Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HAY HD-DVD Petition - 01/22/08 10:16 PM
I stumbled across this HD-DVD petition to Warner today, SAVE HD-DVD , anyone know anything about this or if there's others? Do any of them have a chance to get to the right people or is the originator just venting??
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/22/08 11:05 PM
I don't think that with all of the bogus signatures that anyone will take it seriously.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 12:24 AM
what? you mean that 'peter pan' and 'dub dublin' are not real?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 08:29 AM
Why dont we just start a petition to all the studios to drop HD DVD so we can get the stupid format war over with already and buy our Bluray players ;\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 01:05 PM
The movie studios respond better to huge monetary payouts than signiture petitions.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 01:13 PM
That's an even better idea. We should create a big Trust Fund to swing markets our ways. I'm in for 2$. \:\)

No, seriously, this may have been a good idea earlier on. Have all the HD-DVD owners collect money to force an exclusivity deal for Warner and Fox! No idea if that would ever work, but I wonder if anyone has ever thing this though to see how it would/could work.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 01:50 PM
On a positive? note, I got my 5 free HD-DVD from the rebate yesterday...
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 01:51 PM
Cool! When did you send it in? I'm still waiting for mine. I did get my bu-ray ones pretty quickly on the other hand...
Posted By: Ajax Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 01:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
On a positive? note, I got my 5 free HD-DVD from the rebate yesterday...

Yeah, I got mine too, and they substituted one movie I already had, and one I didn't want, for the two that I most wanted. \:o I'm not a happy camper.

I'll bet they sent you the two I wanted. FORK 'EM OVER!

(Whadaya say guys? Think that'll work? )

;\)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 03:48 PM
Hmmm, a petition to prolong the format dummy contest. I'm passing.

One of the formats needs to die soon and quietly. No doubt the competition has served to reduce prices, but the confusion still is a problem. Once a single format is identified, the manufacturers will drive further price reductions through competition and economies of scale.

If it's HD-DVD, so be it. Off with it's head!!!!

Just to be clear, I bought the $99 Walmart Toshiba HD-DVD special in November and have since procured 20 HD-DVDs. Matter of fact, Jack and I watched The Italian Job in my HT in mid-November. I also have the 5 DVDs on the way from the rebate, but it sounds like there may be a disappointment between what I order and what I get.

BTW - you can all personally thank me later. Given my luck over the years, my purchase of the HD-DVD stuff pretty much guarantees that BluRay will win the war.

On a more serious note, I really want to go after some DVDs in a HD format. I suspect I am not alone sitting on the fence until format is decided. It will be nice to see efforts concentrated and DVD prices also start to fall.
Posted By: Bayne Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 04:08 PM
Although I choose HD-DVD last year, I recently bought a Blu-ray player with the money I made selling about 100 DVD's on my work's inter-office classified ads. For those of you who haven't yet experienced it, high-def movies on a really big screen are amazing. Dare I say even better than most of the movies I see in local cinemas that are out of focus or suffer from poor sound management. DVD's can't compare even with the best upscaling available today. That being said, I actually hope HD-DVD dies a quick death so Blu-ray can prosper. I can't imagine having to down-load movies when I want to watch them in high-def. This format war needs to be resolved soon, and it looks more and more like Blu-ray will be the victor. I have about 15 HD-DVD's, and will be hard pressed to buy many more.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 06:37 PM
I sent my movie rebate in around November 15, so it was about 9 weeks (the form states 8-10 weeks).

I got Hulk, Italian Job, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Firewall and Darkman.

I really don't care to have any of these in HD, so I might try to swap a few of them at Walmart or something. The Hulk and Darkman have a sticker over the barcode, so I may keep the Hulk, and I know someone who wouldn't mind having Darkman... I liked the Italian ob, but have seen it way too many times to feel the need to have it in HD, Firewall wasn't bad, but I hear that the HD version isn't the best. I really did not like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I bet it is pretty colorful, but such an odd movie. Unlike most of the population, I am not much of a Johnny Depp fan.
Posted By: Hansang Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/23/08 11:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: skyhawk669
Cool! When did you send it in? I'm still waiting for mine. I did get my bu-ray ones pretty quickly on the other hand...

My bluray's came in about 4-6 weeks. HD DVDs took about 8-10 weeks.
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/24/08 01:39 PM
Yep that's how long it took for my blu-rays to show up, still waiting on the hd-dvds though...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/24/08 02:26 PM
i just got my free HD-DVD's 2 days ago. I bout my hd-dvd player friday before thanksgiving.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/28/08 07:55 PM
Well, today I took Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Firewall, and The Italian Job to Walmart to see if I could exchange them or something. Since I had no receipt I didn't expect much, but walked out with $73 on a Walmart gift card! I also sold Darkman to someone for $13. So if I take that off of the amount I paid for my player, I have an HD-DVD player with a copy of the Hulk for $17.88! Still a bargain! I still haven't opened the Hulk, but I might just keep it since the sound and picture is supposed to be really good for showing off HD.
Posted By: CV Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 05:33 AM
Yes, that is definitely a bargain. Good job.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 12:54 PM
My prediction: No format will win, and combo HDDVD/BluRay Players will be a necessity.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 01:35 PM
I would think that if Sony does "completely win" this thing that they would include HD-DVD capabilities in their players, thus everything would bea "combo" player. It would be a way to get HD-DVD folks to jump onto the Blu-Ray hardware sooner without having to dump their movies. At least this is what I am hoping for. Not so much for the sake of saving the HD-DVD movies that I have, but because I didn't build enough shelves in my equipment rack to support 2 players. \:\(
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 01:42 PM
Sony won't pay the licensing to incorporate HD-DVD technology into their own players. That doesn't mean other brands of dual-format players won't possibly become more prolific, just that they won't have the Sony badge.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 02:03 PM
Keep in mind, Sony was on the losing side of the fence with the Beta/VHS war...they are out for blood now.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/29/08 06:32 PM
However, the next big move for Sony has been projected that they will "buy out" the HD-DVD camp to squash it for good, thus in the process, they would OWN the licensing... ;\)

Not saying that they will do anything with it, but if they own it at some point, they certainly could. Of course, I am not a huge Sony fan (I do own a Sony digital camcorder from about 6 years ago), and think that I could get a better product from someone else, but still. I think that they could certainly influence what happens moving forward.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/30/08 03:49 AM
Most of you probably don't remember Woolworths, but I see they are dropping HD-DVD in their retail UK stores.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/woolworths_will_drop_hd_dvd/
Posted By: Zarak Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/30/08 11:40 AM
I saw a couple of Woolworth stores in Germany and was just thinking to myself...wow, I forgot all about them, are they still around. Just not in the US much it appears.
Posted By: doormat Re: HD-DVD Petition - 01/30/08 07:29 PM
Woolworth is now "The Bargain Shop" in Canada. There are a few stores scattered about.
© Axiom Message Boards