Axiom Home Page
I am sure this has been discussed a lot, but search turned up nothing - can someone point me to one of these threads?

I am sure I could find the thread if I had a couple hours - but...
If you're using the Axiom search with no luck, you may want to try this One

As for your question, what's your intend use, how big is your room, which receiver do you have/plan to use, will you also be buying stands for the 22's?

I always prefer tower speakers and if you plan to do 2 channel stereo listening than the 80's would be great without the sub.
Personally I would go for the 80's you can always add ehw sum later. I started with the m3's upgraded to the M60's then to the M80's. I wish I would have just bought the M80's to begin with.
I have M22s with an EP500 sounds great for movies and very good with music.
Thanks for the responses

I have M22s, QS4s, an M2 for center, and a Hsu STF-1 (due to small space). I read somewhere on the forum someone said that the M60s are not too much better than the M22s with a good sub. (Maybe just one person's opinion). I have not seen an M80 vs M22 + sub comparison.

Use is mostly music, but some movies. Ultimately we will be moving into an apartment with a 14 foot wide by 25 foot deep living room / kitchen. Living room will be 16 feet deep (the kitchen is connected and that is 9 more feet - but I don't anticipate listening from the kitchen).

Right now my "living room" is about 7 feet wide and 20 or so feet deep (I forget exactly but the area I would listen in is about 20 feet deep, the kitchen adds about another 6 feet or so).
I would find that hard to believe, but that is my opinion. \:\)
Here is a helpful thread (found with pmbuko's search engine):

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177510&fpart=1

"The second bout was 60s vs. 22s. The pairing was very distinguishable. The 22s sounded very clear and very crisp but were missing warmth even with the 600 turned on. The sound was forward but not objectionably so. The over-all effect was too thin for my liking but I believe Jason enjoyed it. We both agreed that the 60s sounded more natural and that we'd like to see the qualities of the 60s and M22s combined. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the 60 as it more closely approximated musicality. As for Jason, I think he remained undecided at this point."

"The third scrimmage was 80s vs. 22s. This was really a no contest. The 22's crispness and clarity was embodied in the 80 without the 22's lack of warmth. We both agreed the 80s were far superior."

And later from Jakewash

"I was very happy to get to hear my M22s paired with an outstanding Subwoofer, however the sound still was not as warm nor full, as the M60s or the M80s."
that would be my opinion, however, I have not yet compared 22's to 60's or 80's.
You've already read my thoughts from the linked thread and I still have my M22s and they are no match for the M80s even when the M22s are with the EP600. Had not had the chance nor inclination to compare all the different speakers I would have just gone with an EP500 to go with the M22s but I had always felt a 3 way speaker would sound much more real than the 2 way M22s with a sub and I was right.
Hmmm - now I need to just forget what I learned here on this thread. Or else I will visit a local Axiom M80 owner's house and end up buying more Axiom speakers and parting with more money.

It's only money, easily replaceable.
you can't take it with ya...
< sarcasm >

That's why credit cards are great. You get to spend other people's money now. You might die before you pay off the bill. ;\)

Just make sure your life insurance will cover the bill....

< /sarcasm >
I probably will go listen to some 60s or 80s - but a decent HDTV is on the list to buy first.

Anyone in the Washington, DC area mind a visit from someone who is NOT likely to buy soon? I don't want to presume the welcome mat is out for stragglers - like it is for people actively contemplating purchases. (In other words - I don't want to waste people's time with nothing in it for them).
© Axiom Message Boards