Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ereed How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 01:58 PM
I need a subwoofer to complete with my Axiom set. I've decided to go with Axiom brand after debating between axiom, svs, hsu, etc. Not sure which size axiom is best for me but I have to rule out the 600 because of its tall sheer size. I was thinking maybe the 500. The room size is 16 by 16 and 9 feet high to ceiling. It has large opening to the kitchen, so I'm not sure if that makes my theater room bigger? Not sure which sub I need or how much bass I would need to fill that room since I've never had experience with subwoofer in my theater before. By the way the sub will be mostly for movies.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 02:10 PM
If budget isn't an issue, it sounds to me like the 500 is for you!
Posted By: snakeyes Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 02:20 PM
The simple example is as big as your budget can handle. If you can afford the 500 get it. im sure you wont be disappointed. one disclaimer i have never heard the 500 but i have the 350 which i like and works fine but i occasionally have sub-woofer envy and have to talk myself off the ep-500 order page.
Posted By: RickF Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 02:22 PM
Can't never have too much sub ... ain't that right Jakeman?
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 03:02 PM
Very funny Rick. Well yes when you come to subwoofers higher output usually means better performance but there are several other important criteria, space and WAF being right up there. Luckily for me, the latter two criteria don't affect me.

I currently have an EP600 in a TV room measuring 11'x19'x9' not quite 1900cf, level matched to small JBL monitors and am very satisfied with it. That room is smaller than Ereed's 2300cf room.

I often get asked that question "how much subwoofer do I need?" which I usually respond with "how much headroom can you afford"? Its not a smartass answer because subs are like that. My general recommendation is for people to see if they can justify dual subwoofers. One EP500 would be an excellent choice with loads of clean output and the EP600 better still. But 2 500s would be optimal since it would provide more even frequency response throughout the room with still more headroom.

On dual subs, I have gotten a few PMs about dual 350s instead of one 500 but I wouldn't go there because there is such a leap in performance from the 350 to the 500.
Posted By: ereed Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 03:03 PM
I don't really have a budget, ok I won't spend over $1500 for a high quality sub. I was just wondering which I need. Lets say that the 350 is overkill for my room, why would I need to spend extra money on 500. But if 500 is what I need, then that is what I'll get. Never have too much sub....good one! ha ha
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 03:16 PM
Good choice. I'm not knocking the 350, but for the difference in price the sonic performance jump to the 500 is huge. About the only thing those subs have in common is that they are made by Axiom, use 12' drivers, and reflex alignments. The 500 has a 500w digital amp compared to the 200w amp in the 350 so right there you will have a big difference in sound quality with less distortion on the 500. The 500 extends 8hz deeper has 2db more max output. The 500s DSP controlled frequency response will mean more linear output than the 350. It is a killer sub in all respects. I have yet to hear a 12" sub which sounds as good, except for the 600 and the Velodyne DD12 subs.
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 03:37 PM
I have an EP600 in a 4000 cubic foot room in the basement. It fills the entire room with deep, heart-pounding bass...no second sub needed! During LFEs, the entire house shakes from top to bottom. There is no escaping the power of this one-eyed clown anywhere in my house. And I have the volume on the sub set half-way and the LFE gain on the amp has headroom for another 22 dB! My sister was over last night to watch U-571 and she was severely freaked out and distressed during the whole movie (as she put it, the audio felt like she was in the middle of the action) but particularly during depth charge scenes.

So based on my experience, one EP500 for your space should be more than adequate.
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 03:50 PM
If the main issue is output and budget for maximum performance, one 500 will be more than enough in a 2300cf room. If other concerns include more even FR and fewer flatter room nodes, go duals. I found 2 600s or 2 500s in my 3500cf HT provided a significant step up sonically while keeping total output constant. There were marginal improvements with adding more subs but not enough worth recommending. In your 4000cf room, Mojo there is no doubt you would benefit from adding a 500 or another 600. The bass would be that much more palpable and articulate, though ideal installation would require more effort.
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 04:13 PM
Hi Jake,

I just can't imagine what better bass would sound like in my room . If you take a look at my room response (which I posted but no one is helping me with ), it's quite flat in the lower bass region. And I've confirmed that it's that way along the entire couch length where we sit to watch movies and listen to music. Subjectively, as I walk around my room, the lower bass is smooth and even which frankly I find quite surprising. Perhaps it has to do with the tight and heavy construction of my room.
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 06:31 PM
Hey Mojo, I see why. Smart postioning of the EP600 on that mid-sidewall alongside the length of the sofa. If you have a robust amp, I would suggest a 60hz crossover to get better deep response without compromising stereo imaging on the M80s. Your FR graph doesn't load by the way.

The other significant advantages of duals include less distortion,ringing and compression at high transients. Besides going dual, I would suggest you take a long look at acoustical treatments. Bass traps would really tighten up LF sound in that big irregulaur room.
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 06:59 PM
Yes, thanks Jake. I forgot that I experimented quite a bit with the position of the EP600. I moved it all over the room including horizontally behind my couch and the current placement gave me the best results. I currently have the cross-over set for 80 Hz for movies and 40 Hz for music. I will definitely be trying bass traps and other treatments.

