Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Klugger What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 04:04 AM
Mine was a Sharp 32crt with S/VIDEO,H/K AVR 320,Athena Point5 speaker in a box combo,Sharp VC-H960(vcr)and a Sanyo dvd-sl18.
Just going through my owners manual file.Wife says im a packrat,still have all the boxes too.Maybe she's right.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 04:08 AM
My first HT system:
Onkyo TX-DS575 5.1 receiver (still use it)
Onkyo 6 cd changer
Zenith DVD player
Paradigm Monitor 9 mains
Paradigm CC270 center
Cambridge Soundworks surrounds
(no sub)
Mitsubishi 32" CRT
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 04:21 AM
sony 50" LCD rp
denon 3808
m80's
QS8's
vp150
ep500

Posted By: Ken.C Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 04:41 AM
How far back are we going, here?

Fisher shelf system--CD, dual tape, record player, 2 way speakers.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 04:52 AM
Well I had a $400 JVC boombox for several years but I don't think that counts as "HT"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:03 AM
Well, if we're doing HT, I've pretty much got my original system, except with M80s instead of M50s.
Posted By: duckman Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:37 AM
13" jc pennys tv on a rolling cart at the foot of the bed.
pioneer ld 1000 laserdisc player (still have it, but use a more modern panasonic unit) Well okay, I don't use the panasonic either)
JVC portable with 6.5" 2-ways and 2.5 wpc. Had a decent tape deck and full compliment of ext jacks. By this time I was using it for the tape deck.
Panasonic all-in-one stereo with marginal tape deck, passable tt, and unknown power- maybe 10-15 wpc? Blew a tweeter with it once. This was a hand me down from my sister, she still has it.
4.0 speaker setup, the 6.5? 2-ways from the panasonic set and a pair of 10" ported 2-ways that I used till the drivers rotted away in the late 90's. Front left was on the left sidewall firing directly to the center or the room, the other 3 were in their respective corners. Hey- it was loud.
The gear was perched in some fashion atop a "peaches" crate containing my lp's and the (very) few ld titles I had.
This would have been 1984. Just yesterday ;\)

I was genuinly proud of my system- especially the laserdisc, I had wanted that for several years before I got it.
Posted By: CV Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:45 AM
27" Sony Trinitron CRT

TC Audio bookshelves and a cheapo Sony powered sub with no discernible output

I don't remember what receiver I had, but it was a Sony

Players changed so often, and I have no idea what I started with. I started watching DVDs on a computer, not too long after they came out. I think The Long Kiss Goodnight was the first DVD I got. Many iterations of my system had my computer desk right next to my television, which made it easy to play media from the computer on the television.

I wish I had pictures of the system. It would be pretty funny to look at now.
Posted By: jakewash Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 09:56 AM
32" Sony CRT
Sony STR-D915
Bose 201's and some cheap Sony surrounds and center.

Still have it all and using in some form.
Posted By: DaveG Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 11:30 AM
13" B&W portable TV
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 01:52 PM
Kenwood HTIB, old Philips 19' tv, nuff said...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 02:29 PM
A 19 foot TV?
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 02:54 PM
I wish heh... Of course I meant 19"
Posted By: Hansang Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 03:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: skyhawk669
I wish heh... Of course I meant 19"

This is how those 18" midgets came on to the stage in the Stonehenge set! Another classic favorite of mine. The ' vs "

\:\)
Posted By: vassillios Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:01 PM
Receiver and processor:

Onkyo TX-SV828THX
Onkyo ED-901 (outboard DD Decoder)

Players:

Pioneer LD Player
Then on to an RCA DVD player

TV:

GE 33" CRT

Speakers:

Infinity 2000.6 fronts (still have)
Infinity CC-3 center
Velodyne ?? sub (still have)
Bose 4.2 for surrounds (still use for back surrounds)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:12 PM
Jack's was a drum made from Pterodactyl skin and a chain made from Raptor knuckles, positioned so he could take advantage of the view from the front of the cave while he listened to Grok play the drum.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:20 PM
\:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:24 PM
Ray only knows this because he is jealous, as he had to make do with jellyfish skin, which doesn't make as good a drum. He upgraded as soon as he could to the newer pterodactyl skin.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Ray only knows this because he is jealous, as he had to make do with jellyfish skin, which doesn't make as good a drum. He upgraded as soon as he could to the newer pterodactyl skin.

Actually, I waited until I could get 14 ga skin. The 18ga didn't give good lows.
Posted By: Ajax Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 05:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
Jack's was a drum made from Pterodactyl skin and a chain made from Raptor knuckles, positioned so he could take advantage of the view from the front of the cave while he listened to Grok play the drum.

Posted By: bugbitten Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 06:59 PM
rotflmao
Posted By: Ray3 Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 07:59 PM
OMG - that's just SCARY!!!!!

CLOVERFIELD!! CLOVERFIELD!!! CLOVERFIELD!!!!

I wish you had your mouth open to show everybody that one tooth you still have.
Posted By: vassillios Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/28/08 11:20 PM
Jack looks like a Pterodactyl

sorry sorry, just couldn't resist.
Posted By: medic8r Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/29/08 04:31 AM
LOL at Ray and Jack.

My first memories of home theater were in college, junior year, late 1988 or early 1989, when dormmate Rudy Pascua got a receiver with Dolby surround. We were amazed that different sounds would come out of the rear speakers. We would watch VHS tapes. I remember looking for the Dolby Surround insignia on the tapes when we would rent them. I learned that "Dolby System" did not equal surround, as sometimes it was equal to "Dolby Stereo".

Senior year, I had my own set-up with a Mitsubishi 20" TV (still works great), Fisher 4-head HiFi VHS, and a Pioneer stereo receiver over Cerwin Vega D1 speakers.

In the early 1990s, living the bachelor life, I got some 4-foot tall KLH speakers (dual 12" woofers, or maybe one was a passive radiator, I think) and a Sherwood receiver with Dolby Pro Logic Surround. I got a Cerwin Vega center and turned the D1s into my surrounds. That was weird, because they actually had better clarity than the brutish KLHs. I listened to a lot of stuff on "Hall" or "Theater" settings.

The KLHs are now my bedroom speakers. The Cerwin Vegas are awaiting installation at my workplace.

Cool thread!
Posted By: jakewash Re: What was your first HT package? - 02/29/08 09:48 AM
I have a Mitsubishi 20" from 1989 as well, my very first TV purchase. Best TV I have ever owned, never had an ounce of trouble and the picture still looks great.
© Axiom Message Boards