Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Children of Men - 04/13/07 04:02 AM
I wasn't expecting a lot from this movie, but after I saw enough people mentioning it online, I figured I'd give it a chance (as in buy it on HD DVD, since I'm extreme). I found it to be a thoughtfully made movie with a lot of nice touches, very genuine.

But yeah, the sound was great. This movie, along with Babel, really gave my ears a lot to appreciate. I wouldn't put either movie in my list of favorites (maybe BECAUSE of how real they feel), but they were very well-made, and the audio is definitely showcase-worthy.

Also, I'm not using a subwoofer right now, and I'm impressed at the depth the M80s are reaching. I still can't wait to get my EP600, though.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Children of Men - 04/13/07 05:02 AM
I thought that was a pretty good movie with good special effects. Better than I expected it to be.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Children of Men - 04/13/07 07:11 AM
I liked Children of Men a lot.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: Children of Men - 04/13/07 12:28 PM
I liked it a lot too but in the end I found it somewhat...lacking...I don't know maybe I was expecting too much from all the reviews I heard. The whole last 45 min I could have done without. Hmm shouldn't this be in the Watercooler thread...??
Posted By: CV Re: Children of Men - 04/13/07 11:25 PM
I thought watching movies at home was related to home theater! Give me a break!

I didn't have a problem with the last 45 minutes. I'm glad I didn't read any reviews, though. I only heard idiots on video game message boards talking about it, so my expectations weren't high. It was a nice surprise.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 05:06 AM
I just watched this movie last night and really liked it. It is pretty bleak and depressing, but like Charles said it seemed well thought out and genuine. Also, the sound was excellent--really got to appreciate the QS8s with it.
Posted By: cameron Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 05:59 AM
Wow, the bass was amazing. If it sounds this good on HBO, I can't imagine what the DVD sounds like. That bass ripped through me.... almost better than any movie I have ever seen!!

I liked the movie, I thought the Time Warner Cable rating of 4 stars was a little much, they rarely give a movie 4 stars unless it's been around for quite awhile. Hell, I noticed that Heat, Star Wars (IV) and Shawshank Redemption all got 3 1/2 stars for god's sake.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 06:27 AM
Yes, the bass was very effective in the movie.

How does Time Warner Cable arrive at their ratings, I wonder?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 06:49 AM
I watched in on HD DVD. looked pretty good.

I watched it before I got my axioms, so I cannot comment on the sound \:\(
Posted By: cameron Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 06:03 PM
I don't know where they get there ratings, but for the most part they do give you a ballpark idea as to how good a movie is. Some are way off of course IMO (original Caddyshack is 2 out of 4 stars)but most seem reasonable. I recently re-watched Momento and Fight Club, both had 3 1/2 stars which sounds about right to me.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 06:10 PM
I use metacritic.com for movie/game ratings.

I find that they typically rate movies a little low (it is just an average of several different reviewers- there is always someone who doesn't like a movie- and this someone brings the average down)

It is nice having all of the reviews on one page in front of you.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Children of Men - 01/05/08 06:36 PM
I saw this movie in the theater when it came out last year, and I re-viewed it on HBOHD last night. I think many of the elements of the movie are enhanced after a second viewing. This is the kind of movie that tells the story moreso through the visuals than via dialogue. I also read that this movie is noted for its long takes on certain scenes. Excellent use of sub and surrounds during the attacks!
© Axiom Message Boards