Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 09:15 PM
I'll have my QS8s wired by the weekend and I've got some friends comming over for a listen.. was wondering what are your top movies,sonicaly, to showcase the system with my new QS8s ?

So far, I've got Master and Commander the opening battle scene..maybe Saving Private Ryan opening ?

Any others ?

Thanks

Riker
The last LOTR, the battle with the Olyphant (begin of 2nd DVD).
Posted By: Riker Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 09:28 PM
Merci Eric,

that made me think of the fist LOTR and the dragon scene.. man did my sub take a beating on that one..hence why I want an EP500..one thing at a time LOL !

A plus tard, Stephane
Posted By: SRoode Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 09:41 PM
Transformers battle scene on the highway sounds great on my system.
Posted By: Bayne Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 10:00 PM
For DVD, the opening battle in Star Wars Episode III has some great surround sound moments.

For HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I second Transformers, but also Hitman and Kingdom of Heaven. With my EP500 I was feeling the bullet impacts in Hitman.
Posted By: RickF Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 11:16 PM
I've always regarded the new version of 'Flight Of The Phoenix' with Dennis Quaid as a very good movie with great sound .... the opening scene with the C-119 flying low over the desert and Johnny Cash singing 'I've Been Everywhere' is just totally cool to me, also whenever Dennis Quaid is choking the tires you can hear the metal crackling from the cooling of those big Wright R-3350 engines is probably the most realistic sound of the real McCoy I've ever heard in a movie scene.

Personally, I'd go with movies that you like and showcase them ... nothing like trying to show off the system with a movie that you really don't care for but feel somewhat obligated to watch because the effects are supposed to be top notch.

The scene in The Incredibles where they are getting chased through the jungle is awfully good.
Posted By: Riker Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/08/08 11:55 PM
Good Point Rick..

Just asking my audio brothers if anything stands out for them.

One of my favorite movie that also sounds really good is The Fifth Element, the Plava Laguna scene..

And Toy Story 1 and 2 also sounds pretty amazing, the opening of 2 especially, anything Pixar is amazing..
Posted By: myrison Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 12:43 AM
If you want the windows to absolutely rattle, play the "fishbowl" scene from Finding Nemo where Darla taps on the glass (chapter 25). It's amazing what LFE Disney packs into a harmless little movie about an orange fish. (seriously, this scene has unreal bass).

Also, there's a good list here that is based off user reviews and feedback.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 12:50 AM
Also in Finding Nemo, play the scene where Darla and Marlin are inside the whale heading for Sydney Australia, when the whale rumbles his tongue to warm them "it is time to let goooooo" and then grunts as the water drains and shoots out his spout. awesomeeeeee lfe

Also, the beginning train scene in Polar Express will rock your house off its foundation.
Posted By: CV Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 03:25 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The scene in The Incredibles where they are getting chased through the jungle is awfully good.

This is the scene I was going to suggest. I love to bring that scene up for myself every so often; I don't need to be demoing for anyone.
Posted By: rick240 Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 12:54 PM
Any scenes people can think of that would highlight sound level differences (light talking -> action -> dialog again)?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 01:13 PM
The helicopter crash in the first Matrix movie is pretty good for that.

talk talk whoop whoop smash the windows on a skyscraper talk talk ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 02:11 PM
I'd add the Tree crash, EARTHQUAKE, and final pipe organish filler at the end of "The Mist" to the LFE list. Takes you buy surprise.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 05:02 PM
The beginning sequence to LOTR, narration, then fight- scene which contains good LFE and surround effects, and then more narration.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 05:50 PM
Underworld is also a great movie with awesome surround effects.
Posted By: Riker Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 07:56 PM
Thanks Guys ! Much appreciated.

Lot's to choose from..

Riker
Posted By: jfdawson Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/09/08 08:32 PM
all of the cartoon type movies are great: CARS, Ice Age... Pearl Harbor is pretty awesome for sound effects. Saving Private Ryan isn't out on BluRay so it's good for sound. I also like all the Bourne movies: Ultimatum is great.

Here's a web site you might want to bookmark if you have BluRay:

http://www.hidefpreview.com/index.html

- JD
Posted By: Murph Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/10/08 11:12 AM
I hated to add it because it used to be mentioned so often in different places but "War of the Worlds", tripod rising from underground, is definitely one of a sub woofer's worst nightmares.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/10/08 02:34 PM
I'll second 'The Mist', I wasnt expeting the amount of LFE output coming from that 'sort of B class' movie.
BTW: the movie is very good.
Rick,

Here's one that meets this criteria ((light talking -> action -> dialog again)...or at least I think so...

The saloon scene from Open Range...

Also if you like rain, try the opening scene from Open Range.

Enjoy.

WhatFurrer
Heat,,,gunfire after they leave the bank....Master & Commander...nice sub workout
3:10 to Yuma in BluRay (the 7.1 PCM track) has some intence surround and surround back activity during the gun fight sceens.

The Kingdom in HD also has intence suround activity.
Posted By: Dundas Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/12/08 10:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: jfdawson

Here's a web site you might want to bookmark if you have BluRay:

Here is another one:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/
Posted By: myrison Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/13/08 02:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: WhatFurrer

Also if you like rain, try the opening scene from Open Range.

WhatFurrer demo'd this scene for me before I bought my system. It's definitely a nice one. The combination of the booming thunder and the great surround from the falling rain on all sides is very nice.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/13/08 02:06 PM
The gun fight scene in that movie is pretty awesome also.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/23/08 04:07 AM
If you want to get a movie that will work the sub, I just watched Cloverfield, it literally shook the whole house in certain scenes, not a bad flick either.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/23/08 09:29 AM
After watching The Incredibles with the kids and with the PB12, the scene where the rocket takes off with the robot for the city is very good LFE. It really shook the house.
Posted By: m60 Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/24/08 04:04 AM
For subs, go with U-571. can't go wrong! its like a sub workout
Posted By: Mojo Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/24/08 04:12 AM
If you just want to impress your friends and loved ones with bass, the CD to get is Plastikman: Closer. You can do some serious damage to your ear drums and your sub using that one!
Posted By: merchman Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/25/08 01:27 AM
Watching the Incredibles right now. Sure makes for some good surround and LFE. Not quite like watching on the TV alone, like the old days.
Just saw the BRD version of Live Free or Die Hard yesterday, and need to recommend that as a good demo of a HT system as well. Lots of LFE and transitions from dialog to action.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/28/08 02:36 PM
Did you feel the machine gun shots in the apartment scene? I felt them in the left butt cheek \:D .
Yeah! The apartment gun fight was great on the sound. Also the stuff later with the car chases and other wackiness. (like the bridge/jet scene)

I am now considering seat belts on my couch.
Posted By: myrison Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/28/08 05:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Did you feel the machine gun shots in the apartment scene? I felt them in the left butt cheek \:D .

Wait, that sounds a lot like "thump" and/or "snap"! ;\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 04/28/08 05:50 PM
Like I said, I have no problem with the 600 for movies \:\) .
Posted By: iammongo Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 05/02/08 05:15 PM
I just watched spider man 3 BD last night and was quite impressed with the scene where the sandman was created. Nice bass and a ton of transitions from the surround speakers.
That Sandman scene is sure is impressive on a good system!
Posted By: Murph Re: Top 5 Movies to showcase an HT system ? - 05/09/08 01:43 PM
And since it's Health and Safety week, I'll add that being a sandman would make you an excellent fire extinguisher!
© Axiom Message Boards