Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldskoolboarder My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:10 PM
Overdue pix. I put together a billiard room system for my father in law. He's always wanted a billiard room so he went with an antique table (from the 1800's). I'm not a billiard buff but maybe someone here can appreciate it.

I originally thought the black would be too dark and we'd regret not getting a custom finish. But I think the black works out best w/ the display and sub since it blends in well.

For the HT, we used:
2x W22's
1x W150
2x QS8's
1 Hsu VTF3
58" Panasonic 750U 1080p display (fantabulous)
Tivo HD with external 500GB
Denon 2808
Sonos (which isn't attached and we'll probably swap for an Apple TV)
Harmony 880

Because all the walls were open, I had the contractor run as much cables as possible, including extra CAT5 so we could use baluns in case we forgot something. I was already able to use one CAT5 to run the IR extender to the front panel.

I'm still trying to convince him that any self respecting man doesn't keep a wine fridge in a pool room. If he wants me to watch sports, he needs a beer tap...

Posted By: RickF Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:19 PM
Wow, that's extremely nice oldskool, I really do like the room color and that table is gorgeous. The W's are looking awesome with that placement ... is he digging the new sound system?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:29 PM
He loves it. Now he shoots a rack or 2 daily, now that he can, while watching something in HD. He'll probably spend more time playing pool and watching the SF Giants anyways.

Sound is awesome, but we get the inevitable, "It's too loud" from those in the kitchen...

The decor is probably a bit old school for me (I like more modern stuff, or at least mid century modern) but everything seems to fit well.

We had to place the TV and center up a bit high to make sure the table didn't block the CC. Also, we had to make sure that a cue stick coming back didn't hit the plasma glass... He hadn't considered that but I did.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:31 PM
That's a great looking room! I love the old billiards table--it definitely has its own character.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:42 PM
WOW!
Posted By: DaveG Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:52 PM
Thats a great looking room.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 09:54 PM
Sweeeeeet!
Posted By: Ajax Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 10:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
The decor is probably a bit old school for me (I like more modern stuff, or at least mid century modern) but everything seems to fit well.

I understand your feelings, and don't blame you one bit. But, we old folks tend to be a bit on the traditional side. I love the room, the clock, and particularly the table. Just gorgeous.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 10:14 PM
Too "old school" for "oldskoolboarder"... hm... ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 10:19 PM
That plasma would distract me from the pool table....or vice versa!
Posted By: Haoleb Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 10:27 PM
I think the only thing missing is tricking out the pool table so you hit a button and it flips over to reveal a big couch. James bond style \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/12/08 11:20 PM
Awesome table and room. I'm a bit of a pool addict now. The fact that we have a really nice table at work doesn't help things. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 02:03 AM

Very nice indeed.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 03:24 AM
Great looking room!
Posted By: myrison Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 04:00 AM
Very well done... Thanks for posting the pics. I agree with others here, the table looks awesome in that room with the rest of the decor.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 06:24 AM
Thanks guys. He's even offered to have his pool instructor come and teach my brother in law and myself when we're available. Unfortunately, I already warned him that the room must be closed up tightly when my 2.5 year old comes over. He's not allowed unsupervised. We've already had one cue ball chucked in the direction of the plasma...
Posted By: Murph Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 12:21 PM
Very nice. The table looks like something from an archaeological site with all those scrollings. I don't say that in dislike. It fits in nicely with the room.

Any trouble with shots when your back is to the fireplace? It looks like just enough room.
Posted By: davidsch Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 12:26 PM
Great looking room! I think that you could put a wine fridge in that room and it would still be considered plenty manly.
Posted By: aham23 Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 03:42 PM
man those on walls look awesome with that tv. were they easy to install?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 04:35 PM
They're easy to install when the contractor does it...

This room was remodeled so the walls were opened. We "guessed" on the size of the TV because it wasn't even available when the walls were completed. Then I kinda eyeballed where the speakers would go. The W's are supposed to snap into the frame but I think we have the frames so snug on the drywall that I can't get them to snap at all. Not a big deal, since they don't seem to slide. Although I would prefer they snap, especially since we live in the earthquake prone SF Bay area.

In the end, we had to raise the TV, including the AC plug we had behind it. I even had the contractor put in a surge protector that fits in a single gang junction box. We had to be cautious though because if it was too high, it was starting to look odd.

Ah, the fireplace... My father-in-law the pool hustler was too excited to even realize that aspect. I had to mention it to him because the fireplace was also redone w/ new stone. It protruded into the room a bit, and your cue does hit it when you are on that side. So...the contractor had to come out and move the light fixture to the side a few inches and the table had to be moved. You can't see it in the pictures but if you stand in front of the plasma, the pool light and table are centered a few inches to the right. When I think about it, it bothers me (I'm a visual person) but most people don't even notice.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/13/08 10:18 PM
The room inspires a warm, comfortable, enveloping feeling of a bygone (he says as he flicks the ashes from the end of his Cuban cigar and sips his brandy...).

Super nice room. How well does watching TV across a pool table work? I'm guessing the table just disappears.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 01:41 AM
What then, exactly, does a bygone feel like, Ray?
Posted By: arcticair Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 03:27 AM
Looks nice and that pool table is something!

Working in HVAC i service upto 15 homes a day and it amazes me how many people now have wall display units! It use to be only million dollar homes had them but now everyone has them!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 03:37 AM
That's where the trends start. Look in multi-million dollar homes today and you'll see what the everyman will want for himself a few years down the line.
Posted By: Murph Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 12:42 PM
Trophy wives?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 01:35 PM
Mark my words.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: My Father-in-law's system - 02/14/08 02:31 PM
But the everyman will only be able to afford one! \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards