Axiom Home Page
Posted By: EFalardeau Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/30/07 10:32 PM
Now that I have a working camera, I can take pictures. Unfortunately, I pushed my "2007 spring cleaning" by another week so walls are not that clean... But, since I am supposed to be getting my new "entertainment unit" on Thursday (very long story that will wait until next week not to jinx it!), I decided to take pictures anyway.

My first comment: plasma TV and camera flash don't mix well!

Here is how it looks from the fartest wall in the "living room/dining room" (13x22) (don't bother taken down serial numbers; they're already registered under my name!)

The view when I come in my little music-love-nest! (the postcards are there to prove to my sisters that, at least for the duration of a picture, I actually display their cards!)

Yes, on the table are my new headphones (HD-650), and yes I have started to re-read the last Harry Potter. Damn you guys are nosy!

The swedish sub. I called it the swedish sub because of all the massages it gives me when pipe organ is playing or some action-packed movie. I'll come back to the little bench later...

The view of 3 QS-8 from the front. Almost interesting. In case you cannot read it well, the labels on the speakers are saying "Axiom".

QS-8 on their stands... on a little bench... with some bits of wood to make it more stable. That is the position where the back QS-8 are better for music. For movies, they're actually better straight on the stands. I also have ceiling-mounts, but I haven't installed them yet to test. This is an appartment, so I am not too bothered by the look.

Alan and JC's favoite amp to drive the M80s!

SACDs, DVD-Audios, HD-DVDs... this is actually the most expensive part of the whole setup... until the end of January... (my whole CD collection is in boxes as I'm using either my computer, my iPod or my Soundbridge when listening to non-SACD).

I do not have a WAF, but I have a CAF. Believe me, it's almost as bad. According to her (yes, she's a she and she doesn't like to be called a it), the EP-500 has to go, along with all that noise generating equipment... but the sub first...
(BTW, I am a dog person, not a cat person. The only reason why I have a cat is very complex and involves the... involvement of a female of the human species).

Well, that's all folks!

If everything goes according to plan (and it already went terribly wrong three times already), I should get the missing box to assemble my new entertainment unit which will allow me to place the center channel up until end of Jan when I will also have a second one...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/30/07 10:43 PM
Eric,

Your 80s need more toe-in \:\) .

It looks cozy. The 500 must just pound in that space.
Posted By: CV Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/30/07 10:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Here is how it looks from the fartest wall [...]

Do we want to know how it earned that designation?
Posted By: RickF Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/30/07 10:54 PM
Eric, your system and setup looks very warm and inviting, those 80s and that 500 must darn near blow your place apart. Nice job my man!

I'm curious though, fourth picture down ... the white acoustic panel next to the curtains, how's that working out for you?

Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Here is how it looks from the fartest wall [...]

Do we want to know how it earned that designation?

I am missing a key between G and J on my keyboard...
Tat is wy I ad to write "fartest" it like tat.
 Originally Posted By: RickF
I'm curious though, fourth picture down ... the white acoustic panel next to the curtains, how's that working out for you?

Do you mean the heating system or the six-inches wall creating a sense of separation between living room and dining room?
The 500 does it's job alright! It actually is at very low gain, but the blend with all the other speakers is incredible and very linear. I like it...
Posted By: Wid Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/30/07 11:29 PM

Nice system Eric and a rather cozy looking room. Good thing there's no such thing as overkill \:\) No doubt you need that Axiom amp \:\)
Hey! It's 2800 cubic feet. Need to move the air! I am concerned, though, that the speaker grills may fall off with the A1400! \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/31/07 12:22 AM
Looks nice and cozy. I can just imagine sitting in the sweetspot while the 500 is rumbling away and you get bounced out of the seat.
Actually, Tex, here is an addendum question: one of the thing that impresses me the most about the 500 is its ability to play bass properly even at low volume. I love the M80s for that (they don't loose anything at low volume), but I was really surprised that a sub could do the same. I assume the 600 is the same, but I'd like to know (this is the part where you should feel it is your turn to speak...).
Posted By: Mojo Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 12/31/07 01:17 AM
The 600 does indeed perform very well at low volume too. One of the challenges I had was finding the correct gain setting. I kept turning it up too much. I've settled on 7 o'clock with the receiver at zero in my 4,000 cubic feet.
Sounds about right. I have mine a little before 6 O'clock, but my back is right against it. In your previous experiments, did you encounter many other subs that can operate low?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Pictures of setup... with new unit... - 01/04/08 12:58 AM
I will relate the tale tomorrow because I am tired... I received the final piece of my new Entertainment Unit. Adds some storage, but some funny problems. The Onkyo 805 was too long so I had to cut a rectangle in the back to push it to the edge and leave space for the cables... The long table has to be pushed to the side because it blocks the door by about 3mm! Anyway, I'm having a beer right now... and I won't have trouble sleeping...

Aaahhh... Enjoyment. TV 9 inches higher and central speaker above TV as I like... Aaahhhh.... Bliss.
Can't wait in a few weeks to have second center channel.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 01/04/08 10:12 AM
Are you going with another 150 or a M2?

I think I would find it annoying having the sound coming just that little bit off center.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 01/04/08 10:13 AM
Are you going with another 150 or a M2?

I think I would find it annoying having sound coming just that little bit off center.
Another 150.

It is only off-center with the screen and music has priority for me.

I only watched one hour and the dialog was not off-center. I am considering moving it a few inches left if I feel there is a problem.

