Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 06:51 PM
How do you do a proper speaker comparison test? Is it as simple as just unplugging the speaker wire from one set to another? I'm using my Denon's pre-outs to a RPA-1. Hopefully I am not embarrassing myself with what is probably a simple question

Thanks
It can be that simple or you could get a speaker switcher and then hook them up to that. I am currently using my receiver to switch between my M22s on the A circuit and my newly aquired M60s on the B circuit for a quick comparison.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 06:54 PM
What do you mean by "a proper speaker comparison test"? Do you just want to know if the speaker "works" or not or do you want to establish which is superior?
Which is superior. Comparing M80s to my current Paradigm monitor 9's.

Is a speaker switcher expensive? Available at a Circuit City?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 07:04 PM
I don't know where you can get a switcher although we know that Axiom does have at least one. Perhaps they would consider productizing it as there appears to be demand.

Why don't you try Jake's idea instead? The switch-over won't be seamless but it should be adequate for your needs.

Let us know what you find out.

BTW, you shouldn't try to establish which speakers are superior using just your ears. After all, you are only human. Now let the flaming begin (2x6 where are you?) .
I know how to switch from A to B using just my receiver, but how do I do it while utilizing my amp?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 07:17 PM
You got me on that one. I don't know how to do it unless you use an A/B switch.

Why don't you just use your receiver?
I found this rotary two pair speaker selector switch at Circuit City's web site. Would this work Jake?

selector switch
I would rather do it in a "real scenario". I would be using my amp to power them so I figure comparing them with my amp is the best way.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 07:38 PM
An A/B switch for 4 speakers would need at least 6 output terminals and 4 input terminals. This has 4 output terminals and 2 input terminals. So you would need two of these boxes and you'd have to switch them at the same time.

There are no specs on this switch so I'm not sure if it can switch the amount of current you're interested in.
Thanks Mojo. You're right about the switch not being sufficient for my application. I will have to resort to just switching speaker cables back and forth. I will definitely have my friends over who are in the audio business to have a listen and will let you know what the outcome is.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/27/07 08:46 PM
Unfortunately, that won't give you a really reliable result. Audio memory is incredibly short--when we've done speaker comparisons at my house, I've used the zone 2 outputs on my receiver (and sometimes a secondary receiver) and balanced the levels. That way, switching was almost instant.
I think I would still try the A/B switch, its not very expensive and you shouldn't be pushing that much current. They're not expensive, so if they don't work as well as hoped or not at all, you're not out that much money. Just solidly mounting 2 of them to a board so that one person could switch both would make it near simutaneous.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/28/07 01:43 AM
Wheelz, in addition to the switching matter(and matching the levels precisely)which has been the most discussed, a "proper" comparison would have to be done blind with an acoustically transparent cloth concealing the speakers. As Dr. Toole once commented in a bit of hyperbole to an AES meeting where he was speaking on the necessity of double blind testing of audio equipment: "If you can see what you're listening to, then you can't hear it!".
Or a cheaper alternative would be to blind fold the listeners.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/28/07 02:14 AM
Yeah Randy, but they cheat and steal a peek.
Posted By: CV Re: Help with proper speaker comparison test - 09/28/07 03:03 AM
You're not suggesting we gouge their eyes out, are you?
This might work a little better
© Axiom Message Boards