Axiom Home Page
I'm thinking of getting the M80/500 or M60/500. I realize that Pioneer VSX-84TXSi will never be able to drive the M80's and that Denon 4306's can. Being that my room is 25X20X8, 60's should be plenty good. I can't really crank it up that loud since I live in a condo with an upstairs neighbor. But I'm torn between the 4306 and the 84TXSi. $$ difference is not even a decision factor between the two. 84 can do THX Select2 so that's nice. Looks like 4306 eschews all THX. So what to do, what to do. Remote is not a factor as I'll just get a Harmony. Oh, for the time being, I'll only have access to 1080i via Component. I'm waiting for the next generation DLP's before getting a newer TV (current model is a 6yr old XBR2) I'm really torn as you can see. But I'm ready, I got the Avia DVD, HomeTheater tune up DVD and RadioShack's SPL all ready to go! Finally, the PCM/LFE issue with Pioneer is not a big concern as yet since I won't be getting HD/DVD or BluRay until someone is declared a winner. Thanks for all you input!
Oh forgot. 4306 is HDMI 1.1 and Pioneer is 1.2 Odd that Denon doesn't support 1.2 (1.2a)
Han, welcome. Don't know how you came to "realize" that about the 84, since it and lesser receivers are being used successfully with the M80s. As far as power, the two receivers that you're considering are quite similar. You might want to consider the respective auto calibration and room equalization features: the Audyssey on the Denon and Pioneer's MCAAC.
Hasang welcome, I think both receivers would serve you well, I always lean towards the Denon's. My belief is Denon passed on HDMI 1.2 because they have the Denon link, that will allow you to connect a Denon SACD player that also utilizes the Link with one cable.
Quote:

Han, welcome. Don't know how you came to "realize" that about the 84, since it and lesser receivers are being used successfully with the M80s. As far as power, the two receivers that you're considering are quite similar. You might want to consider the respective auto calibration and room equalization features: the Audyssey on the Denon and Pioneer's MCAAC.

Thank you. I talked to Axiom guys and they concurred that 84's would never be able to drive the 80's to it's fullest (it may or may not shut down the 84's). I did a LOT of research - one of the reasons why I'm going to buy Axioms - and it seems that MCACC beats Audyssey hands down. I have the SPL so I should be OK with either.

thanks
Quote:

Hasang welcome, I think both receivers would serve you well, I always lean towards the Denon's. My belief is Denon passed on HDMI 1.2 because they have the Denon link, that will allow you to connect a Denon SACD player that also utilizes the Link with one cable.

It seems that there is not one AVR that doesn't have some issue. Whether it's with HDCP handshaking, LFE issues, PCM issues etc. It's enough to make me roll-out my Kenwoods from storage! I don't really need any of the 1.2 or 1.2a specs, but I figured it's a later rev and more of the bugs have been ironed out. We'll see.

Thanks
My 84 seems to have no problem with the 80s.
I agree that the 84 should work just fine with the 80's I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
I wouldn’t let THX inclusion be the determining factor of which one you choose. I’m sure you’d be happy with either. The 4306 may prove to be more reliable over time than the Pioneer.

And even though the Pio has 1.2a, which supports SACD DSD streams, there are no SACD players that output true DSD over HDMI that I am aware of. So there is no real reason to long for 1.2a over 1.1. HDMI 1.1 supports SACD PCM streams, which is what all the 'current' SACD / HDMI players output over HDMI. You have to use the six channel analogue outputs to get true DSD output.
I purchased the 4306 a few months ago, and I am really happy with it. The sound is wonderful. It was my first purchase in upgrading my entire HT system. I am using older set of JBL 4410s for my fronts and 4408s for my rears (both sets are 8 ohm), but I am planning to purchase the 80s' in the future. I am waiting for my QS8s for the sides from the outlet store and presently using the EP500.

My opinion of the Audyssey is still uncertain. The auto setup is fine, but I find myself turning it off and tweeking it. With that said, I think over all the sound is excellent. You will appreciate your Harmony with this receiver.
Dang, when I saw your post subject I got all excited, thinking you were gonna talk about this:

Quote:

Dang, when I saw your post subject I got all excited, thinking you were gonna talk about this:
snip: Pic of M6 from BMW

I *wish*. I have an X5 right now and would love to get an M5. Maybe in a few years! Thank you all for you feedback. Nothing like getting input from people who have what I'm trying to do. After a bit more research, I'll choose the Denon 4306 or the Pio84's. Looks like M80/500 it is. Hell, it' only $300 dollars! That's prolly the difference in the price increase on the 28th! Sure, rationalize it away!
Thanks everyone. Just placed my order for the M80/500 and the Pioneer 84! Looking forward to taking it for a test drive!javascript:void(0)

Wow! Congrats on the order.
Congratulations on your order. Did you purchase your Pioneer 84 online? Please let us know your impressions once you get them all.
Quote:

Congratulations on your order. Did you purchase your Pioneer 84 online? Please let us know your impressions once you get them all.

Thank you everyone. No, I got it from a local authorized reseller. With the firmware issues that still needs to ironed out somewhat, I figured I'd give the local guys a shot at my business. I'll report back on what I hear next Wed (on the road so I can't receive the speakers, I'm dying to hook them up)

Hansang
I own the Pio 81 Elite and can tell you that the auto MCACC setup may leave you wanting! I see that you have the AVIA disk and an SPL. My advice, ditch the AUTO MCACC and use the Manual setup instead. Set everything to 85db - theater standard and tweak from there!

I work at a theater so I was able to get a professional SPL with an add-on frequency selector. I'm not familiar with the Radio Shack SPL and it may not have the add-on feature, but even without it the results were better than the auto settings. With the add-on I was able to adjusted each frequency in the manual MCACC, evenly, for each speaker and the sub. The results were amazing. The Auto MCACC does a decent job but doesn't compare to manually setting it up! IMHO
Thanks for the tip. I plan on using my SPL and my Avia DVD as well. I figure MCACC will get me close enough and I can tweak from there!
© Axiom Message Boards