Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobG Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/05/08 04:20 PM
I have M80's, VP150 and QS8's. I will not have a sub for a while. Question: I assume the M80's get set to large, but what about the other speakers? The manual for my receiver says "select large for all speakers that can fully reproduce sounds below the crossover frequency."

What crossover frequency do I select, and then which speakers get set to large or small?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/05/08 04:23 PM
If you don't have a sub, set the M80s to large and the crossover anywhere beetween 80-100hz depending on the capabilities of your receiver. The M80s will surprise you with how solid their bass is.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/05/08 04:31 PM
If you select "no sub" in your receiver, the cross-over should not matter if the receiver has been designed properly. The receiver should also set all speakers to large.

FYI in my room, the QS8s are "flat" to 75Hz and have useful output to 60Hz. I can't quite remember what my 150 can do and I don't have access to my notes right now.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/05/08 05:10 PM
Mojo, not sure I'm with you on this one. Without dusting off my manual, I'm pretty sure if I turn my sub off, then the mains (80's) will be set to large obviously, and the bass below the crossover for the other speakers will be routed to the 80's. You do not want the center and Q's set to large. This is my opinion only, your kilometers may vary.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/06/08 01:41 AM
Audyssey set my 150 to large and a crossover at 60, The M80s - large and xover went down to 40. The QS's were at 60 as well, but with a small speaker setting.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/06/08 03:11 AM
Yes, as Randy pointed out, if the receiver is set to show no sub, then the mains are automatically set large, but the other speakers still have to be set, and the speakers set "small" will cross over to the mains below the selected crossover frequency. For VP150 and QS8s the usual 80Hz setting should be fine.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Configuration and Crossover - 01/06/08 03:33 AM
dang, I got one right. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards