Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zak FMS QS Stands for QS8's? A few questions... - 05/28/08 01:24 AM
I'm currently running a 5.1 system with M60's a VP150 and an EP500 up front with QS8's on the rear wall.

I would like to go 7.1 and place two more QS8's on each side of the couch but unfortunately I have nothing to mount them to.
I think I'm going to use a pair of the FMS QS stands but before purchasing these I have a few questions:

1.) How stable are these stands with the QS8 mounted on top?

2.) Has anyone used the Axiom rubber balls and if so how many boxes of rubber balls would I need to fill a pair of these stands?

3.) Has anyone used an alternate source for filling the stand pillars?

Thanks,
Zak
Zak,

I have the stands, as I too can't hang my QS8's for now. I find them to be just fine. I do have mine up against the side walls of my place, and so they don't see any action as far as people bumping them, but I have never felt like they were unstable. I think if you anticipated that at all the rubber balls would probably help greatly to stabilize them and keep them from rocking. I just reached over and wobbled one, and with a small amount of force they wobble, but I don't think that they would go down too easily. The speakers on top of them however are completely stable with the stand, I don't have ANY worries of them falling off ever.
Posted By: Zak Re: FMS QS Stands for QS8's? A few questions... - 05/28/08 03:27 AM
Thanks Steve!
No prob! they sit a little lower than I wish, they are about exactly ear level with me on my couch, but I can't imagine they could get much taller without sacrificing some stability. But they do the job just fine. I'm sure with a relatively small amount of weight right on the bottom it would really improve the stability. I totally forgot about those Axiom weights, I may invest in some myself!
Hi Zak,

I had one of mine take a tumble when I was first getting them set up and hadn’t put the spikes on yet. I highly recommend the spikes if using them on carpet. The pucks are ok for tile, wood etc…Also, if not against the wall I would invest in the weights just to be safe.

On a positive note the speaker survived the fall with only a minor scuff one grill no real damage.

Dean
I think the Axiom rubber-coated shot runs $79 for enough to fill 16" of tube. Many people seem to use plain sand successfully. I might fill the posts only halfway to keep the center of gravity low.
Yup, why pay for weight when it occurs naturally around you. I guess if you live in a large center it might be easier than trying to get sand but I live near the shore so I use it for a lot of things.

For city folk, aquarium pebbles might be something you could pick up locally and not have to wait for delivery.
© Axiom Message Boards