Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DBD Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:18 AM
I finished my basement just before Xmas and shortly thereafter ordered some Axioms. I built the TV console and just finished it when the speakers arrived. Before anyone gets too excited about my placement of the centre channel inside a cabinet, I initially had some concerns about that too. So, I built the console to be re-configurable, where the drawers could be widened and the receiver could go in the top shelf space. Then the CC could be placed in front of the TV or above it with a wall-bracket.
Having since done a lot of testing with the centre channel placed in its current location as well as on top of the cabinet, I can't say that I have been able to discern a difference. With the front edge of the speaker slightly proud of the cabinet, the voice track is crystal clear. I can't imagine a better soundstage than that produced from the M22s and VP150. I also have the EP350v3 off to the side. Having said that, if I do want to rearrange things I have the flexibility to do that. I just think this looks a lot neater without any tradeoff in sound quality. \:\) The Denon 2308 certainly helps out with developing a fantastic music or movie experience. Although I have the main room lights on in the photo, I've got separate pot lights and sconces on a dimmer switch so the lighting is very adjustable.

Posted By: StuntGibbon Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:26 AM
Slick setup, DBD!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:28 AM
Wow! You're a great craftsman.

I'd hate to do this but...have you tried moving the 22s into the room more? It should help make the soundstage even better.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:32 AM
That is a superb looking set-up! Nice job on the console. Everything goes together well.

Dang, I am extremely jealous.
Posted By: Wid Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:33 AM
Very, very nice. I sure do miss having a basement \:\(
Posted By: Mojo Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:33 AM
It looks like you don't have enough space for the A1400-8 though. You'll have to go back to the drawing board \:\) .
Posted By: Wid Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:35 AM

Sure there is, right above the dvd player \:D .
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Wow! You're a great craftsman.

I'd hate to do this but...have you tried moving the 22s into the room more? It should help make the soundstage even better.

Great suggestion - I'm planning to do just that. I'm just trying to decide if I should build some new speaker stands that work better on the angled walls, or just bring them forward about 14-20".
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:40 AM
It looks like you don't have enough space for the A1400-8 though. You'll have to go back to the drawing board \:\) .

The left side would easily accomodate the A1400. The VCR that is sitting there is only there as a placeholder for modern technical gadgets \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:47 AM
Ok, now I'm envious as I've ran out of space in my cabinet \:\) .

Try making an equilateral triangle between you and the speakers. It should improve imaging. Failing that, moving them further away from the back wall should also improve imaging. The angled walls will help with imaging too because, depending on the geometry of the rest of the room, you likely won't have first reflections to deal with.
Posted By: RickF Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:53 AM
Gorgeous system, the room and the cabinet/stand woodwork is beautiful ... as long as you have the leading edge of the center channel speaker protruding just a little from the cabinet enclosure you should be fine with the sound, it's whenever the speaker is tucked back into an enclosed shelf where the sound may be compromised. It does look as though your 150 is protruding from the front edge of the enclosure?

Great job.
Posted By: Wid Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:54 AM

Tex, Axiom hasn't come out with the 1/2 watt 1400 yet \:\) Don't worry about running out of space I'm sure it will be might small \:\)
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
It does look as though your 150 is protruding from the front edge of the enclosure?

Great job.

Thanks Rick! Yes, it is protruding just enough for the surfaces of the speakers to be "in the clear".
Posted By: Mojo Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:16 AM
\:D . The A0.5-8 for the spatially challenged ;\) .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:39 AM
Looks great, very clean set up. Someday I might get to renovate my basement to accomodate all my new gear.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:51 AM
Very nice, especially with the artwork.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:51 AM
DB, very elegant setup(and I understood what you meant by "proud").
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 03:16 AM
That is an OUTSTANDING set up DBD!!!

Ray
Posted By: Ajax Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 03:22 AM
WOW! Very tasteful and handsome. I agree with Ken (kcarlile) about the artwork. I really enhances everything. I've got another case of room envy. \:\(
Posted By: DaveG Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 11:42 AM
Congrats, your AV cabinet is a fine piece of craftmanship. Enjoy your speakers.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 12:52 PM
I'm late to the party....but I like the previously-used "elegant" word best!

Really, really nice!

Can you post some closeups of the cabinet? I love woodworking!
Posted By: medic8r Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 01:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: DBD
I finished my basement just before Xmas ...

Don't you mean bassment?

That one never gets old ... although if I keep it up, it might ...

Nice digs!
Posted By: sdmoel Re: Another HT pic - 03/10/08 02:49 PM
Wow! That's hot!

You should sell those cabinets. I'd love one.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 02:29 AM
Fantastic! Oh, to have time and a workshop....
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 02:41 AM
Very feng shui.
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 02:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'm late to the party....but I like the previously-used "elegant" word best!

Really, really nice!

Can you post some closeups of the cabinet? I love woodworking!

How about a mosaic of the various stages of finishing?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 03:03 AM
You lugged that in and out and in and out for the finishing? Beautiful job, by the way.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 03:48 AM
I'm really glad you upgraded the TV. \:\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 11:45 AM
Really, Really, Really Good Job
Posted By: aham23 Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 01:24 PM
clean and classy. just how i love my...........front stage. \:\)

later.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Another HT pic - 03/11/08 10:12 PM
Excellent work- very nice. \:\)
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: Another HT pic - 03/12/08 12:12 AM
Nice room and cabinet!! Next - post some pics of your shop for all us fellow woodworkers so we can have shop envy too \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Another HT pic - 03/12/08 02:19 AM
 Quote:
Don't you mean bassment

I can't believe I missed that!

Very nice cabinet. Did you do the design yourself?

The room is just stunning.
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/13/08 01:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:
Don't you mean bassment

I can't believe I missed that!

Very nice cabinet. Did you do the design yourself?

The room is just stunning.

Thanks Fred.
Yes, my design. Although it is fairly simple, so maybe design is too strong a word. Maybe it was more like a concept that I had to have a wide enough cabinet to put a TV on, and be functional with doors/drawers and storage, but also have a 3-D profile so it wouldn't look too uninteresting. It still took me about a day of design time in playing with the dimensions and drawing it up, but then I built it in record time (<20 hours, not including stain/varnish) because I just followed my plans instead of making it up as I went, which occasionally happens ;\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Another HT pic - 03/13/08 01:47 AM
I really wish I could do that.

So, have you tried moving the speakers into the room?
Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/13/08 02:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA
Nice room and cabinet!! Next - post some pics of your shop for all us fellow woodworkers so we can have shop envy too \:\)

Hmmm. I have no photo of the stationary power tools in the garage...
Aside from cutting the plywood on the table saw and jointing/ripping/planing the solid maple for the doors/trim, I did all the assembly, glue-up, and hand-planing on my workbench which is in the opposite corner of the basement to the TV room.
I built the bench about 3 years ago. It weighs a ton, but maple will do that.

Posted By: DBD Re: Another HT pic - 03/13/08 02:34 AM
I really wish I could do that.

So, have you tried moving the speakers into the room?

Not yet. Just got back from a trip to Dallas so this weekend will be my opportunity to settle in to the couch and do some assessing.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Another HT pic - 03/13/08 11:28 AM
Nice workbench!
© Axiom Message Boards