Axiom Home Page
Posted By: laurien FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 07:42 PM
All the myriad pieces of our new living room/entertainment center were supposed to be here right around Halloween. But the EC was backordered so today is the first day we have had it all put pretty much put together. Better late than never I guess. The rosewood M60's are gorgeous and look awesome (IMHO) with the EC. Of course more importantly, the sound is stellar! Here is a link if you would like to take a look (I just had to include one of the view outside our window as well):

And I actually have the Universal remote working (mostly-I can't quite get the complete power-on/poweroff thing timed right).

My problem is that though I order the Axiom wall mount brackets for the surrounds, I need one bracket that comes out another 3 inches and preferably swivels-I don't like the way the curtains hang around the surround-it needs to be directed more to the front of the room (see the fourth picture) and come out farther. Can any one recommend a good wall mount bracket alternative?

While Halloween came late, Christmas came early ;-)
Laurie

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNW7lm2Yt3Gg
Posted By: laurien Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 07:51 PM
Small clarification, it is the fourth picture in the album that shows the wall-mounted speaker that I want to come out further, but the actually name of the picture is HomeEntertaininmentCenter002.jpg.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Laurie
Posted By: richeydog Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 07:51 PM
Wow!
Posted By: laurien Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reaction Richeydog! You are officially the first to see the new room in our new house (we have only been here 14 weeks now).

We kinda like it

-Laurie
Posted By: Ajax Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 08:31 PM
What Richeydog said. WOW! What a warm, inviting, comfortable room. Though I, very much, like the room, I must say the view from your window is breathtakingly beautiful.

I see you are watching Wake Forest vs. Georgia Tech. Good, tight, defensive game.

If I may make one small suggestion, you might consider propping up the rear edge of your VP150 center channel so that it is angled down toward the ears of whomever has reserved the sweet spot at the end of the sofa. That would probably improve the intelligibility of dialog. You could use just about anything that would do the job, because whatever you use will be out of sight. Many use those inexpensive, angled, rubber door stops which can be found just about anywhere. Your center is very high up, so you may need something a bit larger to achieve the proper angle.
Posted By: dllewel Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 08:42 PM
Wow Laurie! You have a beautiful home. The speakers look very nice in there. I know they will give you years of high quality sound.

Enjoy.
Posted By: laurien Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 08:52 PM
Ajax,

Only good game on today, but it is a commercial right now, so...

It is funny that you mentioned that. Hubby and I were just talking about the center and what we needed to do to it. We thought of getting rubber hockey pucks but the angled door stop idea is fantastic. We were going to Home Depot after the game anyway ;-)

And thank you for the description of the room. I got to furnish and paint it from scratch and that was exactly the feel I was going for. It was a blast picking out stuff and I have to tell you I bought most of it individually from pictures on Internet web sites and I was pretty nervous if the whole room was going to come together. Still waiting for my counter stools to get deliverd (kitchen is open adjacent to this room) and the mirror for the wineboard that is in the back of the room.

No family around to share our excitement about our new house so it is wonderful to have you guys here be so nice. I am planning to have a big party in the next couple of weeks which my DH says I want just so I can hear people ooh and aaah. Well, I love parties, but that will be an added perk.
;-)

-Laurie
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 09:24 PM
Quote:

I am planning to have a big party in the next couple of weeks which my DH says I want just so I can hear people ooh and aaah.

What time do you want us there?

Beeeee-Youtiful room!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 10:04 PM
Wow! ...another setup (along with the whole house & view) to envy. Simply gorgeous, Laurie! If you'd like to post *more* pictures of the rest of your home, feel free to do so. The rest of it has got to be just as lovely!
Posted By: minnichs2 Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 10:20 PM
Nice room and set-up, it looks great, but I must admit that the view is priceless
Posted By: Ajax Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 10:55 PM
Quote:

Ajax,

Only good game on today, but it is a commercial right now, so...

Not a fan of USC or UCLA, huh?

Quote:

It is funny that you mentioned that. Hubby and I were just talking about the center and what we needed to do to it. We thought of getting rubber hockey pucks but the angled door stop idea is fantastic. We were going to Home Depot after the game anyway ;-)

Not sure the door stops will tilt the speaker enough, but worth a try.

Quote:

...just so I can hear people ooh and aaah.

Well, you've earned those oohs and aaahs. Enjoy them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/02/06 11:10 PM
What a wonderful room you have their Laurie, the scenery is like a picture from Better Homes and Gardens. I would also echo Jacks recommendation of trying to angle the Center speaker downward a bit if possible. Idealy, you really want the center and left/right tweeters inline, however, it appears you have no way to lower the center with your entertainment center. So, the next best option would be to direct the sound towards you.
Posted By: RickF Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 12:09 AM
Wow, your home is absolutely gorgeous Laurien, the speakers look as though they were made for your home. Thanks for sharing the pics of your beautiful home.

Have you aimed that center channel down a little yet?

Posted By: HomeDad Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 12:16 AM
Very nice Laurien, another option for the center channel would be to raise the TV a little bit and place the center speaker directly in front of the TV.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 12:38 AM
Quote:

place the center speaker directly in front of the TV.

Now THERE'S a man who puts sound quality WAY above picture quality!!
Posted By: Wid Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 01:20 AM

Not much to add that hasn't been said BUT WOW is right. What a beautiful room.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 06:30 AM
Laurie, you should be ashamed of yourself for making me feel so bad about my own home decor.

Seriously, your room is absolutely stunning. The Axioms look stellar with that EC. Well, jeez, the whole rooms goes together well. What more can I say?

