Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile M22 Review - 04/10/07 03:25 AM
Well, I've come full circle now. Here's the review, as promised. I couldn't find my old comments to reply to, so I'm forced to add a new topic. Sorry about that.

First off, let me state that the M22s are good speakers. In fact, for the frequency range they can reproduce, they are VERY good speakers. Clean, clear, smooth, and have tons of midrange detail. The highs are also quite detailed, and avoid harshness - even at high volumes. Axiom has avoided the "inexpensive speaker" flaws that impact the upper frequencies on most every pair of bookshelf speakers I've heard. It's obvious that Axiom uses high quality drivers, and has spent a good deal of time tuning them to neutrality.

In my initial "first impressions" post in this forum, I noted various differences in direct comparison to my previous speakers (NHT 1.3). My initial impression, while noting audible differences, was that the differences were not so big to sell me on these speakers. If I'm going to spend money, I want a big improvement. After spending some more time with the M22s, I decided to do another direct comparison, only this time I bypassed the receiver entirely.

My NAD 5000 CD player (yes, it’s dated, like almost everything else in my setup) has a variable analog output. I had planned on listening to the M22s without the subwoofer, so rather than going through the setup on the receiver to set the mains to ‘full’, I decided to bypass both receiver and subwoofer. I ran cables directly from the variable output to the Rotel mono-block amps, controlling the volume with the CD’s remote control. The difference was immediately heard. I’m not talking a small difference, but a slap you in the face difference. The improved clarity, soundstage, and transparency from bypassing the receiver was like removing a blanket from the speakers (okay, slight exaggeration). There is no question that the receiver is now next on my hit list.

With my new direct setup, I compared the NHTs and the M22s. All my previous notes on the differences apply, only they are now more pronounced. After switching from the M22s to the NHTs, the most immediate difference heard was a “hole” in the midrange. In fact, the NHT speakers sounded a bit muffled compared to the M22s. The detail produced from the M22s far surpassed that of the NHTs, and did so without becoming harsh or unbalanced. My previous comment that the M22s would benefit from higher quality front end electronics was absolute correct. The more pure the signal, the better they sound. I noticed that the NHTs did not benefit nearly as much in the transition to my direct setup.

Speaker placement is crucial with the M22s. The soundstage was disjointed until I found the precise height, toe-in, and speaker distance. Height seems particularly important to soundstage characteristics. At one point, after playing with speaker position, I leaned forwards and raised up in my chair (about 3-4” in height), and whala! The vocals solidified between the speakers, rather than bouncing back and forth between speakers. There is definitely a sweet spot with these speakers. Be VERY careful on stand height with these. A couple of inches off and you lose a good portion of your imaging, and the soundstage gets a bit disjointed. In the sweet spot, they sound very good, putting forth a fullness I hadn’t heard until I got everything right this time around.

I like the way these speakers don’t bloat the bass. They play down to 65-70Hz, and that’s it. The do this very well, then roll off sensibly. This makes mating to a sub a lot easier. Most bookshelf speakers have a bit of a mid-bass bloat to try and compensate for the lack of bass output. The Axiom designers get extra points for not going this route.

The M22 speakers sound better than any $500 speakers I’ve listened to. The level of detail and midrange clarity is exceptional for this price range, but I still feel that _something_ is missing in the presentation. Having spent time with the Thiel “sound”, I fear that upgradeitis will hit again. As good as the M22s are – particularly at their price point – they come up lacking in comparison with the (far more expensive) Thiel speakers in a few areas that are important to me. I’ll be the first to admit that this is an exceedingly unfair comparison, but this is my ultimate goal (I was looking for that 90% mark with the Axioms, but didnt' quite get there.

