Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bayne Seeking HT Advice - Pics Posted - 12/17/06 08:25 PM
Below are some photos of my current home theatre set-up and a rough floor plan with room dimensions. At the end of January I'm planning on buying an Epic 60/500 system and am wondering if you think I'll hear any real difference between a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 set-up? I’m willing to buy a 7.1 set-up, but because of the room size, I’m not too sure if it’ll make all that much difference over good old 5.1. I’m leaning toward a 7.1 set-up because I’ll also be purchasing a new Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver when I get my speakers, and later next year I hope to get either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player.

Should I save my money and go with 7.1? Would 6.1 be just as good considering the room size? Or should I just stick with 5.1?

Posted By: jakewash Re: Seeking HT Advice - Pics Posted - 12/17/06 08:52 PM
Not much width to benefit from 7.1 but I definitely like my 6.1 compared to 5.1. 3QS8's all around the back and you are IN the action.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Seeking HT Advice - Pics Posted - 12/18/06 03:03 AM
Bayne, nice mounting on those side surrounds. The 5.1/7.1 question(if you go with back surround you might as well use two, for a stereo effect with DPLIIx or Logic 7)depends more on how much space you have behind your sitting position for a back surround effect to develop, rather than simply room size. According to your numbers you'd have about 4 1/2', which should be enough to make it worthwhile. Separate them enough so that the usual listening positions get both a left and right rear effect.
Posted By: Bayne Re: Seeking HT Advice - Pics Posted - 12/18/06 04:55 PM
The rears would be about 4.5 feet behind the listening position, but in a 7.1 set-up, they would only be about 4 feet apart. I'm starting to believe that 6.1 might be the way to go for my room.
© Axiom Message Boards