Axiom Home Page
Hi all,

I have new Epic 60 - VP150 - QS8 - EP500 driven by a Denon 786s. Most of my time is spent watching tv off of a Dish Network HD-DVR.

My problem is, the newer programming has Dolby audio whereas the older stuff just comes through as "stereo". You can't even believe how LOUD the audio is when I switch from a Dolby surround program to one that's in 2 channel. It's outrageous.

Is there any way to adjust the receiver to avoid this? I have to mute the sound whenever I change channels until I see whether the channel I'm switching to is in Dolby or not.

TIA, Eddie
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon receiver -- Stereo vs. Dolby sources - 01/12/07 05:11 PM
Welcome to home theatre receivers. Unfortunately, that's an almost universal issue. There are a few that let you set the volume by input, but I don't think the Denon is one of them.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Denon receiver -- Stereo vs. Dolby sources - 01/13/07 09:28 AM
Quote:

Is there any way to adjust the receiver to avoid this? I have to mute the sound whenever I change channels until I see whether the channel I'm switching to is in Dolby or not.

You could run a compressor to even out the program audio differences, but you'd also lose all the dynamics as well... no quiet passages with just light bed music anymore... everything's at the same volume level.

Bren R.
Posted By: larlane Dolby Volume - 01/15/07 03:33 PM
I heard from an HDTV podcast that Dolby has introduced "Dolby Volume" this year at the CES. It allows you to set your reference level and all outputs are supposed to be the same. It will son be available on TV's and then later in receivers
© Axiom Message Boards