Compared to the host of speakers I’ve listened to at the hi-end shop (and elsewhere), I’d put the Axioms pretty high up on the list. They beat the B&Ws I’ve heard where it counts (600-series stuff), and within the same frequency range the M22s are capable of reproducing, they match the best Paradigm speakers I’ve listened, lacking only a bit in the overall soundstage and dynamics when compared to the very best Paradigm models. They sound not too dissimilar to the Focal speakers I listened to a while back. This is high praise for the M22s. I can certainly recommend them with confidence to anyone looking for bookshelf speakers.

The short of it is that these are impressive speakers for the price. They do represent a significant upgrade from where I am now, but for music, I'm still holding out for the Thiels across the front. Perhaps I’ll buy QS8 surrounds. After hearing the M22s, I think it would be a decent enough match for surrounds – even multi-channel music, and would be a lot less expensive, and more envoloping, than using SCS3s or SCS4s for surrounds.

To sum up my experience with the Axioms, I can only say that I’ll miss them every time I fire up my system to listen to music. The NHTs were decent, but I now find them lacking. When considering the $460 price ($470 now), I have no real criticisms for the M22s. In their price range, I haven't heard a speaker that can match them. Only when comparing them with speakers many times their price do I notice anything lacking.

Very well done, Axiom. Thanks for the trial.

Axiom support people get high marks, as well. This is a quality company that sells a quality product.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 07:52 AM
Nice re-review. You have stated what we try hard to say when others ask how the M22's compare to upper end speakers. They compare favorably and are, IMHO, the best buy for those of us on a real budget. No one here has ever said the M22's are the best sounding speaker out there, Thiels are better sounding to me as well, but I can not justify the price difference for that extra little bit of smoothness and soundstage.

Again well done. I hope you plan on sticking around now that you are done with the 22's.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 12:16 PM
You need to put this on AVSForum. A certain member there would probably need a new change of underwear after reading your post.

Nice review!

When you say your receiver was the weak link...was it just being sent the phono L/R signals from the CD drive? It made all that difference even though it had preouts to the Rotel amps?
Posted By: Ajax Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 01:33 PM
LOL! Yes, the thread would be civil for about an hour until John (screen name "Alimentall," an NHT dealer who always enjoys running down Axioms) put in his two cents.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 04:16 PM
Quote:

LOL! Yes, the thread would be civil for about an hour until John (screen name "Alimentall," an NHT dealer who always enjoys running down Axioms) put in his two cents.

I'd still like to see him poop his pants
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 06:59 PM
Originally, the phono L/R outputs of the CD player fed to the receiver and the receiver processed/switched the signal and sent it to the pre-amp outputs to the Rotel mono-block amps. I bypassed the receiver entirely, hooking the CD player directly to the amps.

To be honest, I was quite surprised at the difference. I was expecting it to be minor, if even audible. I hooked it up this way more out of laziness than anything else. My TV has limited inputs, so I'd have to yank out one video cable, plug in the one from the receiver, then go through the setup process to turn off the sub and set the mains to 'large', then do it all again later when done. This was just too much hassle. It was far easier to move a couple of RCA cables.

While the receiver was doing some processing, all it was really doing was being an 80Hz active crossover for the signal. 80Hz up went to the speakers, below 80Hz went to the subwoofer. This should not cause much signal degredation. In reality, though, bypassing the receiver was like lifting a veil from the speakers.

I've never been a big fan of receivers, but I'd expect a Pioneer "Elite" model to be reasonably clean in signal processing.

Before buying my next pair of speakers, the receiver will be replaced. The Thiels will be especially handicapped in my existing setup. I will compare the pre-pro I purchase with the "CD direct" setup, to make sure it's cleaner than my receiver.

I highly recommend this test to anyone who has the capability of bypassing the receiver/pro-pro as I did. It can be most enlightening. It also has proven to me that high end components may have a bigger edge in performance than I first thought.
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 07:28 PM
Thanks. I plan on hanging out for a while. After all, I have QS8s on my list of HT items to buy.

