Axiom Home Page
Posted By: real80sman Pictures - 12/13/06 08:15 PM
Well, I finally got around to taking some pictures of the great room, and I thought I'd post them. Yes, the 27" Sony is a joke in that room, but according to my wife there are lots of other things to come before a new TV.

Eventually, the plan is to put a fairly large fireplace where the TV is now, and move the system into a "true" theatre in the basement. But that's a long ways off.

As you can see, the only place for the QS8's was on the back wall. This works amazingly well and I'm quite happy with how they sound there. I've never heard a set of 8's on the sides where they "belong", but for those of you who can't put them there, I wouldn't worry - you'll be fine at the back.

We still need to get an area rug in the middle, but all the ones my wife likes are 2 to 3 grand, so consequently - no rug.

Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 08:19 PM
Gorgeous room, Shawn!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 08:29 PM
ditto. I love your Christmas tree. Oh, the Axioms are pretty cool also. lol
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 08:33 PM
Very nice Shawn, you could fit a monster of a TV in that room
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 08:47 PM
Nice!

I can picture a large tv mounted to the wall.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 09:14 PM
Looks really good- a very nice home you have.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 09:52 PM
Very nice! With a room like that, I bet you're glad you got the EP600.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 09:52 PM
Very nice, the size of that room actually make s the QS8's look quite small almost the size of 4's. But this is the first I can recall that the VP150 overshadowed the TV

My wife says the same to me as yours does to you, when TV talk starts.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 10:44 PM
Shawn, that's a great looking room but i hope for your sake you aren't wishing for a white christmas.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 10:55 PM
Shawn, you have a lovely home. Thanks for the pictures!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures - 12/13/06 11:19 PM
>>We still need to get an area rug in the middle, but all the ones my wife likes are 2 to 3 grand

Tell her that a larger TV would look much better than a rug for less than 3 grand!

Room looks awsome!
Posted By: richeydog Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 12:31 AM
TV? What tv? I don't know what you're talking about...At least you got a killer sound system.

Room looks great. Couch looks very comfy. Thanks for letting us into your home.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 12:58 AM
Very nice room!

And, you might know your TV is due for an upgrade when the speaker on top of it is BIGGER than the TV itself.
Posted By: INANE Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 04:25 AM
Very nice. You'll get the TV someday.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 08:19 AM
Looks good, Shawn. Can't tell exactly from the picture, but the QS8s might be only about 3' behind the couch, and if so they're positioned very little different from the suggested side wall position about 2' farther back than the listening position when the setup is 5.1 rather than 7.1.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. But of course, I can't take credit. Everything in the house (except for the Axiom's) is my wifes doing. My job is to show up, don't ask questions, load the van, don't ask questions, then go back in and pay. Oh yeah, and don't ask questions.

Peter: Really glad I went with the 600. The immediate room is 6800 cu ft but, (depending on what you count in) is open to ~ 12,000 to 15,000 cu ft. Even with that volume, it pressurizes things quite nicely. But the room nodes/modes have been wicked. I've tried that thing in a number of locations, and that left corner is the best peak/null and wife/marriage compromise.

John: The sofa/couch is exactly 3ft off the back wall. The bottom of the 8's are 74" off the floor, and they are about 15ft apart. Because of the openess and lack of reflective boundarys, by ear, I've got them goosed by about 2 to 3 Db.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 07:44 PM
I love your new avatar, Shawn.
Posted By: RickF Re: Pictures - 12/14/06 10:04 PM
Your home is extremely nice Shawn, the system fits very well and the 600 looks mighty comfortable ... I know the 600 can be tricky regarding placement but I'm glad you found a suitable location. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Pictures - 01/01/07 02:51 AM
Who's job is it to catch the lamp during the loudest scenes of your favorite movies? I forsee a new sub rating system in the works...
1 star = lamp moving
2 stars = lamp tipping over
3 stars = lamp falling over
4 stars = lamp falling off the sub

Happpy New Year !!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Pictures - 01/01/07 02:55 AM
Jim, welcome back! Happy New Year to you too, and hope that you'll be able to join us more often in '07.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Pictures - 01/01/07 03:56 PM
Huge room.
Great tree.

It would be interesting to hear how the speakers sound in a room with so much volume.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Pictures - 01/05/07 12:24 PM
Jim, the boys at Axiom did an amazing job with cabinet resonances, so luckily there have been no mad sprints to catch falling decor! Although, it would get my wife to stop putting stuff up there.

Chess, the sound is very "open" and unconstrained, although the room is a bit on the "live" side. A throw rug really is in order. If you ever make it out to SW Ontario, look me up!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Pictures - 01/05/07 02:15 PM
Quote:

the sound is very "open" and unconstrained, although the room is a bit on the "live" side

I think i know what you mean. I believe i prefer a smaller room, more intimate sound enclosure. Our main floor is rather 'open' as well (not as tall ceilings but some are 12' and it is open into the large kitchen and nook with hardwood and laminate flooring, no heavy curtains). The media room is much more sound dampened and smaller and sealed. The sound for anything i've put down there so far has been stellar, just absolutly stellar.
Jordan and a few others have come around for auditions and they can attest to some of the great sound sessions we've done.

Quote:

If you ever make it out to SW Ontario, look me up!

I will be in the KW area sometime this year for the 50th UW anniversary. Alumni are returning en masse.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Pictures - 01/05/07 03:46 PM
I'm still waiting for you to visit your long-lost brother.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Pictures - 01/05/07 04:25 PM
I publicly attest to the great sound over at Chessaroo's place. Job well done.

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: DallasAxiom Re: Pictures - 01/05/07 08:16 PM
Hmmm 2-3K rug or 2-3K TV...hmmm... tough choice... NOT
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Pictures - 01/06/07 02:22 AM
Quote:

I'm still waiting for you to visit your long-lost brother.

Yes Peter and unfortunately my visit to KW will happen long before i see my brother again.
I think it's been about 2 years now and counting.

Now with these new passport regulations in effect, i have to get my application in and done before i can fly to the US anymore.
What a pain.
The Canadian snowbirds are all crashing the government gates lately so the waiting time is huge.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Pictures - 01/07/07 04:41 AM
Thank you John. I'll try to stop by more often in '07. Building a new house will limit my abilities to do anything but fight with the contractor. When it's time to design my "selfish room", I'll be around to ask for plenty of advice.
© Axiom Message Boards