Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 07:01 PM
Article here:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/denon_shows_off_10_new_receivers/

Looks like the "best" model listed so far is the 2809. Wonder what the replacements for the 3808 and up will be like?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 07:10 PM
Sweet!

I predict an epidemic of upgraditis.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 08:01 PM
10 new receivers, and they haven't hit midline yet? That's just ridiculous.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 09:21 PM
I only counted 9... Did I miss something?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 09:26 PM
hmmm... only counted nine as well.

Maybe the 10th one is a secret!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/21/08 09:36 PM
Awful rich for my blood. Bet they all still outclass my poor old HK 525.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 12:38 AM
Nine new AVRs under $1200???? Talk about muddying the waters. Geesh
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 01:43 AM
Tell me about it. Sometimes too much choice (from one brand) is a bad thing.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 02:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Tell me about it. Sometimes too much choice (from one brand) is a bad thing.

I agree.

I'm guessing that the differences between each new model are probably so small you have to wonder why they bother. An extra component plug for model A, one extra hdmi plug for model B..., 10 extra watts with model C...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 02:35 AM
Which will just make buying them more confusing, potentially driving people to a different brand. I know that's my typical reaction when posed with too many choices.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 02:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Which will just make buying them more confusing, potentially driving people to a different brand. I know that's my typical reaction when posed with too many choices.

I remember making up spreadsheets when i first started looking at receivers, trying to make sense of all the specs on the same playing field.
That alone was crazy, so i narrowed it down to "how much do i want to pay" and eliminated a bunch with that criterium alone.
But 10 models from one brand?
Geezuz.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 02:38 AM
Yeah, I didn't know much when I was buying, so I didn't have too many choices. I think the deciding factor was 192/24 something or other on all 7 channels.

A feature that, to the best of my knowledge, I have never used.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 03:02 AM
But you sleep well at night knowing it's there, right? ;\) By the time that capability is "necessary", you'll have upgraded to something else, likely. That new TV you'll get in 2010 won't work with anything but SHDMI.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 04:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
That new TV you'll get in 2010 won't work with anything but SHDMI.

*stunned silence

Dammit, you're right. Just when I get the feeling of comfort that I'll be set for a while in terms of equipment, you have to brutally shake me awake. I fart in your general direction. Due North, if I calculate correctly.
Posted By: doormat Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 04:29 AM
You realize, of course, that there are really only 5 new Rx. Three digits for the big box stores, 4 digits for the specialty shops.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 12:01 PM
Thats what they claim, but even best buy sells the 4 digit models.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 04:06 PM
BB sells the 4 digit ones? I have never seen them there, at least up here, strictly the 3 digit versions which are priced right between the CI 4 digit ones.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 04:11 PM
The BBs that have Magnolia Home Theater sections do.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 04:21 PM
Yeah, One here has the Magnolia Home theater section. I was looking around and saw the 3808 for sale for $1599+ 9% sales tax.
No thanks!

I don't think the other BB here has a Magnolia home theater.. wonder if they only carry the 3 digit models then.

Posted By: Murph Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 06:07 PM
I wish they would start selling thier line up out of Wicker Emporium. My wife will buy anything from that place and I bet she would come home with a brand new AVR by accident.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 06:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Looks like the "best" model listed so far is the 2809. Wonder what the replacements for the 3808 and up will be like?

More important to me is when a 3808 replacement will be, as I was about to buy one.

The new models don't show up on their web site yet.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 06:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I've wondered how Dell has succeeded with just that approach. Mind you, I regard all their puters as crap, but they have a zillion product lines and for someone who insists on subjecting themselves to MS Windows, choosing among them is maddening. They describe them as for "business" or "home" etc without saying what that really means.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 07:40 PM
That's actually the example I was thinking of...
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 08:19 PM

Posted By: medic8r Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/22/08 08:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I wish they would start selling their line up out of Wicker Emporium. My wife will buy anything from that place and I bet she would come home with a brand new AVR by accident.

Next time she goes there, take an AVR catalog with you and, when she's not looking, place it in an official-looking location. Then say, "Look, hon', they're now an official distributor for _____!"
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Denon reveals 10 new receivers - 05/23/08 08:33 PM
If audio gear were available in a pink finish with Hello Kitty on the knobs, I could easily float Epic 80 600x4 and a rack of monoblocks past mine.
© Axiom Message Boards