Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 10:09 PM
No, I'm not trying to start another great debate. Who got the most recent newsletter though. Alan suggested replacing the cables to fix some video issues on a TV. Thought that was interesting, since we often see debates about cables on here, although usually those debates relate to audio and not video cables.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 10:23 PM
Video is a much more demanding medium than audio. It stands to reason that using higher-quality cables will make a difference that is within a human's ability to detect.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 10:25 PM
Especially when capacitance is concerned....
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 10:49 PM
Not as important with audio??
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 10:49 PM
Hoo boy.
Posted By: mastaplaya Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 11:00 PM
Sorry, never mind.
Posted By: Wid Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Hoo boy.

\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cables Matter! - 11/28/07 11:17 PM
You just don't have to go overboard with the video cables. I usually buy the cheapest ones I can find for the length desired with the best shielding I can find. Video signals are low voltage so the cabling does make more of a difference than for audio, much like interconnects. There is just no reason to spend hundreds of dollars for a cable that does the same thing a $20 one will do, without a big brand name stuck all over it.

For example, with my recent TV and DVD player purchase I bought a $79 12' HDMI cable and a $29 12' HDMI cable, I can see no difference in the PQ or hear a difference in the audio between the 2, so I took the more expensive one back.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 01:36 AM
Has anyone tried rusty fence wire for video?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 01:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

Not since I relocated my TV from the backyard. . .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 02:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

Yes, but it gave a slightly red hue to everything.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 02:50 AM
I actually just switched out a video cable today with fantastic results. I have a rather old LCD monitor attached to my computer. The signal path before today, from computer to monitor, was:

1. DVI out on video card
2. DVI to D-Sub adapter
3. VGA cable
4. Base of monitor
5. analog to digital converter built-in to base
6. DFP cable (used before DVI became an accepted standard) from base to actual display panel

With the purchase of a single DVI to DFP computer, my signal path is now:

1. DVI out on video card
2. DVI to DFP cable
3. LCD panel

Everything is now noticeably crisper, and the screen seems to be a touch brighter, as well. After recalibrating the monitor, I am now feel I have a new screen for the price of an $18 cable.

I had been meaning to make the change for a really long time, but never felt a need since the old connection worked just fine.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 03:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I actually just switched out a video cable today with fantastic results. I have a rather old LCD monitor attached to my computer. The signal path before today, from computer to monitor, was:

1. DVI out on video card
2. DVI to D-Sub adapter
3. VGA cable
4. Base of monitor
5. analog to digital converter built-in to base
6. DFP cable (used before DVI became an accepted standard) from base to actual display panel

With the purchase of a single DVI to DFP computer, my signal path is now:

1. DVI out on video card
2. DVI to DFP cable
3. LCD panel

Everything is now noticeably crisper, and the screen seems to be a touch brighter, as well. After recalibrating the monitor, I am now feel I have a new screen for the price of an $18 cable.

I had been meaning to make the change for a really long time, but never felt a need since the old connection worked just fine.

A perfect example of what happens with too many connections, everything still works but a little loss at each connection affects the outcome.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 03:09 AM
Well, probably not a great a/d converter in the monitor at least.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 03:46 AM
Now I don't have to hit the auto-adjust button every few hours to make text crisper. That was definitely the fault of the a/d converter.
Posted By: ctown Re: Cables Matter! - 11/29/07 11:27 PM
I have been running my HDTV, Panny S77 DVD and Moto 6412 STB for over a year now with the cheap HDMI cable that Panasonic included and a $10 HDMI cable from Monoprice. It all works great.

No Mon$ter or other premium cables required here.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Cables Matter! - 11/30/07 08:49 PM
HDMI, Optical and Coax all send digital signals, 0's and 1's folks. As long the connections on eather end are in good shape you can't convince me that a $220 cable will sound / look beter than a $20 cable. As long as the 0's and 1's get to the device in the correct order at the right time, it doesnt matter how.

Paul
© Axiom Message Boards