Axiom Home Page
Truly a somewhat different inquiry! I have a system on order including a 600 sub, M60 fronts, M22 rears, and 150 center. If it's not too late, I'm thinking of going for 80s over the 60s. HOWEVER, my seating is a super long sofa and regular size sofa in an L. The sorter part of the L is at the right on a 90 degree angle to the TV and front soundstage. The two people who normally sit there (one being a little kid) would only be 5 and 7 feet away from the right front speaker (pretty much aimed right at them). SOOOO - Would that short distance dictate staying w/ the 60s? Thank you for your response.
Is your question because the M80 often seems to require a bit more room at the back and are slightly longer and thus shortening even more the distance?

Otherwise, there is no reason to stay with the M60 for this (as far as I know, obviously! \:\) ).

Hopefully, someone with that had that exact situation will chip in.
PLEASE ADVISE. My question has to do with the close quarters in general--whether just 5-7 feet from an M80 is less than optimal no matter what the volume (probably true for an M60 as well, but I imagine it could be a non-starter for the M80). I went for the 600 sub because this room is open at the left side. It's a house where the kitchen eating area and den span the length of, well, three rooms. However, it's not a very deep den. Even the optimal watching/listening position on the couch at the back wall is just 10 feet from the front speakers and TV. Thanks everyone.
I'm within 8 feet of my M80s, without a problem. Except when the right one is pointed directly at my wife. I suppose the left one could have this effect too, but she's generally closer to that one. On the other hand, the same was true with my M50s.
From what I've heard the major comment on SQ comparing the 60s and 80s was that you had to turn up the 60s for the full/open sound that the 80s gave at all volumes. If this is what you're talking about, then the 80s would actually be better for your situation, as they could be played at lower volume to achieve ideal clarity.

Actually, re-reading your second post, you seem more worried about sitting close to one and far from the other, destroying any soundstage. I don't think there would be much difference b/n the 60 and 80 for that.

I sit 7’6” from my M80s and they sound perfect.
I have been 5-6' away and no issues from my M80s
Thanks for all the great advice. Late this afternoon, I talked to Brent and changed my order from 60s to 80s (along with 150 center, 600 sub and 22 rears). Can't wait!!!
© Axiom Message Boards