Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ereed Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 02:53 AM
I currently have fronts and center now, I do not have money to get sub and surrounds same time, which would you get first? Which would you rather live without for time being? Look at sig for my system specs.
Posted By: Wid Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:03 AM

My vote goes to the sub.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:08 AM
Is this for music listening or home theater?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:11 AM
Eric, if your mains were bookshelves I might lean toward a sub first, but your M60s have pretty good bass on their own(although a sub such as the EP500 would be significantly better). That being the case, I'd suggest going with the QS surrounds, which could play the discrete surround material in 5.1 source material and just as importantly, use DPLII or the other surround processing modes in your 1068 to expand 2-channel sources. Using them to extract the surround ambience naturally confined(in varying degrees)in the front channels and steering it to the surrounds where it belongs is a significant step toward a little more realistic reproduction.
Posted By: Wid Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:13 AM
Looking at his equipment list and taking into account he was asking about surrounds I assume it is for H/T. Either way music or H/T I think a sub is the way to go.
Posted By: ereed Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:26 AM
Well, mostly for home theater. I just did not know which one was more important than the other? So its either missing gun shots going over my head vs feeling explosions during a movie.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 03:45 AM
Tough one, but why sacrifice? I am a bass nut so I bought a sub, and used an old set of 6x9's I had lying around for surrounds. Kept me quite happy until I was able to afford the QS8's. (About 2 years - Some surround was better than no surround)
Posted By: BrenR Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 06:15 AM
Quote:

Well, mostly for home theater. I just did not know which one was more important than the other? So its either missing gun shots going over my head vs feeling explosions during a movie.

You'll still feel the explosions with just the M60s... with the sub it'll bounce your package around.

My vote is for surrounds... set the stage first, then get into the whiz-bang stuff later.

Bren R.
Posted By: duckman Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 06:27 AM
Get the q's. If nothing else they look cool.
Seriously, the q's are everything they're said to be.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 06:38 AM
My vote is also for the surrounds, the big booms are fun but Imo they don't have as much impact as hearing rain falling around you or any effects coming from different areas of the room.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 08:27 AM
I can remember when I added my sub to my prologic system all those years ago, it really enhanced the feel of the movies and the prologic was not that great for surround effects.

Now that I have a 6.1 system, I find it hard to think about not having the surrounds, they immerse you into the movie that much more and your M60's should be able to do an admirable job with LFE till you can afford the Sub.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 01:43 PM
I agree with Shawn....
Go for the sub and pick up some of those 50% off, $30 Polks that Circuit City has periodically. They won't amaze you the way the QS series will, but they'll still offer something so the sound isn't all "in front of you".
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 02:53 PM
Sub first!

I even used BOSE (God forgive me) for surrounds for a while.
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 05:32 PM
I agree with previous recommendations to get the sub first - especially if you're mostly using your setup for movies. You can always pick up a pair of cheap speakers to use for surrounds until you can afford a good pair. While this isn't ideal, it will work. If you were mostly going to listen to multi-channel music, then I'd go with a good pair of surrounds first. Most music won't dip down past what the M60s can produce.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 06:27 PM
I agree with half of the earlier posts (never easy to decide is it? ).

I vote for QS8s now, sub later. Another reason being that the QS8 design is quite stable and shouldn't change much, as compared to the advancements and price drops in quality subs happening all the time. You'll probably get more sub for less $ later on when you are ready.
Posted By: Cintel7 Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 06:41 PM
Get the surrounds first so that you can enjoy HT, SACD, DVD-A, DTS music. There are more sounds effects with surrounds than bass, not unless you watch a lot of action movies. Even if you watch action movies, bass note doesn't play all the time.

bottom line, you get more bang for buck with surrounds, but you will NEED a sub at some point. When that comes, you will FEEL the movie instead of HEARING it.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 07:09 PM
I would say since you have the M60s, go for the QS8s. I just got my system hooked up last sunday and i LOVE the QS8's. They are simply amazing, I didn't listen to any SACD, but I sourced my 2 channel CDs through the surrounds and man, it sounded just simply amazing.

For movies as well, they just dissapear into the room, like you don't even know where they are, you just hear sounds coming from the left and the right, its great.

I have mine sitting on some "Premo" soup cans to expose the bottom woofer (I think Bridgeman patented the idea). My friends argued that they thought Campbells cans would work better, I may have to do some critical listening to get to the bottom of this.
Posted By: alan Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 01/31/07 08:37 PM
Hi ereed,

I'd second Hutzal's suggestion. The QS8s are positively uncanny at times at recreating ambience effects in movie soundtracks, even very subtle ones like phones ringing, bird sounds, crickets, and wind and weather effects.

You'll have decent bass with the M60s until you add the sub later on. (I think Bridgman used Habitant soup cans to support his QS8s,in recognition of Canada's dual heritage).
Posted By: dllewel Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 02/01/07 02:33 AM
Quote:

...The QS8s are positively uncanny at times...

LOL
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 02/01/07 09:12 PM
Did someone say can?

Posted By: Jordan Re: Surrounds or Subs first? - 02/01/07 09:22 PM
Unless, of course, you have a tin ear.
© Axiom Message Boards