If you're on a limited budget, you can't go wrong with Axioms. You'll get a great bang for the buck, no doubt about it. As for the differences between the M22s and the Thiels (1.6), I find that the difference in price is worthwhile to me. The Thiels just do everything "right". Their coherence, soundstage width and depth (as well as layering), seamless driver integration (at proper listening distance), and silky smooth presentation are addicting. Even the huge jump in price to the 2.4s is worth the money, IMO, though you want to make sure your source electronics are up to speed, as well (one of the reasons I was looking to go on the cheap... I knew it would end up costing more than just the price of the speakers if I went with the Thiels).

Admittedly, I'm not on a super-restricted budget, though I also don't like to pay more than I have to for a component or speaker. Bang for the buck plays a pretty solid role in my buying decisions. The Thiels, believe it or not, are actually quite high on the "bang for the buck" scale, in the high-end speaker realm.

Of course, what you end up buying depends on your budget and end goal. My budget, though not unlimited, will allow for the Thiels, though I'll have to wait a bit before I can pull the trigger (I'm actually hoping to find a used pair for a good price). I plan on building a completely new home theater setup, as well as a dedicated home theater room in my next house. The plan is to purchase the new electronics and speakers with the idea that I'll have to live with them for about 10 years. The wife is okay with buying new stuff, but she's pretty adamant about not replacing stuff in a year or two. She actually pushed me towards the Theils for fear that I'd get 'upgradeitis' if I bought anything else. She told me to get what I really want (it's nice to have an understanding wife ).

With this in mind, I'll likely open the wallet a bit wider than I was first planning. Not only do I want to do this right, I want to end up with something that I've always wanted but have yet to achieve: a true high end home theater (i.e., no serious compromises). All my existing equipment was a compromise at the time of purchase, as I used to have a far more limited budget than I do today.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 09:36 PM
Quote:

If you're on a limited budget, you can't go wrong with Axioms. You'll get a great bang for the buck, no doubt about it. As for the differences between the M22s and the Thiels (1.6), I find that the difference in price is worthwhile to me. The Thiels just do everything "right". Their coherence, soundstage width and depth (as well as layering), seamless driver integration (at proper listening distance), and silky smooth presentation are addicting. Even the huge jump in price to the 2.4s is worth the money, IMO, though you want to make sure your source electronics are up to speed, as well (one of the reasons I was looking to go on the cheap... I knew it would end up costing more than just the price of the speakers if I went with the Thiels).

I wish I had your budget just for audio equipmient! I have been spending my money on things like this, mine is a white LE. My 1991 Nissan Stanza with 286000km's was near the end of its life and the cancer was getting pretty bad on it.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M22 Review - 04/10/07 10:41 PM
Jason,

nice wheels man!
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 Review - 04/11/07 12:45 AM
Thanks! The trunk is exceptionally large, your EP500 should still fit in it.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M22 Review - 04/11/07 03:29 PM
you mean your EP500 when you order one?
Posted By: BudgetAudiophile Re: M22 Review - 04/13/07 02:01 AM
I feel your pain. I made the mistake of leasing my last car (a popular financial guy calls is a "fleece", rather than a lease), though it worked for me at the time. Now, the lease is up and I need to purchase a new car. This will delay my speaker purchase, no doubt, but to be honest, I should wait until I've found my new house, anyway. Room size will determine what speaker I end up with, as I plan on getting towers for my mains (bookshelf speakers would work anywhere, as long as you don't need the Nth degree of volume).

Nice choice of autos on your part. Enjoy! It's nicer that my next car will be. I'll likely pay cash for an older used car (I hate car payments, and I'm trying to massage my credit prior to my next home purchase in order to obtain the best mortgage rate). And of course, no car payment means my home theater will get updated that much faster...
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 Review - 04/13/07 05:37 AM
Quote:

Nice choice of autos on your part.

Thanks! The car is all MINE! I despise leasing for personal use and my wife is cutting back to part time work, so now was the only time we could see for us to get a new car. Well, new to us, it was a lease back. Saved a few grand this way.
© Axiom Message Boards