By the way, I'll be looking for my party invitation in the mail. And, yes, I will be holding my breath until it comes. So there.
Posted By: laurien Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 04:01 PM
Well St PatGuy, California isn't too long a drive, though I think coming from New Hampshire might be stretching it a bit for Mark. But anytime you all are in Utah, feel free to stop by. The best parties are spontaneous!

Ajax, I phrased that wrong. The Wake Forest game was the only good game on right *then*, USC came after ;-)

And we did get the door stops yesterday, but still thinking about how to better align the center, and at least angle it down some more. The sound is still pretty premo after we fine tuned the calibration some more. I really like the Yamaha 2700 receiver with the Axioms. And HD on the Pansonic 9UK is pretty stunning.

Still have lots I want to do in this and in the other rooms(dining room is coming along nicely), but didn't think this was the right board to post those pics-at least until I get more Axioms for those rooms. :-)

I never had a chance to really "decorate" a room before, but it really is a lot of fun. Maybe we could collaborate on yours St PatGuy. Maybe interior design will be my third career.

We looked at 54 houses this summer before we bought this one-though we knew as soon as we drove up it was the house for us. And while I have waited almost 30 years to get my dream house, I wasn't just posting to show off-really. I really am looking for someone to recommend a more extensible wall bracket to use with the back surround?

Thanks for all the lovely compliments,
Laurie
Posted By: Ken.C Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 05:03 PM
Oi! What about the Big Game? Go Bears!

Gorgeous room, btw. Love the view, you lucky, lucky person!
Posted By: michael_d Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 08:21 PM
Well I reckon I'll have to be the first to ask about the SPEAKERS....

What wood/finish are they? They sure look purty and fit in with your wonderful room very nicely.
Posted By: laurien Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 09:50 PM
The speakers are the Epic 60 VaSSallo Series 500 5.1 in rosewood with the natural stain and the low gloss satin finish with black accents. I chose the the Entertainment center as it was the smallest one that would fit between the 2 windows and look good with the speakers.

Probably not a lot of women who designed their living room around their speakers, but I always have been a little different.

-Laurie
Posted By: Ajax Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/03/06 11:56 PM
Quote:

Ajax, I phrased that wrong. The Wake Forest game was the only good game on right *then*, USC came after ;-)

You phrased it well enough that I understood what you meant. I was just giving you a good natured hard time.

Quote:

I really am looking for someone to recommend a more extensible wall bracket to use with the back surround?

Not sure what you mean by "extensible." If you can elaborate, you'll probably get some good suggestions.

Quote:

Probably not a lot of women who designed their living room around their speakers, but I always have been a little different.

I don't know if you have any idea just how different that is. Were you not already spoken for, I suspect you would be receiving numerous proposals (not to be confused with propositions, although knowing the ribald satyrs that frequent this forum, you might receive some of those as well. ).
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 06:24 AM
Quote:

I never had a chance to really "decorate" a room before, but it really is a lot of fun. Maybe we could collaborate on yours St PatGuy.

If something can be done to hide my roommate's empty beer cans and his bird's poop, I'm all for it.

Now if I can just figure out a way to disable the volume button on his TV. . .uh oh, I'm venting. . .better go now.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 12:16 PM
Quote:

uh oh, I'm venting. . .better go now.

Funny. When I 'vent' usually it's the other people that decide to leave.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 02:28 PM
Very nice room. Simple, elegant and comfortable looking. By the way what TV is that? I can't quite make it out.
Posted By: KC23 Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 03:24 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Well done!!!

Did anyone mention about that center speaker? (j/k)
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 03:52 PM
Huzzah! Wow. A newb comes in and puts most of us grizzled vets to shame. Very nice setup! As far as your unveiling party, it's not that bad of drive to the land of the Ute from PDX...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/04/06 08:55 PM
Quote:

ribald satyrs

Good show, Jack!

Laurie, you have a lovely home. I hope you and your family will enjoy it for many years to come.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned propping something under the back of the center channel speaker. Our northern neighbors often use hockey pucks. Perhaps a wad of duct tape would be appropriate in the South. At any rate, I like to put those ~3/8" stick-on vinyl bumpers on the front, bottom outside corners of speakers in such installations, but I live in earthquake country.

You might want to consider moving your main speakers forward into the room just a bit more (so that they are in line with the front plane of the entertainment center). While it seems like a very small adjustment (and may not be possible on the right), having early reflections could muddy the sountstage somewhat. Give it a shot and see if you perceive a difference.

Same thing with the sub. Consider moving it around a bit and conduct some listening tests. Sometimes, even a few inches can make a difference with room interactions at lower frequencies.

As to your surround dilemma, MarkSJohnson mounted his surrounds to a nicely finished wood plate due to plaster concerns. Perhaps simply mounting your existing (FMB?) bracket to a nicely proportioned and polished piece of trim would give you the additional spacing you need. I guess it depends on how much extension you need. The sturdiest of the Omnimount brackets might help, but I don't know if they are actually deeper than the FMB. Note that the amount of force increases very significantly the farther away from the wall you have the weight, so make sure you're hitting a stud or are otherwise comfortable with the security of the mount.

Congrats on a beautiful room!
Posted By: JohnK Re: FINALLY...It's all here! - 12/05/06 02:33 AM
Yes Laurie, your room is done beautifully indeed. As Jack and Tom mentioned, some suggestions might be tilting the center channel downward to point at your ears(was there not enough space immediately on top of the TV?), and moving the mains forward so that they're flush with the front of the entertainment center, to minimize diffractions/reflections from it.
© Axiom Message Boards