Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/11/07 09:23 PM
I realize this may be a shot in the dark, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. After much listening in various audio emporiums - comparing Thiel, Focal, Paradigm, Magnepan, Martin Logan, B&W, and a host of others, I had decided that the Thiel CS1.6 was the best speaker in my price range.

Since I'm posting in Axiom's forum, you've probably guessed that this isn't the end of my speaker hunt. While I absolutely love the sound from the 1.6's, I'm starting to balk on the high price tag. Ebay is of no help, as apparently no one who buys 1.6s ever sells them (I can't say I blame them, either). In fact, there are ads out there looking to buy used 1.6s. The one store locally that carries them sold their demo model, so my hope of discounted Thiels is about gone. I'm back to $2400 retail (more with the finish I want), plus tax. When you add in a center channel (assuming the new 1.4 is good match, it's still $1000 per speaker) and surrounds ($1200/ea. or more for the ceiling mount surrounds... or get two more 1.4's), I'm up to at least $5700 after tax. While I'm sure I'd be very happy with this setup for a long time to come, I have other financial irons in the fire that currently take precedence over my HT habit.

As my moniker suggests, I'm an audiophile (of the non snooty variety, I hope ) on a budget, which brings me here. After discovering direct sell audio places like Outlaw Audio and SVS subs, it wasn't too long before I found Axiom, which has thrown a monkey wrench into my HT plans (a good one, I hope).

This brings me to the reason for my post. Has anyone ever compared - directly or indirectly - the Axiom M60 to the Thiel 1.6? I'll be honest and say that I don't expect the M60 to be the sonic equal to the Thiel, but if I can get to the magic 90th% range, I think I can live with it, given the price difference.

One thing I look for in a speaker is midrange purity, lack of compression when the volume is turned up, fast attack in the mid-bass region, and airy high end that does not promote listening fatigue. Deep low bass is handled by my sub, so the lower octave-nad-a-half is not a necessity.

My current system consists of a Pioneer Elite <mumble>26<mumble>THX<mumble-something> reciever(why can't reciever manufacturers come up with reasonable model numbers?). I use the built-in amplification for center and surrounds. Rotel RMB-100's power the main speakers. The reciever will eventually be replaced with an Outlaw Audio 990 pre-pro (with existing external amplification by Rotel and NAD to drive the center and surrounds), but that will likley come after my speaker purchase. Bass will be handled by my new SVS PC-Ultra sub. I mention the components only because system synergy is always a consideration. Some speaker/amp combinations work well, others less so.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/11/07 09:29 PM
I think you should probably be comparing the M80s vs the Theils as opposed to the M60s, but I've never compared the two.
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/11/07 10:20 PM
You're probably right. I'd be happy with this comparison, as well. My initial thought after reading reviews of both the 80's and 60's is that the 80's having an edge in bass extention, volume, and power handling, but the two speakers otherwise sound very similar. Not having heard either, this could be dead wrong, but that's what I'm going on for now.
Posted By: SkiTaos Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/12/07 12:06 AM
I have heard two different models of Thiel. I can't remember which ones, but I found them to be totally gutless! It all depends on the sound you want of course. For me I want full impact and authority from my speakers.
I have yet to hear the M80s, but I believe they will do the trick!!
Posted By: DrunkenWolf Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/12/07 12:25 AM
I'm not an audiophile-but I do appreciate nice audio equipment. Having lived in multitenant dwellings for most of my life I experienced my music in my car-and I've invested stupid amounts of money trying to get a good car audio sound with little to no success. Getting low lows and high highs is easy-getting the midrange to match the lows and the highs not so much-especially when you crank up the volume (or turn it down too low). I have the M80's for home now that I own a house and I can say that when it comes to treble/mid/bass the M80s stay consistent regardless of volume. Of course, I only have low end speakers to compare with my Axioms. When I was shopping I listened to some Definitive Tech speakers and didn't like them (too much bass, not enough anything else), some Paradigm Monitor speakers which I absolutely loved, and similarly priced B&W speakers which I also liked, but slightly preferred the Paradigms. I went with Axioms because they were compared to the higher end Paradigms for about the same price as the lower end Paradigms.