Now that I am more rested, I might do some testing today (and resume watching Blare Runner on HD when the neighboors are at work!).
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 01/04/08 05:12 PM
You will enjoy another VP150. 2 VP150s are a good thing. One above and one below the screen works wonders. Are you going to knock out that center divider on the shelf below the TV or where will it fit?
It will be right in front of the TV, right-justified. That is where I had the 150 before and it was good. I just prefer to have a bigger field for music. The top 150 is now 4 inches to the left. Still sounds great for music and is more even for movies depending where I sit on the couch.
I keep seeing that memorex commercial in my mind...the one where the guy is sitting in the couch and his tie is flying back from the audio
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Pictures of setup... with new unit... - 01/04/08 09:59 PM
OK, I will tell the tale as concisely as possible, while capturing the mood...

Aug 9, I order a new Entertainment Unit from Sears (and a microwave, but that is irrelevant) for home delivery on Sept 1st.

Sept 1st comes and the thing is delivered. The unit is in two boxes. The first box is blank and the delivery man says it is normal. The box must have been dammage and repacked after inspection. In anycase, all the Sears labels are checking out. So, I unpack the smaller box (box 2 of 2) and start laying out the planks and little tid bits to help for the assembly. Then I turn to box 1 (alledged box 1, I should say)... I am a bit surprised about all the metal frames... This thing is going to be sturdy or what! ;\) Then I dig to the instructions... there is a picture... of a big metal chair... It is the wrong box. \:o I get on the phone, explain (very patiently) the situation to the customer support person (it is a Saturday) and she takes note and tells me someone will be contacting me.

The next Thursay, still no news. (((NOTE: from this point on, every time I call, it takes 3 people and one hour, each time recounting the whole story... which gets longer))) So, I call them back (one hour) to finally learn that everything is fine in my file and that I even called to say that I am satisfied! After a few "on holds" someone manage to understand that there has been a mistake and that I am actually NOT happy. \:\( Box 1 is re-ordered and the chair scheduled to be taken back on Sept 22nd.

Sept 22nd comes and the thing is delivered... BOX 2 OF 2!! The one I already have. I refuse the delivery. I call (one hour, remember) and get told that someone will call me on Monday.

On the Thursday, still no news. I call again and this time get to a fourth level of support where I learn that "oh! there's an asterix next to your file stating that you rejected the delivery because it was the wrong product" (apparently that is not enough for them to react!!!!). After a long, LONG debate (2 hours this time), I manage to get them to re-issue the order and have it inspected (they have a center for that) against the number from the manufacturer that I have from the other box. And then they have my cell phone to call me as it arrives there. 2-3 weeks, it is supposed to take.

Four weeks later, I call again. Status is "not arrived yet".

Two weeks later, I receive my card's bill. A new 455$ charge has been applied for a "Entertainment Unit".

A few hours later, I call again. Status is "what are you talking about". You had two sucessful deliveries. What's wrong? What order sent to inspection? I only have one charge in your file? Fax me the bill....". It took some time (and the young lady was very nice), but I got to the following point: she requested a reimbursement and she e-mailed the manufacturer directly to see if he was aware of anything and re-ordered the item with a special marker that would allow the manufacturer to flag the order as requiring verbal confirmation from her. Then I asked "you know how many people I talked to for the past 3 months? It may seem unfair that I ask this of you, but: why should I believe something will be done this time?" She then gave me her extension number and a promise that, even if she has no news, she will call me every Friday PM with an update until it is resolved.

One week later, I get a call requesting me to give her all the numbers (Sears and manufacturer) from the box.

Another week later, I get a call to settle this and she tells me she has markers all over the traject to double-check the BOM. We agree on a delivery on Dec 22nd...

Dec 21st... I get a call from Sears that my package is ready for pick-up! I don't have a car and we are talking about a fairly large 150-pound box. And, just as a matter of principle, I want that DELIVERED TO MY PLACE. I call... being bounced 2-3 times for over an hour, I hang-up. Then I e-mail. The last opened day, I call and e-mail. Never any answer anywhere.

Then, on the 27th, as the stores re-open, the young wowan handling my case calls me to see if everything is alright. I can only imagine her blushing when she realized that, after all these stupid mistakes that had been done in my file, she actually added one trying to help me! An hour later, I was receiving a call from the pick-up outlet. After much explaining again, I manage to have them arrange home delivery (free of charge, the woman was astonished when she read my file) for the 3rd... I HAVE IT NOW! But it does not end there...

On the Box 1 of 2 (the newly arrived box), there was a picture. It was NOT the one I had ordered... But it matched the other box... \:D After 20 minutes worth of smilies, I thought of calling them, but then felt just thinking of doing that. Actually, it was for the best as the other unit was larger and it would have pushed the speakers against the side walls. So, I decide to just mount it..............

I just hope I will not be overcharged another time. I actually will end up with a free metal chair!

That was long, but, believe me, it was a lot longer to live it though than reading about it.

Hope you laughed a lot! \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 01/04/08 10:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: vassillios
I keep seeing that memorex commercial in my mind...the one where the guy is sitting in the couch and his tie is flying back from the audio

You mean like Jakeman's avatar?

How is your Onkyo holding up with your M80s? Any problems?
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
 Originally Posted By: vassillios

You mean like Jakeman's avatar?

that would be the one
No problem whatsoever. The 805 family has been redesigned for 4Ohms and less. I AM upgrading to a A1400 soon, but that is not because I need to, mostly because the A1400 is at an irresistable price for that type of product and I can't wait to get that additional speed for piano and string attacks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Pictures of setup... 5 months later... - 01/05/08 02:37 AM
I thought that was Maxell that used to use that commercial, dang.

© Axiom Message Boards