Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Newf HT project #2 pics - 09/14/07 03:02 PM
You can see my old theater at

www.axiomaudio.com/newf.html

Well, little background. That was our hold house, it was too small, and in a bad area of town. So we looked for something else to get. Took 3 yrs to find something else, and I still don't have a home that I can say that I'm perfectly happy with, but I certainly wanted my theater back. The theater in the older house was barely 2 years old, took me months to put it together. It's funny how much faster the second time around happens.

As with any house project I am not "done". Since this room, while obviously very similar to the old one, but is rather larger there is a few other things I want to do. Fireplace, crown moulding with rope light effect. But there is a bar adjacent to this that I am going to work on first. At least the theater is useable now....and that is the main thing.

On a side note. I hate wiring. That room is wired for 9.1 plus a second center. And the wires for the bar area also run through the same walls for another 5.1 setup. Then there's the pot light wiring, the projector wiring....AHHH, 90% of time comsumed is wiring really.

that screen is 115" for those wondering.
Posted By: jakewash Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/14/07 04:43 PM
Very nice. I think my wife wants that wall color and suede look. I know I am in for some repainting this winter.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/14/07 04:47 PM
Just lovely.
At some point i will have to post the pics of our setup since the renos 2 years ago, in a location more permanent to provide a link.
I really should send Amie some updates for the Wall of Fame at least.
Posted By: Newf Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/14/07 05:51 PM
I've got to figure out how to take a better picture though. Those pictures came out all yellow'ish. the green doesn't look right at all.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/14/07 05:56 PM
that is simply an awesome room!!! very inviting!! I love everything about it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/15/07 12:04 AM
Very nice, newf! For some reason, I really like the wood frame around the screen. Are you going to stain it?
Posted By: holler Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/15/07 03:02 AM
Beautiful room. How'd you mount your center channel?
Posted By: CV Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/15/07 05:13 PM
I love your room, too. The walls looks so classy.
Posted By: a401classic Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/15/07 09:56 PM
Quote:

I love your room, too. The walls looks so classy.

Yes, how did you do the paint? That's the effect I'm looking for in my room.

Scott
Posted By: RickF Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/16/07 11:20 PM
Newf it's great to see you back ... seems like it's been quite a while since we've heard from you, the new digs are lookin' great!

Whenever you state that the room is wired for 9.1 ... is this a new home and did you do the wiring yourself? The paint *again* is quite stunning!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/17/07 04:29 AM
Well done, the room looks great!
Posted By: Newf Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/21/07 05:16 PM
thanks guys. I had to go with no theather for a few months while we moved and redone it, but it sure feels good to get those axioms playing again.

The Paint. It's amazing how easy that is actually. I did a long write up on it here years ago somewhere. But basically, you pick two colors, in our case it was Muslim ( Beige as us men call it) and Mountain Moss ( green in man colors again). Both in Eggshell finish. Obviously you can use different colors.

You paint the beige on first. 2 coats. Roll on like any paint, let dry.

The Green. You need at least 2 people, 3 is better. One to roll, and the other 1/2 to do the plastic. Yes, plastic. You roll on the green, and while it is wet, you take plastic and rub it on, then tear it off( garbage bags will do but clear plastic is better so you see what effect you'll have before you tear it off.)

There are some tricks. You need Glaze. You use 2 part Glaze, 1 part Paint. The joy is, you will use very little paint. a 1/4 can did my entire theater plus my office.

And, you don't rub the entire plastic into the wall, specifically the edges as you don't want creases. It dries really quick, so you have to act quick.

the paint is VERY durable. It hides just about any flaw in your wall, and if you ding or scratch it, you'll never see it. if for some reason you do need to patch a spot, it's nothing more brushing on some paint, and grab a small bag and go mad with it. The more you mess this stuff up, the better it looks. When you apply the bags, make sure to make lots of wrinkles in it as that gives it that cool effect.

I've moved on to our bar now. We painted that the weekend. I think we had a faulty mix of paint or something as it came out aweful. We just painted it plain red, no fancy stuff, now we get to do it all over again this weekend. I hate painting.
Posted By: Mojo Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/21/07 07:33 PM
I'd love to see Axiom color-match that .
Posted By: Newf Re: HT project #2 pics - 09/27/07 03:16 PM
Quote:

Beautiful room. How'd you mount your center channel?

Center channel is mounted with a FMB from Axiom. I placed a stud in the wall where I needed it to be beforehand.

BRotherbob: I did the wiring all myself. I'm a lan admin so I have at least some experience running cables.
Posted By: widescreendude Re: HT project #2 pics - 10/26/07 01:11 AM
Absolutely beautiful!

What are your room dimensions?

Like others have said, very warm and inviting.

Our new home should be finished by the end of November and I hope I can make my room look half as nice as yours.

Very nice!
Posted By: pickupmykeys Re: HT project #2 pics - 10/26/07 05:58 AM
That is unfreakinbelievable (not a word you say?). That makes me re-think the approach I'm taking on my basement since I'll be renovating it shortly. It even makes me want a projector.

Kudos on the awesome home theatre room.
© Axiom Message Boards