Since you sound like a much more discerning person than I am you might want to check out the audition forum and see if you can get an in person preview of the Axioms. I think Axiom gives people a 5% commission if you buy after the audition so you'd be doing someone here a favor too.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/12/07 12:44 PM
I have read many good things about the Thiels but have not heard them. I agree with the previous poster that hearing the Axioms yourself will help you decide if they are for you. Where do you live? If you are in the Houston area, I would be glad to have you over to listen. If there is no one in your proximity offering auditions, keep in mind that Axiom will let you return any purchased items within 30 days for a full refund if not satisfied (you pay for return shipping, of course).
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/12/07 09:10 PM
I wish I could take you up on your offer, but I live in Ohio. Just a TAD too far. Maybe I can find someone closer.
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/12/07 10:40 PM
I guess everyone has their own tastes in sound. I've yet to hear a Theil speaker that I didn't like. They require a bit of extra care in setup and front-end electronics to shine, though. Also, older Thiel speakers can be brutal to drive. They are generally inefficient, and can dip lower than 4 ohms, which will give some amplifiers fits - particularly if you like it loud. Not too many receivers will handle the load of a complete Thiel HT setup (even the easier to drive, newer ones), and fewer still would sound decent driving them (and I don't know of one that will drive such a setup to reference levels). If you have even moderately weak upstream electronics, you'll know right off with the Thiels.

This is another reason why I'm looking at other speaker options. The Thiels require (demand, even) uber-high quality amplification and front end to shine. My best amps are Rotel RMB-100s (mono-blocks), not the high-end stuff they have in the HT store used to demo the speakers. New amplifiers are not in the budget. The Rotels may sound good with the Thiels, but it won't be AS good as what I heard in the store, thus I will be disappointed until I can afford $X-thousand dollars to upgrade all the upstream electronics. I see an ugly and expensive cylce being started. Not that the Axioms wouldn't benefit from higher quality front end electronics, but from what I'm reading in here, they don't demand it up front as the Thiels would.

So far, unless convinced otherwise, I'm leaning towards the M60s. In addition to saving a lot of money, Axiom also has a real surround speaker. The Thiel bookshelf speaker would work, but I doubt I'd get the enveloping sound that the Axiom surrounds would give me.

I guess the real question is whether I need the VP100 or VP150 center. I'm thinking the VP150 would be a better match for the M60s. Also, what are the main differences between the two surround offerings? I'm leaning towards the QS8s, but only because the drivers match those found in the center channel speakers (at least in size), and the extra bit of bass extension may allow for better blending with the rest of the system.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/13/07 03:28 AM
Quote:

guess the real question is whether I need the VP100 or VP150 center. I'm thinking the VP150 would be a better match for the M60s. Also, what are the main differences between the two surround offerings? I'm leaning towards the QS8s, but only because the drivers match those found in the center channel speakers (at least in size), and the extra bit of bass extension may allow for better blending with the rest of the system.

The 2 centers are a perfect match for the 60's but I believe the 150 plays a little louder for the larger rooms. The difference from the QS8 and 4 is pretty much the same idea, the 8's play louder and a little lower for SACD and DVD-A. But if the Xover gets set to 80 or 100 none of the speakers would have a different sound, that's well above any differences in the lowest any of them play to.

I have the VP 100 and QS8's, I listen to my system in the large setting I let the speakers roll off what they can't handle and it sounds great to me and I can take advantage of every little bit of sound they produce.
Posted By: PaulM Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/13/07 03:41 AM
There are several Axiom owners (see below) listed on the audition thread that live in Ohio and have M60's (and 1 with M80's). You could PM one or more of those that may live close by and see if they are still active and would give you a listen.

Ohio
Cincinnati - M60s, VP150 (badger98)
Cincinnati - M60s, VP150, 4QS8s (COACH2369)
Cleveland - EP500 (ajax)
Columbus - M60s, QS-8s, M2i's and a VP150 (richcarp)
Columbus - M22s, VP150, QS8s - (TweedleyD)
Columbus - M80s, VP150, QS8s, and EP500 (nicholc2)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/13/07 06:32 PM
I've heard and quite enjoyed the Thiel sound. If not for the price I too may have owned some. Their sound is not totally different from Axiom's in my opinion. I'd for certain find some Axioms to listen to before making your final purchase. If the two sounded completely differently I'd say so, but honestly I think they both have a detailed forward sound that I personally enjoy.

