Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 04:47 PM
Amazon has got the complete series of Planet Earth on HD-DVD for $69.00. For those of you that have not seen the series on DiscoveryHD Channel it is truly breathtaking. The HD-DVD version is reported to be nothing short of remarkable. This could end up being used as my Demo material for HD. I'll report back once it arrives.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 05:22 PM
LOL....I'm waiting for mine too. Along with the Matrix Trilogy and POTC 1 / 2.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 05:59 PM
Quote:

LOL....I'm waiting for mine too. Along with the Matrix Trilogy and POTC 1 / 2.

Those are next on my list, I'm going to see if I can pick them up when I go into the city over the weekend.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 06:08 PM
One problem I heard about this set - the extra footage is included on the standard DVD, but not included in the HD set!! So, the extra HD footage is not on the HD disc set! Makes sense, huh?!?!?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 06:32 PM
I read that also, they also don't have the lossless sound options, it would have been nice to see some of the stuff on how they filmed it and to get premium sound. But for the price to get all the episodes in HD Imo it's well worth it.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 07:03 PM
Homedad:
Thanks for the heads-up...it was a remarkable series, especially in HD, and I was looking forward to it.

A couple of people reported on the Amazon reviews that the discs don't play on their XBox HD-DVD players....can you confirm if yours will once you receive it?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 07:30 PM
The Planet Earth series is absolutely fantastic on dvd. Knowing it is out in a higher definition format is great.
I highly recommend the set to anyone with kids. The videos are fantastic learning material which are highly engaging.
Posted By: Seattlelite Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 09:00 PM
I got the Blu-Ray version few weeks ago. The picture quality is amazing. Not sure about the HD-DVD version, but I think it should be good as well. As for the audio, it only has DD 5.1, no lossless. But I don't think we're missing too much..most of the scenes are narrated anyway..not much surround effect. Just crank up your receiver volume
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 09:21 PM
Mark, sorry I sold my 360 HD-DVD player when I bought the Toshiba HD-XA2. I'm surprised that some people have had problems with the add-on, it played every movie I owned. There is a new firmware update that came out May 15 for the 360 add-on and perhaps that solved the problem.
Posted By: CV Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 05/31/07 09:24 PM
I buy all of my HD DVDs through Amazon.com, even though, living in Washington, I have to pay sales tax. They have decent prices (considering), and I'm still getting the 10% off for buying so many HD DVDs at the beginning. It definitely beats paying outrageous local prices.

I bought the Planet Earth series, too. I have to admit I fell asleep during many of the episodes, but what I was awake for was pretty cool. The audio left something to be desired, but the visuals are pretty insane in parts, and yeah, very interesting stuff, sleeping spell notwithstanding.

I also just got The Ultimate Matrix Collection. I watched the first movie last night. I think it's starting to show its age. Now that the special effects don't impress, and we know the story, the shortcomings really start to show. Also, the video didn't look that great to me. I think the extra resolution was wasted. It didn't seem to be cleaned up very much. I imagine the sequels will look better. Also disappointing is The Animatrix being in standard definition. I was really hoping that would be in high-definition. Some of that art is really cool.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/07/07 02:57 PM
Any chance that someone bought these in the HD-DVD flavor and played them on their XBox 360 HD-DVD drive?

Some on Amazon have reported that they don't play, and I was going to place an Amazon order today anyway........ I don't think they would be returnable if opened, so it would be great to find out before spending $70....
Posted By: CV Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/07/07 10:54 PM
I would try that out if I had a working Xbox 360. I'm still tempted to buy a new one, but every day I'm reading another article about how unreliable they are. I need to be patient and wait until Fall, when they're actually using the smaller CPU and GPU, and which apparently has to come with a motherboard redesign. Microsoft went from claiming the failure rate was within 3%, or whatever is common for electronic devices, to saying people should be concentrating on how good their customer service experience is when something does go wrong. It really doesn't instill a lot of confidence. You shouldn't feel like an extended warranty is a necessity, and in comments on video game blogs I read, many mention owning two Xbox 360s because of having to go without one for unreasonable lengths of time when it was out for repair. Anyway, hey, this is the wrong thread for that.

No, I haven't tried it on my 360. Someone here has to have tried, though, right?
Posted By: michael_d Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/10/07 03:27 PM
I watched the first disk with my son last night. Pretty cool stuff. Those photographers must have been waiting for quite some time to film some of those critters. I’m looking forward to watching the other disks.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/10/07 05:40 PM
Charles wrote:
Quote:

No, I haven't tried it on my 360. Someone here has to have tried, though, right?

There's a newer review on Amazon from someone that said the discs COULD be played on the 360 HD-DVD drive if the latest firmware was installed, so I went ahead and ordered the set.

I caught some of it on an HD broadcast, and it was amazing....I decided then and there that I would get it on an HD disc if ever available!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/10/07 06:39 PM
Mine is waiting for me at the post office, I'll get it tomorrow, I've only seen three of the episodes so I'm really looking forward to watching the rest with the family on HD-DVD.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/19/07 04:02 AM
This weekend I finally had a chance to sit down and watch several episodes, besides being a great series, the HDDVD version is absolutely stunning.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/19/07 04:04 AM
Quote:

This weekend I finally had a chance to sit down...

Yeah, it's tough being a homedad .
Posted By: Mojo Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/19/07 04:14 AM
Is it available on BR?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Planet Earth Series on Amazon - 06/19/07 06:00 AM
Lol, Amazon has the series on Blu-ray for $66.95 also.
© Axiom Message Boards