Axiom Home Page
I just received my Axioms last Friday (it's been a good weekend) but I am wondering if anyone knows a way to set the PS3 to output in 2-channel for music? I just don't like how it sounds when it is trying to output 7.1 or 5.1 with a 2-channel source. I don't have a 2-channel source, as I stream lots of music to my PS3 or X360, and I can't find a way for either of them to be set to 2-channel mode while playing music. Any thoughts?

Overall I am so happy with the speakers. I feel like I need to tweak the VP100, Maybe i just need to bump it on my receiver, it just doesn't quite keep up with the M22s. I love the detail of the M22s, but I now have upgraditis wanting external power, because I definitely have to turn them up on my 605 to get the detail I expect. However, while watching "I, Robot" yesterday I was blown away! I love the QS8's as well, I have a brother-in-law who is a staunch believer in not spending more than 50$ on surrounds, and I can now tell him that it is worth the price! They disappear behind me, and I can actually hear what the surrounds are supposed to be doing, not just "oh something is going on behind me because there's something coming out of the speakers.
I am extremely happy with my purchase!
I may be wrong. Can you use your AVR to control the output mode (e.g. 7 ch stereo, 2 ch stereo, Pro Logic ... etc.?)
Surely it's outputting over optical, right? Your receiver would be doing the processing, not the PS3.
It's outputting over HDMI. When I try to change surround settings it only lets me choose PCM multichannel or PCM Direct. it will only let me to Pro Logic II (and many more settings) when receiving something frmo a 2 channel source. When I scroll through the "display" button on the receiver the PS3 Always says 7.1 Multi PCM except when a movie has a different soundtrack (usually). The Xbox always says 5.1 Dolby.

There, that's closer to what my mind is thinking
Now, is that on the receiver that it's forcing PLII?
Dang it I didn't finish my thought...let me edit that up there
Ah. That's what's happening. The game boxes are always outputting in multichannel, whether there's anything on those channels or not. Then the receiver is assuming you want it expanded to surround sound.

Well, ain't that great, I figured out what's happening, but I haven't got a clue how to fix it.
haha. That is what i figured...i'd probably have to go into the console settings and change it all to stereo in order to get it to do that right. I've just never loved the sounds it makes when in that mode, and with these speakers, even less. it just sounds anemic.
No, I think the problem is probably the receiver. Can you switch that to just multichannel instead of multichannel+DPLII?
Yeah i actually think i may have misspoke. I can't ever get it to kick in PLII except with 2 channel output. It stays locked into either multichannel or direct with my PS3.

aw you changed your sig! The brain episode was what got me into Futurama.
And multichannel doesn't output to only 2 channels? I'm totally barking up the wrong tree then.

Now you can get into the Muppets!
Maybe I'll have to investigate into it more and figure out the difference between "PCM direct" and "PCM multichannel".
I would guess that direct would be the one you would want, but at this point I'm doing just that--guessing.
Yep - the receiver controls the output.
© Axiom Message Boards