Good luck!
Posted By: ksfx Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/20/07 12:55 PM
Quote:

I think Axiom gives people a 5% commission if you buy after the audition so you'd be doing someone here a favor too.

Does anybody know if this is true for sure? If so, I want to make sure my demo-er knows about this.
Posted By: Wid Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/20/07 02:32 PM

I believe it is.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/20/07 03:26 PM
Yes. Just send an e-mail to Noreen after/during purchase. I believe they will wait until after the 30 day trial period is over, and then send the person that hosted the demo an Axiom gift certificate for 5% of the final sale.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/20/07 03:45 PM
It is true. I've received two such commissions after demos at my home resulted in successful sales.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/20/07 05:10 PM
I know there have been many discussions on Thiel in the past on this forum. You might want to try the "search" feature which might give you some of the answers your looking for...

good luck
Posted By: BruceH Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 01/31/07 04:47 PM
Quote:

I'll be honest and say that I don't expect the M60 to be the sonic equal to the Thiel, but if I can get to the magic 90th% range, I think I can live with it, given the price difference.

I know exactly what you are facing. Thiel was my first choice for a speaker but the price tag was not reasonable. There are a lot of speakers that follow the "law of diminishing returns". The speakers that I ended up with (granted, before I even knew about Axiom) are the Monitor Audio GR60s. Yes they sound "better" than the Axioms IMO but would I have been happy with the M80s instead? I would have to say yes. The only reason I have the GR60s is because of the deal I got. If I had to buy them new, I would not own a pair.

If, as you say, you can be happy with the 90th percentile then you will definitely be happy with the M80s.

When you get into the class of Thiel, Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Mirage, etc (their higher end models) they do perform "better". By "better" there is also the human factor where people get used to a type of sound that is not necessarily accurate, rather what they find appealing to their ears. I used to have a pair of Mirage M3si speakers that were amazing performers but sold them becasue they were too big. They handled bass better than the GR60s but that is why I have an accurate subwoofer.

If you can decide between performance or budget, and choose the latter, the M80s would be your choice. Best bang for the buck. If you decide performance and fear that you would be telling yourself "I should have spent the extra $$$" then you will likely choose the Thiels. I spent close to $4000 on my Mirage speakers and while I enjoyed the sound, I regretted the outlay of cash that should have gone into other equipment (or RRSPs!).
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 02/27/07 11:29 PM
Due to some upcoming expenses (one being a new baby), I've decided to go with the M22 V2's. I ordered a pair last night, and am waiting for them to arrive. Once they get to my house and I've had time to evaluate them, I'll post my "review" of them. Since I have a nice subwoofer that I'm not going to bypass (and I'm not going to listen at ear-bleeding levels) the M60s may be more than I actually need. Besides, I'm limited on space right now, and when I have a dedicated HT room, it'll likely end up smaller than the room my HT equipment resides at the moment.

If I like the M22's, the end goal is to get a third one for the center (or maybe an M2) and a pair of QS8's for the surrounds. Then I'll focus on upgrading the rest of my equipment after I move (yeah, that's the other big expense... we're planning to move into a much more expensive house in the near future).

As for now, I'll sit back and anxiously await the arrival of the M22s (in Boston Cherry).

Thanks to everyone for their help and opinions.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 02/27/07 11:36 PM
Budget,

you will NOT be dissapointed, congrats on the M22s. When they are paired with a capable sub they sound simply astounding.

I like your color choice too
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 02/28/07 04:02 PM
Budget, you will be impressed by the soundstage that the M22's present. They work very well with my EP500. Which sub are you using?
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Axiom M60v2 vs. Thiel CS1.6 - 02/28/07 08:45 PM
I'm using the SVC PC-Ultra sub.
© Axiom Message Boards