Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sonicfox I've missed something... - 01/08/07 05:35 PM
I've been out of the loop for awhile and obviously missed the post of Randy's (sirquack) informing us of his new M80's! When did that happen? Randy...will you be giving us a review of them soon? Congrats, BTW! But now I'm *really* jealous of your theater!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 05:53 PM
I have "heard" of these so called "new" speakers he has ordered, but have yet to see any evidence!

Posted By: SirQuack Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 06:11 PM
Sonic, you missed that I upgraded to an ep600 as well. Received my new 7.1 system in "Ebony" finish Wednesday. I've been busy when I have time setting everything up, boxing up the previous speakers so the new owner will come get them, and finding time to listen/calibrate eveything.

I'll try to get some new pics asap. I think with the dark finish, it will be hard to get great pictures. I may have to borrow my dad's digital as it is better than mine.

So far I'm very impressed with the sound from the 80's, there is a difference from the 60's. The ep600 is unbelievable and outperforms the 500 so far.

My new Emotiva amp is due to arrive tomorrow.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 06:12 PM
ps: Ken also got 80's and Peter got an ep500 while you have been missing in action.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 06:27 PM
I'll have pics from our shootout this evening. The camera's at home, and I was too tired (and a tad tipsy) last night to post anything.
Posted By: dllewel Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 07:09 PM
Funny how quickly some things that for so long seem immune to change, are transformed into something new. It's the unstoppable way of life (or at least home theater)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I've missed something... - 01/08/07 11:27 PM
Quote:

ps: Ken also got 80's and Peter got an ep500 while you have been missing in action.

Plus, Craig got a 500.

You and I have to upgrade, Mary! Welcome back!
Posted By: Wid Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 01:12 AM

I think JohnK also got a EP500.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 01:40 AM
Yep, I forgot about that. Now he just needs an amp and some 80's.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 01:45 AM
Quote:

Yep, I forgot about that. Now he just needs an amp and some 80's

Then John would need a Horizontal 80 as a center
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 01:57 AM
You guys are all crazy. Or maybe I shouldn't alienate myself and go with "dedicated" instead. It's very impressive that you keep track of everyone's gear.

Nick
Posted By: BrenR Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 05:34 AM
Quote:

It's very impressive that you keep track of everyone's gear.

More a B&E shopping list, if you will.

Bren R.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 09:17 AM
Quote:

My new Emotiva amp is due to arrive tomorrow.

I thought all that gear over on that other sight was only to be used with their speakers. Are you sure the Emotiva is Axiom rated . Couldn't wait till Ian brings out his electronics, I think you need to hand over all your Axiom gear to me for that.
Posted By: richeydog Re: I've missed something... - 01/09/07 08:56 PM
You probably know this, but that other site doesn't sell Emotiva anymore.

Emotiva Audio has their own website now.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I've missed something... - 01/10/07 01:09 AM
I had noticed only just before Christmas, but I think Randy should still hand over his speakers for not waiting for the Axiom amps. It would definately cure the bug I can't seem to shake........
Posted By: Tarun Re: I've missed something... - 01/10/07 02:04 AM
So which emotiva did you buy? Curiosity kills the cat.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I've missed something... - 01/10/07 02:59 AM
I can see Randy going MIA, I'm sure he's playing with his MPS-1 right now and blowing out the neighbors with that, the 80's and the EP600
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I've missed something... - 01/10/07 04:58 AM
Hey Jakewash and others.

Just came up from setting it all up. Could not turn it up to much as the wife and kids were sleeping.

Based on Audioholics reviews of the future Axiom amp, I don't think it would have been in my budget. I ordered the MPS-1 Chassis with two EPM-300 monoblocks for now. Only set me back $700 bucks. Over time I will purchase additional mono's a few of their 2-channel EPM-2150's to drive the surrounds, followed by a future Emotiva PreAmp in the future. For now the Denon is doing great.

I am VERY impressed at the build quality of the MPS-1, they did not cheat on anything and used the best components possible. The Toroidal and Capacitors are the best of the best. Gene's review on Audioholics also confirms how he was amazed at the build quality which is normally only found in amps costing much much more. The chassis weights 33lbs, and each epm-300 weighs 12lbs a piece.

I took some pictures, but it may be a bit before I can get them posted. I've got a busy week at work with a big upgrade this weekend.

I don't think this is a major issue, but I did notice a faint sound coming from both 80's when the system is on. I have to get really close to hear it. From the tweeters is sounds like static, and as I move down to the midrange and then the woofers, it is more of a faint hum(buzz) sound.

I turned everything off except the amp and still hear the noise in the speakers. It could be some cable issue as I used really cheap (red/white) audio patch cord type connects from the preouts on my Denon to the RCA-IN on the amp. When I have more time I'll try to figure that out.

I'm tired and going to hit the sack, later...
© Axiom Message Boards