Axiom Home Page
Posted By: patwho Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 08:44 PM
Hello, I recieved my speaker system about a month ago.
2 M80'S
2 QS8
1 CENTER
1 350 EPV3
I need to know how to calibrate them. I got a digital sound level from radio shack.I am a neebie to the world of HT.

Thanks Pat
Posted By: jakewash Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 08:55 PM
What receiver are you using?

If it has a pink noise generator, you turn on the pink noise and adjust each speaker level to read the same on the meter. Ideally the meter is on a tripod and positioned in your favorite seating postion about ear high. I usually stick the meter into the cushions of the couch, as I do not have a tripod.

The meter should be set to 'C' weighting and slow speed.
Posted By: patwho Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 09:07 PM
I'm using a onkyo 705. Thanks
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 09:18 PM
I always wondered, should you point the meter to the speaker that is generating the tone?

Or do you just point it forward even when you are calibrating the surrounds?

It seems to me that pointing the meter at the surrounds would be more like a real ear facing to the side.
Posted By: dewd Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 09:22 PM
Use the included MIC to run Audyssey MultEQ XT. This will set the trims to make your speakers close to 75db and will do wonders for your overall sound. After running Audyssey, you should manually set your crossovers if the Onkyo sets any to FULL.

The included test tones are -30db. This means your meter should read 75db when using the tones.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 10:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I always wondered, should you point the meter to the speaker that is generating the tone?

I always leave the meter pointing forward. You could always compare a test tone from a surround with the meter pointing forward and then again with it pointing direct and see if it really makes much difference.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/23/08 11:55 PM
I leave it pointing up, on a tripod on the couch in the center position (which almost never gets used). But I'm weird.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 12:02 AM
SPL should be pointed straight up (towards the ceiling)
Posted By: arcticair Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 12:33 AM
My Yamaha RXV 3800 comes with a SPL. Is it best to use the one Yamaha supplies or should i use a disconnected one like your all talking about?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 01:55 AM
Pat, the auto-calibration system on your 705 is excellent and gives results that should be at least as accurate with respect to calibrating sound levels as you could accomplish by setting the levels manually(taking into account the added factor of human error)with the aid of the SPL meter. Rather unrealistic comments are sometimes read concerning checking the auto-set levels with an SPL meter to see how far the auto setting was "off", when in fact it's the user who's off.

The digital RS meter(which I also use)is very useful for things such as checking average and maximum sound levels when playing various sound sources, but isn't essential for the calibration process if the receiver can do the job.
Posted By: armaraas Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 03:01 AM
I believe the instructions with my receiver was to point it straight up in the air (if it wasn't there, I know I read it somewhere...).

However, the directions that came with my meter say to point it at the source of the sound when at all possible.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 03:30 AM
The radio shack meters are omni directional, your supposed to point them straight up. I usually just hold mine in my hand at ear level.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 12:53 PM
interesting... I notice about a 1 db difference if I point it straight at my surrounds vs straight forward...

Will see if pointing it up has an impact
Posted By: RickF Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 02:40 PM
I've always calibrated with the Radio Shack SPL meter mounted on a tripod and pointed directly towards the ceiling from the listening position but I've found a couple of sources stating that the SPL meter should be pointed 45 degrees above the center channel speaker or pointed at the angle where the wall and the ceiling meet above the center channel speaker. I'll have to give that notion a shot.

Source 1

Source 2

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 03:03 PM
why a tripod? shouldn't you be sitting in the seat holding the meter, since you will be sitting there when listening/watching?

Hey, you never know how much your shoulder getting in the way might impact the soundwaves yah know ;\)

Posted By: RickF Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 03:12 PM
The tripod frees yourself up to be able to adjust settings or to do other task during the calibration process without disturbing the location of the meter.

Also ... how'n the heck else are you going to be able to go to the fridge, grab a beer and continue with the calibration process if you have the SPL meter in your hand the entire time?
Posted By: onn Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 03:39 PM
Isn't the fridge supposed to be within reaching distance?
Posted By: dllewel Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 07:44 PM
Yes, but if the meter is still in one hand then you can only grab one drink. \:\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/24/08 10:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: dllewel
Yes, but if the meter is still in one hand then you can only grab one drink. \:\)

Truly spoken from an experienced audio calibrator.

\:\)
Posted By: Hansang Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 12:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
why a tripod? shouldn't you be sitting in the seat holding the meter, since you will be sitting there when listening/watching?

Hey, you never know how much your shoulder getting in the way might impact the soundwaves yah know ;\)

If you hold the SPL, you can introduce unwanted sound (moving around etc)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 01:59 AM
Yeah, mainly because I can't sit there and use the remote and be sure I'm holding the remote at the same level/in the same place.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 02:11 PM
I point my SPL towards the ceiling.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 03:07 PM
So does CV, but only when he listens to Regina Spektor.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 03:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
So does CV, but only when he listens to Regina Spektor.

I bet he does a lot of calibrating.
Posted By: CV Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 04:51 PM
Ha ha. Come on now. I'll calibrate to anything with a voice.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 05:10 PM
Ah, to be young again, when all that I had to worry about was who I'd be calibrating tonight ...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 05:17 PM
Apparently, when I was younger (just able to walk) I was into tuning. My parents said they were at a pool party once. I managed to get away from my mom, found a lady wearing a bikini on a chaise lounge, crawled up in her lap, and tried in earnest to get some reception out of her. She must have had nice tuning knobs.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 05:46 PM
Yeah, I found out the hard way that only works when you're a kid.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 05:49 PM
Being a perv when you are young is acceptable. Ah, those were the days. . .
Posted By: CV Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 06:09 PM
Hey, get old enough and it's tolerated again.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 06:41 PM
I can't wait!
Posted By: RickF Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 07:00 PM
I wouldn't push the issue Sean, you may find that old age ain't all *that* much fun.

\:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 07:14 PM
I hear ya. . .so does my hairline. . . *sigh*
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 07:50 PM
So you're saying your avatar is a tad inaccurate, then, huh?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 07:56 PM
No, my hair doesn't seem to be quite as full up front anymore. \:\( Or, I've just lost that youthful bounce to my bangs.

Hopefully it stays right where it is and just turns grey. That effect is already happening above my ears. At least it'll help me look more distinguished.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 08:06 PM
Pretty soon you'll be telling the Starbucks barrista, "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 08:13 PM
LOL! I like Earl Grey and it has oil of bergamot in it. I always say "oil of bergamot" in my best snooty English accent. Try it, you'll like it.

You have to stretch out the "er" part though--Oil of berrrrrgamot.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 09:24 PM
 Quote:
I've just lost that youthful bounce to my bangs

That's what she said.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Calibrate speakers - 06/25/08 09:29 PM
She bangs!

Not as bouncily as when she was younger, but, hey, she moves, she moves ...
© Axiom Message Boards