Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mbgonzomd The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 02:38 PM
Hey guys,
I have had a construction thread going at AVSforum for a couple of years. I am using axiom speakers and an HSU sub. Someone recently suggested I post some pics in this forum (I hope I am in the right place). So here you go.

Still waiting on seating (just order them today). I have been very happy with my axioms!
Posted By: Spoiler Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 02:41 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! What mains are you using?

You should post on the Gallery section as well!

Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 02:47 PM
Jealous, indeed. Very nice set-up.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 03:04 PM
Wow!
Posted By: Amie Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 03:30 PM
Wow - that's a gorgeous room! Amazing! Did you do the work yourself?
Posted By: vassillios Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 04:12 PM
Gonzo, that was me that told you to post here....it's about time. you should link to your construction thread, it's a long but good read.

this is the first time i've actually seen pics of the axioms. I love your room.
Posted By: SRoode Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 04:19 PM
Breathtaking theater! Wow! That's one of the nicest I've seen.
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 05:13 PM
Thanks guys!

Yes, I did everything myself. It has taken about 2 year (I am finishing other parts of the basement as well). The speakers I have are:
M3 V2 for the front R and L
VP100 V2 for the center
QS4 V2 for the surrounds

It is a 7.1 system. The room is rather smallish (18.5'x12.5') The front channels are behind the acoustically transparent screen. Here is a shot of the back of the room/rear surrounds:

Vassillios, thanks for pointing me in this direction. Here is the link to the construction thread if anyone is interested. (If if is poor etiquette to post another forum thread in this forum, let me know I will remove it.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719146
Posted By: korkster Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 07:46 PM
Gorgeous work!!! I'm about to take the plunge myself (I think). I've been cleaning out the basement in preparation and making a lot of measurements and drawings, and reading a lot, both here and over at AVS. To tell you the truth, it's a little intimidating when I see the beautiful work that people like you have done. But it's also inspiring. I'll be using my M80v2's, VP 150 and QS8's for my audio. I'm a little concerned because they're currently in a room that measures 16'x25' with a 14' vaulted ceiling, and the theater will be approximately 13'x20' but only a 7' ceiling (older house). And all the sound isolation and acoustics posts are confusing and making my head hurt. We'll see how it goes.

Great job though! I'm going to check out your construction thread. Somehow I missed it amongst all the others.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 08:11 PM
Really really nice!!!!!!! I really like the blue light in the soffits. How high of a ceiling did you have to work with? Also, some equipment closet shots would be interesting to see too.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 08:13 PM
Korkster,

I know the feeling of the head hurting regarding making your own theatre. For my next theatre (last theatre is in a sold house), I will going with Green Glue and double drywall all around the room. I figure keep it simple eh?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 08:19 PM
That just gives me goosebumps.

One of the most elegant and tasteful theatre installations I've ever seen. Just spectacular.

Your finish-carpentry skills are obviously pretty advanced.

Wow!
Posted By: dllewel Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 08:30 PM
Hi, That is an extremely nice room you've built. Very well done.
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 08:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: NDinUSA
Really really nice!!!!!!! I really like the blue light in the soffits. How high of a ceiling did you have to work with? Also, some equipment closet shots would be interesting to see too.

Thanks for the compliments. Ceiling is about 8 feet, about 7 feet under the soffit. You don't want to see the closet just yet. I am still waiting to buy my rack. Right now everything is sitting on an end table. when it is done, though it should look pretty cool. I have a frosted glass door, so when it is closed you should just get a hint of various colored lights shining through.
Posted By: korkster Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 09:00 PM
Everytime I think I know what direction I'm going to go in I read something that makes me re-think what I was going to do. At this rate I'll never get started.
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 09:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: korkster
Everytime I think I know what direction I'm going to go in I read something that makes me re-think what I was going to do. At this rate I'll never get started.

