Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kevin_obrien M60 seating distance - 01/10/07 08:01 PM
I'm planning to buy some M60's and have been hearing about seating distance to sound good. My room is about 15x14 and my seating distance will be 9.5 feet from the M60's will this be to close? I'm planning on M60's, qs8's and an ep 500
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M60 seating distance - 01/10/07 08:08 PM
With my previous m60's I was sitting about 12ft away and they were great. They sure would play loud in that smaller room.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 seating distance - 01/10/07 08:09 PM

You will be fine with the M60s at that distance. I have M80s and sit 10.5 feet away with no problems. That's a nice system you have picked out, you are going to love them.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: M60 seating distance - 01/10/07 11:50 PM
80s 10 feet away - no problems also. 60s sgould be fine!
Posted By: Spice Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 12:28 AM
Just before Christmas I put in M60s, VP100, QS8 & EP350 with a 9 foot seating distance. No problems at all with an awesome soundstage. The QS8s blow me away! I still have some fine tuning to do once I get an SPL Meter.

That's a great setup that you will fully enjoy.
Posted By: kevin_obrien Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 02:36 PM
Ok Perfect, I just want to make sure this is all going to work the way I want. This is my first high end system and have been keeping a close eye on these forms the last few months. I'm also looking at a number of receivers, well actually I've really only been looking at denon receivers since they are mentioned here so much, I'm looking at the AVR 1907 & the AVR 2807 from ecost so they are refurbished of-course. will a lower end receiver like the AVR 1907 do a good job of making the M60's QS8's, and VP 100 sound fantastic or do I need to spend a little more on the 2807. The amount of friendly knowledgeable people on this form is amazing
Posted By: bugbitten Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 02:40 PM
From what I have been reading in the last few days on this forum, the 2807 has it's merits. One being the "equalizer".
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 02:49 PM
Kevin,

Make sure the reciever you get has preouts for future separates. This should be an absolute must when shopping these days and the frequent upgraditus that the doctors have not found a cure for yet.
Posted By: kevin_obrien Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 03:24 PM
Ok I have not read that much about pre outs? what are they for, multiple amps? Thanks!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 03:46 PM
They are used for connecting amps to your reciver to power your speakers.

They come usefull because if in the future you want to upgrade to say M80s, they are 4ohm and may require a separate amp, in which case you can keep your same receiver and just buy a couple of amps and hook them up to your receiver through the preouts.

This would also apply to running parallel speakers like a centre channel, 2 VP150s run in Parallel would run at 3ohms and would require a separate amp.

Its just very usefull to prepare yourself for whatever comes in the future so you don't have to buy again. Finding a reciever with preouts these days is very easy, I am sure all the new Denon models that you are considering have them.
Posted By: x94blair3 Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 03:53 PM
I'm late to the party and don't have much to add, but since I just got my 60's and they're about 9-10 feet away from me, I thought I'd chime in.

They sound beautiful. I haven't watched a movie with them yet - this weekend. But the music is awesome. The soundstage is so much larger than it was before (which it should be given what I had).

Anyway, no worries with that distance.
Posted By: kevin_obrien Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 04:51 PM
I'm only using a Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker satalite system now and I'm 100% sure this will be a tremendous upgrade especially with all the expert advise and information that I've been gathering. I'm a computer tech so leaving room to upgrade is essential, thanks to everyone for the advise. Has anyone purchased a denon reciever from ecost? the prices are good and they come with a warrenty.
Posted By: davidsch Re: M60 seating distance - 01/11/07 06:49 PM
Hi Kevin. My set up is very similar to yours, I sit about 10 feet away from my M60s. I currently use a Denon AVR-1804 and while it sounds fine with these speakers, if I were buying again I would have spent a little more on a receiver. My Denon does not have the ability to add an additional amp. I would go the Denon 2807 route if I were in your shoes. Sorry, but I don't have any info about ecost.
Posted By: Merkaba Re: M60 seating distance - 01/15/07 04:42 PM
I recently had to move my system to a smaller room and, in order to have enough space behind my M60s, was somewhat forced to place them/me such that I sit at the apex of a 7ft equilateral triangle. I honestly prefer this setup to my previous one (sitting about 10ft out, in an isosceles triangle), but I think you're fine at 9.5ft. Experiment, if not with seating position then with distance to the rear of the M60s.

Yeah, a bit late.

Jon
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: M60 seating distance - 01/16/07 04:00 PM
If you do not need HDMI thru the reciever, the Yamaha Rx-v659 is pretty powerful (pre-outs and 2 zone) and can be had sub-$400 on ebay.
Posted By: ksfx Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 12:50 PM
What distance would be considered too far back for ideal listening? I'm at about 12-13 feet right now...just wondering if I should try to get closer.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 02:31 PM

That would depend on how far apart you mains are.
Posted By: dllewel Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 03:30 PM
Yes, as Rick said it depends on the distance between your Left/Right speakers. It is reccomended that you are listening at the same distance from each speaker, as they are from each other. This forms an equalateral triangle (same distance on all sides).
Posted By: ksfx Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 07:45 PM
Right now my M60s are ~ 8 ft apart from center to center and the primary listening position is ~ 13 feet from front edge of speaker.
Posted By: dllewel Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 09:39 PM
So if the speakers are 8 feet apart, then ideally you would sit about 8 feet from either speaker, or about just under 7 feet perpendicular from the front line.

So yes, try sitting a little closer and see if that is preferred.
Posted By: ksfx Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 10:29 PM
ahhhh...ok! This must be the 45 degree angle I've seen referenced, where you could use this right triangle calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html where side b would be half the distance between the front speakers. Basically, I would need to either move the speakers farther apart and/or move the seating position forward. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: duckman Re: M60 seating distance - 01/20/07 10:48 PM
I bought a denon dvd 2900 from ecost in mid '05 and have had no problems with it. It showed up in a timely manner. They stick you pretty hard on shipping, $20-$30 as I recall. I would be hard pressed to buy a denon or similar unit anywhere else given the savings. The lower end models don't save you all that much compared to the higher end models. I've been resisting the temptation to get something like a 2807 (one with the xm built in) for my garage system. Anybody try xm with one of these?
Posted By: Jim_Perkins Re: M60 seating distance - 01/21/07 12:30 AM
Quote:

Anybody try xm with one of these?

No I havent tried it but I read up on it. I was led to believe all you need is the antenna, but actually the new 'antenna' has the reciever built in to it. I dont remember the nomenclature, but that was the jest of it. I went to the xm website and signed up for a free preview through the computer, and it didnt entice me to sign up. I also remember that the antenna is suppossed to sit in a southern? window. I am thinking that it was going to cost me around $50 to get into it.

hth

Randy
Posted By: gbondioli Re: M60 seating distance - 01/21/07 06:20 PM
Re: ecost
I was going to buy my 2807 from them, but it was not in stock. I found a listing from Dakmart on eBay with a "Best Offer" feature. I offered $715, they countered with $737. So I got a refurb delivered for $770. It's been running for less than a week, but so far so good!

...Now I just have to wait a couple more weeks for my High Gloss Cherry Axioms !
© Axiom Message Boards