Axiom Home Page
Posted By: chromasound Center back channel? - 12/08/02 12:48 AM
My new onkyo receiver (SR800) has connections for two 'center back' left and right channels (7.1). I'm already set on buying the QS8's for the left and right surrounds--would I want to match them with a pair of QS8's for the center back channels as well? Essentially, I'm wanting to know if 4 QS8's would be overkill for a medium sized room (10 x 15 ft). Moreover, would I want two diffusing speakers for the 'center backs' in the first place? Would direct speakers be more appropriate here?

I intend to have 2 M3ti's for the mains and a VP100 center...Any comments would be appreciated. (Admittedly an HT newbie)

Thankyou.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Center back channel? - 12/08/02 05:45 AM
CS, QS8s in back certainly wouldn't be "overkill", but the question is exactly what you said, i.e. would you "want" that type speaker in back. If you haven't experienced both direct and diffusing speakers in back, you don't know which you prefer. There's a difference of opinion on this with maybe a slight edge to the more direct speakers, such as M2s.
Posted By: chromasound Re: Center back channel? - 12/08/02 10:13 PM
I might start splitting hairs when it comes down to it; maybe a direct or diffuse center back would be optimal for some films, and not others.

For instance, say I listen to a direct center back setup with a movie LOTR and I love it. Maybe it wouldn't work so well with another optimized HT audio film like Gladiator (sigh). I guess I'll just try and audition as many films as I can at a local stereo shop. I can be very indecisive in these situations, but I appreciate your help JOHNK---I've read quite a few of your responses on the message board and I can tell you're very knowledgeable...thanks again.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: Center back channel? - 12/10/02 12:01 AM
I'm planning on directs for my back two channels with a Denon AVR-4802. DVD-Audio is encoded with direct speakers mounted behind you in mind from what I'm told. Additionally, I already have the QS8's filling a good deal of space on the side and the room isn't anywhere near as wide as it is long so I think a couple M2's will be ideal. Best of both worlds so to speak. YMMV.
© Axiom Message Boards