Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Krich Sub positioning - 03/14/07 12:18 AM
Quick question about sub positioning. If I was to put the sub behind my sectional, completely surrounding it by walls and by the back of the sectional, would that stifle the sound? Wife wants it back there, I'm not so sure about it. Here's a diagram of the sectional against the wall. She wants it in the corner space created by the curve of the sectional.

Thanks.
Posted By: edvacdude Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 12:25 AM
Check out http://www.hsuresearch.com/faq.html#1 ... search for 'what is the best place'.

Going by this article, the location behind the sectional does not seem bad?

Ananth
Posted By: bridgman Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 12:31 AM
You can't really stifle a sub without using a mattress or two. Rattling is the big problem, not muffling. With your layout, I think placing the sub behind the sectional might be the ideal location.

Only concern is that your room shape looks a bit square-ish. Do you happen to have the dimensions handy (L W H) ? Sometimes you get big peaks and dips in the frequency response of a square room and positioning the sub away from the corners can help. Sometimes.
Posted By: KC23 Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 12:34 AM
From what I've read that is exactly where it should be.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 01:17 AM
Actually, there are many articles discussing placing the sub up near the front sound stage for best performance. I know many people that tried the behind the couch thing, but ultimately ended up placing it up near the front near field the mains.
Posted By: HAY Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 01:27 AM
Mine is pretty much exactly there and it is great. HSU suggests near field placement and with the new side firing Turbo sub it states to put behind the couch and the woofer firing at the couch, check their page out.

Here's also a link to ask the good DR question/layout this what I used before ordering mine.
Posted By: PDXGuy Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 03:26 AM
Quote:

Actually, there are many articles discussing placing the sub up near the front sound stage for best performance. I know many people that tried the behind the couch thing, but ultimately ended up placing it up near the front near field the mains.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I purchased a good length of cable to be able to place my sub in different test locations and found that up front ended up sounding the best. The manufacturer recommended not placing the sub at a corner near an open adjoinging room; they were quite right. In my case, moving the sub next to the right main enhanced its sound performance substantially. In the end though, it all comes down to what sounds best...after tweaking the sub of course for the different room test locations. I spent the entire weekend having this type of fun - lol!
Posted By: Krich Re: Sub positioning - 03/14/07 03:36 AM
Wow, didn't expect for my wife to be more right than me on this one. I'm happy though. It's a bonus for me, since it boosts WAF and we all know why that's a good thing.

I've read quite a bit on sub positioning and how the dimensions of the room affect bass quality. Now, that certainly doesn't mean I understand any of it yet.

Bridgman, my room dimensions are 15'w x 12'l x 8'h. Probably not the best, but I've run a few of the online calculators to see where the frequencies stack up and it doesn't seem to be too bad. Here's a fairly recent floorplan I drew up to use for another post on these forums (back when I was looking at the M50's ):

Bigger Floorplan

While I was fine tuning the positioning of the sectional, I did notice a rather obvious dead spot very close to the optimal listening position, so I'm definitely going have to move the sub. I'll move it over behind the couch first to see how it works.

As always, thanks for keeping me going in the right direction!
© Axiom Message Boards