Axiom Home Page
All 6 episodes are playing on June 1 on HBO-HD. I've never compared the HD vs the DVD quality, though.

My Series 3 HDD will be very full...
I was told at one time that Episode I wasn't shot in HD.... That good ol' George and his "all digital" filming didn't shoot at a high enough resolution for HD... Is that true? How the heck would you transform a non-HD movie into HD? I did hear rumors that we will see the whole series on Blu-Ray later this year and in some "3-D" format in another year or so.... Will the madness never end? If I bought every "version" of this series or every format available, I'd be a poorer man than I am today.
Posted By: CV Re: Star Wars fans, set your HD DVR to record... - 05/31/07 10:19 PM
Just earlier this week Lucasfilm's PR shot down the rumors of any HD disc release.

And yeah, Episode I was shot with normal film because he didn't think the digital was mature enough at the time, I guess.
I believe film has a high enough resolution for HD.
Yes, I think it does too- Isn't 35mm good up to 4096 pixels wide? 70(65)mm would be even better.
That would be correct. The only limitation is how good the transfer to digital is, but with a good and clean print it shouldn't be a problem.
I now that film is good enough for HD. I was just stating that someone said that Lucas didn't do one or two of them with film, but did it digitally and at not high enough res for HD. It seems that EP:II for sure was done digitally and not on film, and probably EP:III... But at what resolution? Now THAT is the question...
We need Craig! We've talked about this (possibly pertaining to these films) before. As I recall, they're rather low res.

Of course, there is the question of why one would want to watch the new films at all...

Uh oh, I bet I'm in trouble from the Star Wars cops again...
I remember hearing that too, that ep II and maybe III were filmed digitally, but the resolution was high enough to fill many of the largest comercial cinema screens. I'd have to think they would be at least 1080 lines high given that? I certainly don't have any facts to back this up so who knows?
Quote:

Of course, there is the question of why one would want to watch the new films at all...

Uh oh, I bet I'm in trouble from the Star Wars cops again...

MiniRock is logging in as we speak...
I have one thing to say:

Obi-Wan is a Sith. Examine the evidence for yourself.
Quote:

MiniRock is logging in as we speak...

Too funny. Where is that guy anyway??? He hasn't been on in a year... He would know the answer to our Star Wars questions...
For sure he would! I was hoping he'd chime in on Ken's comments about Obi-wan being a Sith.
Quote:

Where is that guy anyway??? He hasn't been on in a year... He would know the answer to our Star Wars questions...

He's in a Galaxy Far, Far Away...
Totally a Sith. Luke would be completely evil if he kills the nastiest bastard around, but Obi-Wan can go around chopping people in half (in anger, mind), slicing things up, and leaving his best friend missing 3 limbs, in agony, to die. Uh huh.
© Axiom Message Boards