code.

bluejeanscables.com has 12 guage in wall grey jacket speaker cable for 0.38 cents/ft....very cheap if you ask me.
Posted By: Riker Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:43 PM
Thanks Robb,

Any Canadian equivalent to bluejeans ? does not look like they ship to Ottawa :-(

I'm sure I can pick up something very similar locally, but I will probably pay a lot more than .38 a foot.

Steph
Posted By: SkiTaos Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:45 PM
I used Kimber Kable Kwik 12 and have really liked it! They also make a 16 gauge Kwik 16. I would recommend the Kwik 12 for all lengths. I figured if its in the wall, I should get a good cable and install the largest gauge while I'm at it. The Kwik 12 goes for around $1.20 a foot.

Kimber.Com
Posted By: Riker Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:46 PM
Actually, what about the Axiom bulk speaker wire ? it is jacketed in a "rugerized" rubber for "custom installation", like in wall perhaps ? I don't mind paying $1.05 a foot if it's good cable and I get it shipped here for free.
Posted By: Riker Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:47 PM
Hi Skitaos,

Is that $1.20 US or Canadian ?

Steph
Posted By: SkiTaos Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:49 PM
That would be US currency!
Posted By: Wid Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/28/06 11:55 PM
I went to a local custom install shop and bought 16/4 in wall wire for my H/T. I then combined two of the four for my + and did the same for my - . I paid 25 cents a foot, when the 2 16 ga wires are combined it's the same as 13 ga wire. Hard to beat that for the price.
Posted By: HAY Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/29/06 01:40 PM
Quote:

Going to help out a friend install a 6.1 system and he wants to run the speaker cables in the wall / ceiling for a clean look

Are you going to run a 7th channel for future proofing as well? If you're going through the walls, now's the time..
Posted By: Hutzal Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/29/06 02:43 PM
Quote:

Thanks Robb,

Any Canadian equivalent to bluejeans ? does not look like they ship to Ottawa :-(

I'm sure I can pick up something very similar locally, but I will probably pay a lot more than .38 a foot.

Steph

THey ship internationally. You should have no problem with getting their shipment in Onterio.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/29/06 07:44 PM
Home depot has some nice in wall 12 gauge available. I used it for my basement reno project and it worked out quite well. I believe it was about $.90 per metre.
Posted By: Riker Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/29/06 11:21 PM
Thanks Robb.. after looking past my nose, I to discovered that they could ship to Ottawa.

Their prices are very good and their products are very decent for sure. Right now I am definitively leaning towards getting all of his cables from Bluejeans.com , speaker, interconnects etc..
Posted By: Hutzal Re: In wall speaker cables - 11/30/06 03:15 PM
Quote:

Thanks Robb.. after looking past my nose, I to discovered that they could ship to Ottawa.

Their prices are very good and their products are very decent for sure. Right now I am definitively leaning towards getting all of his cables from Bluejeans.com , speaker, interconnects etc..

Riker,

After doing alot of research on prices and such, I discovered that blujeanscable.com has the best overal price for bulk 12 guage (wrapped in a PVC sleeve)

For all the other cables (HDMI, component, optical coaxial, etc...) I would goto monoprice.com. They by far have the best prices for video cables on the internet.

Monoprice also has bulk 12 guage, but if you do the calculations, blue jeans cable is 10 cents less per foot than monoprice, and blue jeans cable looks alot better. Monoprice beats blue jeans for price in all the video cabling.

Make sure that if you are running all your cables in the walls, to get CL2 rated (or in-wall rated) cable for all the cables you are running in the walls including video.
© Axiom Message Boards