Axiom Home Page
I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR340, its under repair by warranty right now. I was wondering what Receiver is best for Axiom speakers. I have a couple brand in mind, such as Denon 2807 and 4806. The other brand is Marantz sr7001. So which is best? I want to thank you in advance .

My setup:

VP150
M60
QS8
HSU VTF3-mk3 /w turbo
K, all of the receivers that you've listed have been competently designed and therefore amplify transparently without adding any sonic characteristic of their own. Axiom speakers don't have any unusual requirements that would make a particular receiver "best" for them. Buy the one(and you could certainly add others such as Onkyo or Yamaha to the list)that fits your budget best and has the features that you want.
So your saying that Axiom speakers doesn't require a high budget receiver to sound great? I see your point.

Another question: Does the wattage rating on the receiver matters for Axiom speakers? For example my HK-avr340 is 55watt-x7.1 channels. Is that sufficient?
Axiom speakers are very efficient and easy to drive by most AVR's. I would stick with a good brand like HK, Denon, Yammy, Onkyo, etc. and you will be fine.

HK's are rated very honestly, unlike some other brands who state higher power ratings than what is factual.

You don't mention how large your room is or how far back you sit, as this can make a difference. But keep in mind that an Axiom speaker that is rated at 95dB from 1meter (3ft away) when only using 1 watt, is pretty loud for normal listening. So in most cases your 55 watt HK should be fine unless your trying to fill a gymnasium.
Its a medium size living room, and I sit 12 feet away from the fronts, and center speaker. Room size 12" high, 10ft" wide, and 17 Length.
I'm surprised nobody has said that your current receiver is just fine unless you want some new bells and whistles.

I originally ran my set up with a H/K AVR110 and it did a great job. It reached and went beyond the SPL I was looking for and never clipped or shut down. I only upgraded my receiver as I found a great deal and was looking for more functions and toys.

Try your current receiver first and then see if you need anything. As long as it comes back from the shop working
That is what I was hinting at based on his question if his current receiver would be "sufficient".
All speakers especially 4 ohm speakers benefit from higher powered amplifiers. The more powerful the receiver the less chance of clipping or distorting during intense movie scenes or loud musical passages.

I would get the most powerful receiver within your budget.
He might just want something different because the one he has tore up. I did the samething with a brand new Pioneer Elite a few years back. Broken out of the box, repair(acutally replaced) after a couple months, and sold to buy Onkyo. Doesn't matter what you get as long its one of the mainstream units.

Bill3508
Quote:

That is what I was hinting at based on his question if his current receiver would be "sufficient".

True enough.

I've been trying to avoid looking at receivers/amps lately but I was pretty sure the 340 was fairly new. So it seemed strange to be looking to replace it already, especially since he's running 60's not 80's. To me it seemed to make more sense spending money on something else.
Budget and desired options / functions of the receiver should dictate which one to get nowadays. If you are buying new, I’d get one with full HDMI audio processing capabilities and choose one that works as advertised. Not all do. I’d also shy away from HK. Their QC is in the crapper lately, but fortunately their customer service is top notch and they will take care of your problems.
© Axiom Message Boards