Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ragnarok M22 for center? - 05/04/07 05:47 PM
I had an accident with one of my M22 2 month ago and the cabinet have been broken(my setup is 2.1, 2 M22 and a ep 350). I ordered another M22 to replace it without thinking of ordering the box only. Now I have 2 woofer and a tweeter in perfect condition. Now I want to order a M22 cabinet and build it for much less money (125$ I think). My center will be placed right below the LCD TV on an open shelve, the speaker placed horizontaly. I listen tv about 12 feet away. So my question is, is it a good idea or it would be better to save my money for a Vp150? I mean, will I notice a difference?
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 05:48 PM
This is a pic of my Tv stand.

Posted By: Hutzal Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 06:42 PM
If you can fit a vertical M22 under your TV that is actually better in my honest opinion than a VP150.

You will achieve a seamless sound stage across your front speakers. And the vertically orientated M22 will have a wider horizontal dispersion.

-Hutz
Posted By: ctk Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 07:06 PM
Quote:

If you can fit a vertical M22 under your TV that is actually better in my honest opinion than a VP150.

You will achieve a seamless sound stage across your front speakers. And the vertically orientated M22 will have a wider horizontal dispersion.

-Hutz

This may be a dumb question but, what makes the m22 better for a centre channel (in your honest opinion). Does it actually give better horizontal dispersion?
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 07:11 PM
I was just about to post the same question. The VP series is already wider to start with, so how does a vertical center give a wider dispersion? I can see how the soundstage is better as you would be using exactly the same speaker so no difference in sound quality at all, but the wider dispersion thing has me scratching my head, always has.
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 07:34 PM
Yes, if I had the place to fit it vertically, I would, but all my component are on this tv stand so I have no other choice than to place the speaker horizontaly... Is horizontal placing is that bad?
Posted By: ctk Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 07:38 PM
One concern with the horizontal configuration is that the speaker will not be symetrical (in the horizontal). ie. The tweeter and woofers will all be off axis.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 08:00 PM
I have actually read an article on vertical speakers and horizontal dispersion, not sure where I found it, just tried to google it and found nothing.

JohnK should be in here soon to hopefully provide some literature on the matter.

Concerning your tweeter and drivers. if you need a horizontal speaker positioning, I would suggest ordering a VP100 shell instead of a M22 shell, it uses the same drivers and tweeters, you should be able to insert them into the VP100 shell. However, I would contact Axiom prior to doing this.

-Hutz
Posted By: ctk Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 08:12 PM
Found it...

Vertical Centre discussion
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/04/07 09:54 PM
Yeah, I already talk with someone from Axiom and he told me that I would have to buy a new crossover and another grille. It bring the total to about 225$. Since I'm on low budget, I thought it could be an idea to build a M22 for 125 and use it as a center...
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 12:43 AM
Ok, here's what I don't understand about the argument that the M22/M2 is better as a center than the VP100/VP150: Isn't the VP series the same thing as an M22/M2, just horizontal and +/- 1 midrange, +1 tweeter? Yes, the cabinet is a bit different, but is the crossover? (Edit: It would appear so from the post above...)

I mean, Axiom uses the same tweeters, mids, and woofers across the entire range, especially when you're taking M2/M22/VPxxx matching. My VP150 blended seamlessly with my M22's when they were my fronts, and now my VP150 blends seamlessly with my M80's.

Do what you will, it'll sound good. But IMHO unless you have a special setup (like a wide home theater setup - I can then totally understand having a pair of Mxx's as fronts to push out the center soundstage), I'd save my money for something from the VP series. If you just bought the M22, I'm sure Axiom will happily let you return it and exchange it for a M22 'shell'. They might even let you return the drivers only, and credit you the difference. You never know.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 01:30 AM
What I had forgotten when I made the same argument was that the VP series is not ported.
Posted By: dllewel Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 01:47 AM
Yes, that's the biggest difference I think- the sealed design vs. bass reflex.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 02:58 AM
Jean-Francois, if you can't possibly fit the M22 in vertically, then it appears to be a moot point. The horizontal M22 would have a less even response, since vertical speakers have a wide and even horizontal response and a narrow and more irregular vertical response. Used horizontally the less desirable vertical response pattern takes over. The result may still be acceptable, so you could give it a try.

As to the horizontal MTM center question(the TMMMT VP150 may be better)measurements of such centers indicate a significant(although not disastrous)horizontal irregularity; simply being wide isn't the relevant acoustical design factor, although some may view it as aesthetically more satisfying. There're articles discussing the point and the one that came to mind most quickly is this one by Tom Nousaine published in the Audio Critic(which incidentally has a collection of free back-issues online with much useful educational material).
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 01:45 PM
I finally decided to put the speaker verticaly under the tv. Not nice but i managed to place the component on on shelve. Thanks for the information you guys.
[image]http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/12ragnarok21/?action=view&current=DSC04185.jpg[/image]
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 01:45 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/12ragnarok21/DSC04185.jpg
Posted By: ctk Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 04:22 PM
Looking at the location of your centre channel in relation to your shelf, you may want to move it. You may notice that you get sound reflection off of the glass shelf, I would be tempted to move it towards the front of the shelf to avoid as much sound reflection as possible.
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 05:22 PM
Yeah right, I'll do that, didn't tought about it. Thanks
Posted By: HAY Re: M22 for center? - 05/05/07 07:39 PM
I think it looks good in the picture, it took me a couple seconds to even see it. Cool set up!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M22 for center? - 05/07/07 02:08 PM
Ragnarok,

That looks freaking cool!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M22 for center? - 05/07/07 02:24 PM
I weep when I see how people without small kids can place their equipment without having to make contingency plans for little fingers that mess with exposed knobs, buttons, and shiny sufraces.
Posted By: Ragnarok Re: M22 for center? - 05/07/07 04:06 PM
I think it looks cool that way. I hope the sound will be good too. I placed the order today and it will cost me 110$. The tweeter of the central speaker is about 4 inches below the mains...Cant wait now...I'll show you guys the setup when the spearker arrive.
© Axiom Message Boards