That is what I call Home Theater Inertia, I suffered from it for a long while. Eventually you just have to start building and accept the fact that you may not do everything just right. You can drive yourself crazy with the whole sound isolation and acoustic treatment thing (1/2" drywall or 5/8"? Is Green Glue worth it? Should I build boxes around my can lights? etc, etc, etc.). Sound isolation is not as hard as you would think, but it does take some reading. As far as room treatments, do what I did. Hire someone smarter to do the design for you. Best $200 I spent during the whole build.
Posted By: korkster Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 09:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Gonzo. I think I'm going to take your advice and reach out for someone ref. the acoustic engineering issues because all I'm doing at this point is treading water and getting nowhere. I'm also going to read through your whole construction thread as soon as I get the time. The first two pages have been very entertaining :-).
Posted By: RickF Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/09/08 10:14 PM
Whoa, that's an incredible job you have done, I really do like the look it. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard
Posted By: fredk Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/10/08 01:45 AM
The wood pannels are very elegant. Did you do them yourself?

Fred
Posted By: JohnK Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/10/08 01:50 AM
MB, welcome, and another wow!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/10/08 01:54 AM
Wow. Being an armchair critic, there's usually something I dislike about most home theaters. Some are too over-done, too garish, too something. This one is, as Goldilocks would say, just right. Fantastic job.
Posted By: Zarak Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/10/08 11:46 AM
We have a new place and I've been thinking about finishing the basement and doing one as well. I have the spot in the basement all picked out for it already. I guess I should start doing research about it, so I can have my inertia now before I am actually ready to start anyway. I was just watching the Flyers game last night in a buddy's basement. He doesn't have a dedicated room, but he does have a 100" screen down there with the FP and a keg on tap \:\)

Great job on this one. It looks sweet.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/10/08 02:48 PM
Gonzo, that is a spectacular looking theater. Great job! Thanks for sharing with us.
Posted By: Klugger Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/11/08 02:11 AM
WOW!!!! that looks amazing.Now my wife is nattering at me.....thats what we need for an HT.Good project,something to be very proud of.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/12/08 11:40 AM
Very Impressive. Great Job!
Posted By: vassillios Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/12/08 02:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: Klugger
WOW!!!! that looks amazing.Now my wife is nattering at me.....thats what we need for an HT.Good project,something to be very proud of.

at least she is open to the idea.
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/12/08 11:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: vassillios

at least she is open to the idea.

That is what I was thinking. Things could definitely be worse :).

I redid the shelf that the front channels sit on this weekend. Here is a shot:

Posted By: Wid Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/13/08 01:35 AM

Very nice indeed, great job.
Posted By: Hansang Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/13/08 02:53 AM
Damn..great thread over on AVS. It must have been a painful but rewarding journey. That story about the plywood/playsand on the road was pretty damn funny!! Great job
Posted By: lucv13 Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/13/08 05:01 AM
Gonzo, great job on the HT I'm sure you will get many years of pleasure from it
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/13/08 03:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hansang
Damn..great thread over on AVS. It must have been a painful but rewarding journey. That story about the plywood/playsand on the road was pretty damn funny!! Great job

I think I wet myself when it first happened. But once we got it all loaded up again, I was laughing as I drove away .
Posted By: JLunden Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/14/08 05:37 AM
That's insane! Well done, sir. I can't believe that's an 18x12 room. Mine's 20x12 and I doubt I could create something so nice.

What size is the screen?
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/14/08 02:31 PM
Thanks JLunden,
I think the pictures make the room look bigger than it really is. It will also probably look/feel much smaller once the chairs arrive. The screen in 105" 16x9 DIY SmX screen.
Posted By: JLunden Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/14/08 07:55 PM
Is SmX the type of material you used for the screen?
Posted By: mbgonzomd Re: The Wolf's Lair Theater - 05/14/08 11:53 PM
Yes, SmX is the material. It was developed by a guy who goes by the handle SandmanX, thus SmX. It is an acoustically transparent material that he sold to the DIY crowd at AVS forum for a while. He has since developed it into a complete screen company and no longer sells to the DIY crowd. He has a tremendous thread over there in which he documents the testing of all sorts of different material (Guilford of Maine fabric, Dazion, big name AT screen material, etc). Eventually he settled on a Pfiefer product (used to make window blinds I believe). He had them make some changes to their product to come up with the SmX material. It is a pretty cool story if you have a long time to read through his thread. His home theater is spectacular and has since been featured in Audiovideo Interiors Magazine, so you may of seen it before.

The website:
http://www.smxscreen.com/
© Axiom Message Boards