Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ghis Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 01:28 AM
Hi there,

I just bought a 40 inches Samsung LN40A550 and the Samsung upscaling DVD (DVD 1080P8). There connected with an HDMI cable but when i'm reading a DVD, every 5 minutes, my TV is losing the signal for about a second or so. I've checked my DVD manuel and it seem like when the DVD is upscaling the images, the TV as some problem getting the infos. I hope you understand what my problem is, and if so, what's the solution? In the meantime, i've connected them with component cable. The problem is solve but the resolution went down a notch.

Ghislain
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 01:37 AM
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Could be some buffer problem in the DVD Player.
Posted By: Ghis Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 02:31 AM
What do you mean by '' a different HDMI cable'' Another brand? Presently, i was using a Rocketfish RF-G1138. About the buffering problem in the DVD, is there a way to fix that?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 02:37 AM
As in a different one. It could be that that cable is defective, although it sounds more like a handshake problem to me. Try a different input as well on the TV if it has multiples. Do you have any other HDMI devices you can test it with?
Posted By: grunt Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 06:42 AM
This may not be the same problem but it sounds like it could be related.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A550-40-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B001418W2C

Originally Posted By: Joe

I purchased the Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV on July 14, 2008. It's my 4th big screen HDTV purchase but my first 1080p box. Agree with other reviews in that it has an absolute beautiful picture at a very good price. There are many features I love about this TV, but here's the problem....

I purchased a Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player with an HDMI (version 1.3) cable. When i watch a DVD, i get a 'searching for signal' message that appears on the screen for about 5 seconds. This happens once every minute or two! I went into full troubleshooting mode by replacing the cable, the DVD player, and everything else i could think of. I tried the DVD player and HDMI cable with my other HDTV sets and it worked great. After calling Samsung technical support and getting to their level 2 support in New Jersey, they acknowledged there is a problem with the HDMI connection with the TV but they do not have a firmware fix for it yet. They suggested i wait for the firmware fix (release date unknown), or return the TV and try another one. I opted to exchange the TV for the same model. I received it today and (unfortunately) it has the same problem. I will now return the TV to Amazon, get a refund, and purchase a different model.

Bottom line, if you don't use or need the HDMI connection, you should be fine with this set. However, if you plan to use HDMI I'd look to a different model until this is fixed.

Update on July 28 - After further troubleshooting, the HDMI problem is with the combination of using a Samsung LN40A550 40" 1080p LCD HDTV with the Samsung 1080P8 upconverting DVD player. Together, they do not work. Separately, the upconverting DVD player works perfectly with other TVs, and the Samsung LN40A550 works fine with another upconverting DVD. I purchased the same brand so i would eliminate this exact problem! Who would think that Samsung has not tested their own product compatibility before they go out the door? Exremely poor quality control - my guess is they have a problem with their 'anynet' software feature, but it still blanks-out with 'anynet' turned off. Purchase the Sony upconverting DVD player with this TV and you'll be OK. However, now I personally don't trust Samsung.

The comments for this review also talk about this being a known problem with some but not all of this model. And one even seems to describe the exact problem you are having. I suggest you call Samsung and see if they have a firmware update yet or any other suggestions that might help.

Dean
Posted By: myrison Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 12:30 PM
Dean - looks like you earn many good karma points for identifying the problem before Ghis goes crazy replacing one piece at a time of his system and still ending up with the same problem.

If the above is true, someone in Samsung's Quality Control team group needs to be shown the door... Unbelievable.

On a general note - why is HDMI so hard to get right? It's been around for quite some time now and still plagues many manufacturers and devices. Buying any newly-released HDMI device that hasn't been tested by the masses seems to still be very risky business. It seems to me like we should be past that point given the age of the technology.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 03:41 PM
HDMI is a really crappy standard, basically. Poorly designed connectors, mandated copy protection (this causes most of the problems) with ever changing specifications, and poorly chosen cable design. Here's an Audioholics article about it, but not the rant one I was looking for.
Posted By: grunt Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 04:23 PM
It this the one you were looking for:

Anything But HDMI Please

I’ve had it in my favorites since I read it.

Originally Posted By: myrison

If the above is true, someone in Samsung's Quality Control team group needs to be shown the door... Unbelievable.

I hope it’s a simple fix for him whatever it is.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 04:45 PM
Hmm.. nope, that's not it! It was something about how the cable was just poorly designed--should have been coax.
This one! which was linked in the article you posted.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/28/08 06:05 PM
All I know is that HDMI (well, most are probably as a result of HDCP) sucks big rocks. I hate it. I put my extended family's setup with component only if at all possible.
Posted By: Ghis Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/29/08 12:02 AM
Thank's a lot Dean,

Your comment is right on the money!!!

Thank's again for the infos
Posted By: Murph Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/29/08 12:11 PM
Looks like you nailed it. However, for other instances, swapping out to another brand of cable can be useful. I tried to set up my PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD on a HDMI Switch Box and it lost signal about every 30 to 60 seconds. Problem turned out to be the particular HDMI cables I bought for the switch box outs combined with the switchbox.

When used directly, the cables worked fine. When using different cables, the switchbox worked fine. Combine them and no-go.
Posted By: grunt Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/29/08 11:29 PM
I agree that the cables and other suggestions given above would have been my first thoughts. I recognized his model number as one I’ve been looking at while shopping for my father.

I also had HDMI switch issues with one bought locally. Worked fine except it wouldn't pass the signal from my Xbox. Returned it and ordered one for 1/3 the cost from Monoprice which works great.

What annoys me most about the cables is the way they fall out so easily whenever I move anything.
Posted By: Murph Re: Problem with my Samsung - 09/30/08 05:50 PM
I have one port that is eternally loose on my switch. If you can see inside to see if where it's safe, drill and tap a small hole near the port. I then tightened a wire-tie (zip cord) around the hdmi cord and put a screw through the length of it into the switch to secure it into place.

A little cleaner looking than wrapping the wire tie right around the box but that is another option.
© Axiom Message Boards