Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 02:25 PM
My parents are looking for a 5.1 system to go with their new 55" TV. My mother does not want big speakers, which has my dad looking at a lot of HTIB configs.

Does anyone know of a good sounding system that uses small speakers? I'd love to see them get Axiom's, but I don't think it is going to fly.

He's looking at Bose at this point, which I steered him away from, but the fact that he even looked shows some guidance is needed here.

I told him we really just need to go and listen, but they are a bit over an hour away and we haven't had a chance to do that yet.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 02:51 PM
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vt-12.html

The Ventriloquist VT-12 is probably what they are looking for..
Posted By: pmbuko Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 03:50 PM
If you can't swing the Axioms, have a look at the Hsu Ventriloquist system. They make some compromises, but I have heard the system and it's beyond decent.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said. I started my post first, but I had to get some work done before I finished it. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 03:56 PM
You could put together a system with some Kef or ORB speakers, my brother-in-law has some Energy Take 5's and they sound good too.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 04:59 PM
I know someone who bought some KEF speakers and he seems to like them.

Try and talk your parents into getting a larger sub tho.
Posted By: Zarak Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 06:00 PM
Sub sold separately it appears. I'm sure a STF-2 would be plenty of sub to go with these. They don't mind if the sub is a bit bigger, since it can be hidden in the corner.
Posted By: Terry55 Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 06:09 PM
I like the energy RC-Mini Series, they are the sweet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 06:32 PM
The STF-2 is not just a bit bigger; that's a pretty sizeable box. Sez someone who got an EP350...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 09:07 PM
I have never heard these but just saw them at audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/emp-eca-4/

seemed to get pretty good reviews

Again, I would aim for a larger sub then what is shown with this system.

And according to audioholics EMP is extending 50% off their MSRP for a limited time.

Without every hearing these things I can't say if it is a good deal or not... worth at least reading into tho IMO
Posted By: Wid Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/18/08 09:11 PM

I too recommend the Hsu system. For their size and cost they are hard to beat.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 02:26 AM
I'd throw in a vote for the Energy Take system. Either the 'Classic' or the new Take series.

Energy Take 5 Classic

I still have a set of original Take 5's floating around. They are fantastic little speakers. They can't compete with the full-range lushness of bigger speakers, but compared to other itty-bitty speaker setups that I've heard, they're fantastic.

They make an even smaller set, the Act line. Something to check out, anyway.

And they're Canadian. We all know how good Canadians are at making good speakers.
Posted By: Zarak Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 02:27 AM
I'll start by pointing them to the STF-2 (I have the VTF-2 and like it) and back them down to a STF-1 if the 2 is too big for them.

I like the idea of the HSU system. Seems to get good reviews, others on here have heard and liked it. We'll see if they go for it.

They had wires prerun in their ceiling for the surrounds (it was new construction). I'm not sure if there will be an easy way to mount the surrounds to the ceiling in an unobtrusive fashion and take advantage of the prerun wires.
Posted By: JohnK Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 02:38 AM
Jason, I'd still suggest M2s plus QS4s and a small sub for a small system. If something more like Bose cube size is absolutely necessary, I'd also go along with the Hsu Ventriloquist idea, probably with their STF-1 sub.
Posted By: Nick B Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 02:33 PM
I think that RBH changed their name to EMP. RBH has some very good speakers just like axiom. I've been drooling over the T1 speakers for quite some time now.

- Nick
Posted By: zhimbo Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
I think that RBH changed their name to EMP. RBH has some very good speakers just like axiom. I've been drooling over the T1 speakers for quite some time now.

- Nick

EMP is the internet/mail order version of RBH. The versions of the speakers are slightly different (primarily cosmetics). The RBH brand is saved for the brick-and-morter, slightly nicer versions.
Posted By: FireGuy Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/19/08 10:46 PM
Believe it or not the best decision they can make is to not buy the Bose...for sure. SVS has some outstanding speaker packages which includes their well known subs. My son was in the same position and I tried to steer him toward SVS. He decided on BIC though for his apartment.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/20/08 03:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: R DeVries
Believe it or not the best decision they can make is to not buy the Bose...for sure. SVS has some outstanding speaker packages which includes their well known subs. My son was in the same position and I tried to steer him toward SVS. He decided on BIC though for his apartment.

We just had another couple over this evening; i think they were the 7th or 8th crew of people in 6 years to audition our setup.
They had enough air miles to 'buy' a Bose system free but still wanted to hear it first so they ventured into a Future Shop store a few weeks ago.

Long story short, they were at our place tonight for 3 hours listening to alternate ideas.
Bose is no longer on the radar, not even remotely.
Axioms are likely their next purchase.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/20/08 03:35 AM
Another Bose bites the dust.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/21/08 02:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Another Bose bites the dust.

They were actually telling me that in the audition over at Future Shop, the Bose speakers were not hooked up to a receiver. When asked, the salesman said that Bose had yet to send them the special receiver to drive them and that they were not to use the speakers with any other receiver.
So the guy hooked it up to a Sony anyway.
The couple thought the speakers sounded horrible and their presence reference system is a Teak $400 boom box of sorts.

Nice.
Posted By: Nick B Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/21/08 02:42 PM
I second (or third or fourth) that Bose is not the way to go. Before I had my Axioms I had the Bose acoustimass cube system and the difference is night and day. I can't believe that people spend $1200 to $1500 (or whatever they go for now) on Bose when you could put together an Axiom set of speakers that blows them away for about the same price. It is all of the marketing that Bose does that brainwashes people to buy their speakers even though they sound terrible.

- Nick
Posted By: Zarak Re: small good quality speakers? - 06/21/08 08:58 PM
Don't worry...Bose is not even a consideration.

My dad hates Villanova, and always told me I could go to any college other than that one.

We'll, if he wants help setting up the speakers, he can buy any brand other than Bose.
© Axiom Message Boards