Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal Pictures of my new system - 02/04/07 06:40 AM
Hey all,

I know you guys all like to look at pictures of exposed speakers without their covers (you perverts!), alas, here they are!

I must make note that I watched The Return of Superman, and the Incredibles this weekend, WOW.

There is SO MUCH LFE in Superman that its freaking crazy...such looooowwww effects, i love my EP500 so much right now, just watched the incredibles, my wifes friend was over and she was like "it feels like an earthquake"...muahahahahahah

I'll be taking more pictures when my basement is done and it is all moved downstairs (by next weekend).

Its nice to be apart of the family...wow, these speakers are just simply amazing, I'll say it over and over!

Later guys!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/04/07 07:19 AM
Yeah Robb, those speakers are(gasp,pant)beautiful, and I'm sure that John Bridgman will be delighted with your QS mounting system. You might experiment with the M3 separation to see if there's a significant difference.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/04/07 07:21 AM
So much for the fireplace being the focal point in the room eh!

I like the stands you made for the surrounds. They are very original Nice system
Posted By: JasonB Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/04/07 07:29 AM
Hey Hutzal,
I 'just' finished The Return of Superman about 20 minutes ago as well. Great movie for shaking the foundation a little . Another bassy one you might want to check out is "Titan A.E." I was surprized how much LFE was in it.

Nice setup man. Enjoy it
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/04/07 02:24 PM
Nice pics man.

Yes, Titan AE is a suprising movie with great sound affects. If you like Sci Fi with cartoon animation, this one will suprise you.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/05/07 02:52 PM
>>Yeah Robb, those speakers are(gasp,pant)beautiful, and I'm sure that John Bridgman will be delighted with your QS mounting system. You might experiment with the M3 separation to see if there's a significant difference.>>

Thanks John, bridgeman should be proud that he has started a Canadian custom! Regarding the M3's, This system will be moved downstairs at the end of this week, so I am waiting for the move to actually calibrate the system.

>>So much for the fireplace being the focal point in the room eh!>>

Shhhhh, don't tell my wife (again!) This was a temporary fix!

>>I 'just' finished The Return of Superman about 20 minutes ago as well. Great movie for shaking the foundation a little . Another bassy one you might want to check out is "Titan A.E." I was surprized how much LFE was in it.>>

I have seen that movie before (I am a fan of animated movies and CG movies), I'll give it another gander now that the EP500 is here!

>>Yes, Titan AE is a suprising movie with great sound affects. If you like Sci Fi with cartoon animation, this one will suprise you.>>

I love sci fi, how is the "Atlantis" animated film for bass? Anyone know?

Thanks for the kind comments guys...one thing about finishing your basement is only after a week, there is a coat of dust on the speakers!
Posted By: RickF Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/05/07 07:26 PM
Nice setup Hutz! Thanks for sharing the pictures, how are those M3s(?) doing for you on the center channel?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/05/07 07:41 PM
Bob,

The M3s are just awsome. I can notice no tonal difference on 5.1 material from the M22s as they just transmit vocals, and boy are the vocals VERY "full" and pure sounding. I would recommend the combo to anyone seeking a full and thick centre channel.

I have played some 2 channel music sourced to 5.1 from the receiver, and again noticed no sonic difference. I am not a "golden ear" listener by any means, but I love the M3s, a single M3 compared to the parallel M3 is very different.

The parallel M3s have an awsome sound stage, much bigger than the single M3. I love them very much and don't regret the M3 combo over an M2 combo or a VP150 (even tho I have not heard the VP150).

I will be doing some comparison listening tests with the M3s vs the M22s in the coming weeks. I'll posting my findings on here when I finally get around to it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 12:38 AM
We may have to try a listening session running my VP 100 compared to the M3's just see if there is a noticeable difference.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 03:00 PM
Jason,

I would love to get together to do a comparison, at the same time we could compare the M3s and M22s.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 07:12 PM
I think JohnK is extremely happy you got 2 M3's for the center channel.

He might even be jumping up and down.
Posted By: alan Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 07:51 PM
Hi Hutzal,

I totally approve of the Primo soup can arrangement. It's amazing how well the QS's work set up like that, eh?

Thanks for the feedback on using dual M3s as centers. In my experiments with various center channel speakers a few years ago, I tried dual M2s, a single M22 on its side, the VP100 and 150 and other brands I've accumulated over the years, but I never got around to trying two M3s.