As for the room response graph, there is something very strange occuring on the Axiom server. I no longer see the graph either but when I view the post after doing a historical search, I can see it. I would be very interested to read your comments on this.
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 07:26 PM
Its not as bad as I've seen but the 25db swing between the 50hz peak and 90hz null indicates you can really improve bass in room. Your first concern should be to eliminate that peak at 50hz. If you have the capability try crossing at 70hz first and then switch phase to see which setting smooths response with the mains 10hz up and down. I'm assuming you have the sub bypassed and are crossing at the processor. Once you have that peak tamed keep raising the crossover point, up to 90hz or 100hz, if you have to and see if the null disappears. You may just have to live with the null at 90 hz but traps in the corners should help raise it.

You can see the effect of room resonance from the periodic nulls every 25hz from 90hz to 100hz. Acoustical panels at the first reflection points would help somewhat. I know you like the imaging but experimenting with distance between the speakers and between the M80s and the wall may also provide some benefit with response. If they were my speakers I would move them out somemore but let your ear be the judge. I see you are constrained where you can move the sofa by the pillar so you will have to find the best compromise. Looks like you have a few hours of fun ahead of you.
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 10:03 PM
Note typo above in first sentence of 2nd paragraph. It should say "periodic nulls every 25 hz from 90hz to 190hz"
Posted By: michael_d Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 10:48 PM
I can’t believe I’m asking this…….because it’ll just be one more thing to worry about…

But anyway, how do you guys measure your rooms to tell what you need to do?
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 10:52 PM
Thanks. I'll try what you recommend in the first paragraph.
Posted By: Wid Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 10:59 PM

Don't even go there Mike, you'll just drive yourself crazy if things don't go right.
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 11:02 PM
Well, there are two parts to that question: 1. measuring and 2. interpretation of the measurements.

Measuring is really not very hard. It only takes about 45 minutes to an hour to map out the response at your main listening position. Use the test tones that you can find at the RealTraps website to map out your room between 10 Hz and 300 Hz. For each frequency, record the SPL (C weighting, slow) using your sound meter. Then transfer the readings into Excel.

Interpretation of the measurements is another matter entirely. I am still learning about this.
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/13/07 11:28 PM
The way I look at it, Mike, if its something you'll worry about or might ruin your enjoyment ignore it. If you consider it as part of the fun with this hobby you have to do it.

The most cost effective way to improve quality of sound is not to buy more gear, its to analyse and adjust for room acoustics which is what Mojo is doing. On the other hand buying that second sub and placing it on the other mid-sidewall would also help tame those deep peaks and nulls.
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 12:31 AM
Ok Jake. You've convinced me. I've ordered three more EP600s .
Posted By: HAY Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 12:40 AM
You should be very happy with the 500,
Quote:

Not sure which size axiom is best for me but I have to rule out the 600 because of its tall sheer size.

But remember the 600 comes vertical or horizontal ...
Posted By: jakeman Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 03:06 AM
Quote:

Ok Jake. You've convinced me. I've ordered three more EP600s .

Here ya go!

Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 04:00 AM
Uhmmm...I wish I had neighbors like you .
Posted By: michael_d Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 02:14 PM
Quote:

Don't even go there Mike, you'll just drive yourself crazy if things don't go right.

That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if Mark Johnson ever found that suport group?
Posted By: michael_d Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 02:17 PM
Mojo,

At what steps do I record the measurement? And what measurement am I to record? I can asume, but pls clarify.

I can't believe I'm about to do this....sonofabitch....
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 02:35 PM
Record the slow, C-weighted sound pressure level (SPL) from your sound meter for each 1 Hz frequency increment using the RealTraps test tones. Then plot frequency on the x-axis and SPL on the y-axis. Understand?
Posted By: Mojo Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/14/07 02:52 PM
Four things before you jump into this:

1. Most SPL meters need to have a correction factor applied at lower frequencies. Do you know what these correction factors are for your meter? If it's a Radio Shack meter, you can readily find correction factors on the net or even on this site.

2. Make sure you record the gains that you've set for all of your channels, the main gain, sub gain(s) and all cross-overs. Also record the position of your meter (best to take a picture). You want to be able to replicate this exact same environment so that you can measure again after you've applied sound treatments.

3. If you change your room around, you'll have to repeat all of this.

4. After you've done this, you will wonder what the results mean. Are you prepared to spend the time to educate yourself ?

One last thing. Take an ambient noise measurement before you begin to establish your noise floor. Raise the gain on your main amp to be at least 10 dB above this noise floor.
Posted By: shag Re: How big of a subwoofer do I need? - 05/23/07 02:02 PM
hmmm, get as big a sub as you can possibly get. I wouldn't even try to talk you out of getting 2 EP600's.
© Axiom Message Boards