You'll likely notice the slight tonal differences in the M3s and M22s only if you run them in stereo or mono . In 5.1, the masking effects of all six speakers running together tend to obscure subtle tonal differences in the midrange and upper mids.

Oh, another DVD that will give the EP500 a workout is the remake of "War of the Worlds", especially when those pod things clump around. . .you'll see what I mean.

Have fun.

Regards,
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 07:52 PM
Quote:

Jason,

I would love to get together to do a comparison, at the same time we could compare the M3s and M22s.

Sounds good, just let me know when!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 08:05 PM
Quote:

I think JohnK is extremely happy you got 2 M3's for the center channel.

He might even be jumping up and down.

Well, I think if I got dual M2s to match the M22s, he might be jumping up and down...

For dual M3s, I think he may just get giddy...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 08:09 PM
I think your solution of M3's might be the same as my running my set up in large, given the M3's low end hump in the graph. It would give any lower tones a little extra emphasis.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 08:14 PM
>>I totally approve of the Primo soup can arrangement. It's amazing how well the QS's work set up like that, eh?>>

I would like to thank Bridgeman, without him, the mountings would not be possible...;)

>>Thanks for the feedback on using dual M3s as centers. In my experiments with various center channel speakers a few years ago, I tried dual M2s, a single M22 on its side, the VP100 and 150 and other brands I've accumulated over the years, but I never got around to trying two M3s.>>

Which did you overal prefer? The VP150 or the dual M2s?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 08:19 PM
Quote:

I think your solution of M3's might be the same as my running my set up in large, given the M3's low end hump in the graph. It would give any lower tones a little extra emphasis.

This could possible be very true. We shall find out when we do comparisions...
Posted By: michael_d Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 09:17 PM
You should play around with the distance between them. It does make a big difference (and I’m not a "golden ear" guy either).

Your room will differ, but in my room, setting them about 24” apart gives me the best sound stage, I believe. I tried them up to six feet apart down to touching. When they were touching, I might as well have only had one. Six feet and they would be too close to the mains.

Also, try setting them to Large and see how you like that. I know, not supposed to do that because they are lil’ fellers, but try it anyway. I had my 22’s set to large and preferred it that way. Audyssey likes them as Large too.

Love your brackets. I believe you took John’s design one step further toward improved precision.

Another great LFE scene is in the movie XXX. I just watched this on Blue Ray the other night. The scene where Xander is snowboarding down the slope in front of the avalanche……One of the stupidest scenes I’ve ever watched (after being in an avalanche that I did not outrun), but the LFE is even better than the Tri-pod scene.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/06/07 09:58 PM
>>Your room will differ, but in my room, setting them about 24” apart gives me the best sound stage, I believe. I tried them up to six feet apart down to touching. When they were touching, I might as well have only had one. Six feet and they would be too close to the mains.>>

My studs downstairs are 24" on centre, I was planning on mounting them with Jakewash's FMBs on those studs above the CRT until I get a projector...did you have them 24" apart to the centre or to the insides?
Posted By: michael_d Re: Pictures of my new system - 02/07/07 02:42 AM
Mount yourself a peice of 3/4" hardwood on the wall wider than you will need spanning the studs with some 2" screws. then you can screw the brackets to the wood anywere you want. Just try moving them back and forth til you get them where they sound best to you. problem of stud spacing solved......
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 03/14/07 05:23 PM
Well I have borrowed a projector for the time being...I don't really feel like getting some 3/4" hardwood floor and screwing them between 2 studs...

Do you think the drywall/wing anchors will hold up a 12 lb M3? They are rated for 30lb capacity. The M3 doesn't even come close.

I used them for my QS8's and where they ever sturdy!
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: Pictures of my new system - 03/14/07 05:40 PM
Hutzal, what is the finish on those beauties? Is that the standard cherry?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Pictures of my new system - 03/14/07 06:11 PM
Yup, just the plain ol' boston cherry from the Factory Outlet. Can't find the problems with them yet...although I haven't put alot of effort into finding the minor cosmetic defect.
Posted By: agentfox1942 Re: Pictures of my new system - 03/15/07 01:10 PM
great looking speakers. Friends I have whine about Axiom's not being real wood, just vinyl. Well, veneer is veneer with MDF behind it (or other type) and these look great.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of my new system - 03/15/07 05:45 PM
Quote:

great looking speakers. Friends I have whine about Axiom's not being real wood, just vinyl. Well, veneer is veneer with MDF behind it (or other type) and these look great.

They must spend more time looking at their speakers rather than listening to them.
© Axiom Message Boards