Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Listener to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 01:38 PM
So the other night I almost ordered the Architectural Onwall speakers. The w22s with the w150 , qs8s and ep350. The reason I decided to get the onwalls is because I don't think I have the space for the towers. ... But.. But I just can't get the m80s out of my head. Also since we're planning on having some kids I figured with the onwalls there is less chance of the speakers getting damaged.

Anyways here is my question.

I read that the towers should have about 2 feet of space around them. If I did get the towers they would have to be a few inches from the wall behind them. Also they would be only about 56" away from each other. Does anyone have them setup this way? Would you guys advise against this? I already have the holes cut for the architectural speakers, but I could always close them up.

My wife is going to kill me for changing my mind again. But I'm worried I might be dissapointed by the on walls. They appear to be a great solution for my problem, but they aren't towers.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 02:03 PM
The m80's have two ports on the back so they need some breathing room at the back. I have mine placed about 9" from the rear walls, I think the minimum would be about 6".

56" is pretty close together, but it all depends on how far away you sit from the speakers. Ideally you want to form an equilateral triangle where the distance from the main listening position to each front speaker is equal to the distance between the speakers themselves. in your case you would need to be about 56" from each speaker, or aprox. 4.1 feet from the TV.

I have my m80's about 11.2 feet apart and I sit about 11.2 feet from each one.

I am sure that someone with the m80's closer together can chime in and tell you what they think
Posted By: SirQuack Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 02:09 PM
I agree with David. ;\) I think Axiom will be coming out with a M80 version for their new T-series on walls at some point.
Posted By: Listener Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 02:11 PM
huh? Can you elaborate? Do you mean on wall m80s? Is that a joke. Because that would be awesome.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 02:31 PM
They say they're doing in wall M80s (like the T2s, not the W2s). Don't know how soon they're coming out, but that's what they say...
Posted By: fredk Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 04:36 PM
 Quote:
Also they would be only about 56" away from each other

Did you ask one of the audio experts at Axiom about this? They would probably know better than us as few would put their speakers that close together. I would ask them and go with their recommondation.

I wonder if the trade up program applies to on/inwall speakers as well. You could always start out with the w22 and have the option to trade up to the T80 later if you still feel the need to.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 04:39 PM
It would appear that they are eligible. They seem to be a pretty good trade up value, since you'd be pretty much assured of using the full dollar amount required to get the maximum discount.
Posted By: Listener Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 05:10 PM
That's true. I certainly count go this route. I wonder if they will also be building a w80. I would think that the on/in walls have an advantage over the purely in wall speakers because of larger cabinets.
Posted By: jakewash Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 05:24 PM
My M80s are only 70" apart, a few inches from the wall and they sound great to me.
Posted By: myrison Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 06:59 PM
What is the formula Axiom uses to determine how much you must spend to get the max value for your trade in? i.e. is it some fixed percentage more than the trade-in value, or how does it work?

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: Ken.C Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 07:08 PM
That's a good question. I don't think they've ever explained that.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 07:11 PM
If I recall the formula is Pi*r^2

I may have that mixed up with something else though... not sure.
Posted By: dsbad Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 08:27 PM
I have my M80's about 9 inches from the back wall and about 60 inches from each other and they just sound great.

I could have done fine with M60s and even M22s for my lsitening area of abut 2000 sq feet.

But I know I would have second guessed myself all the time. If you can afford them go with M80s. They sound great and the clarity and musicality at low volumes is amazing.

also they are very sturdy on my hardwood floors, so would be safe from toppling over.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 11:01 PM
I think I'd wait for the on wall M80s, I believe I saw them briefly during one of my visits to Axiom this summer. I could be wrong but I seem to think that's what I was looking at before they put the bag over my head and dragged me out of the room.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 09/29/08 11:09 PM
I assume you mean a listening area of 2000 cf not sf? right?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/01/08 05:18 AM
Get the bloody M80s!!! Who cares about too much speaker. I went through my first Axiom experience with M22s (which are a FINE speaker for the money), I am now on my way to Real wood M80s. Don't be caught in the web of upgraditus, get the best you REALLY want on the inside.

Even when I was deciding on my M80s, I almost compromised quite a few times getting HG Cherry instead of Real wood Rosewood HG because of the cost. In the end it was my wife (I know!!) who convinced me to go with what my heart really wants (which is the HG Rosewood). Instead of getting a 5.1 system, I can only afford M80s right now, but I will just continue to piece my system together and sooner or later I will have my dream system in HG Rosewood.

The point is, don't compromise, get what you really want to get, if you can't afford the whole 5.1, then do it little by little (like most of us on this board).

just my 2 cents!

-Hutz
Posted By: DaveG Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/01/08 11:49 AM
If you really want the M80's go for it you will regret not doing so.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/01/08 02:55 PM
I agree if you want the M80's get them, otherwise you will end up like many of us who bought the N60's loved them, but still upgraded to the M80's.
Posted By: Listener Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/02/08 01:03 PM
Thanks guys. My limitations here aren't so much about $ as much as space. It appears that I could only have about 3" on each side of the tower and about 7" behind it. Also the furthest I could have them from each other is about 56". Will the fact that I can only have 3" clearance on the sides and 7" in the back advrsely affect the sound? I'm guessing it will, but how bad will it be?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/02/08 01:45 PM
That might be a bit tight. Bass could become a problem. I recommend you send the question to Axiom's experts (with those measurements). They might be able to guide you better.
Posted By: jakewash Re: to m80 or not to m80 - 10/02/08 07:09 PM
The bass will be more pronounced(7" behind is more than I have) and the side reflections( I have one speaker with 3-4" and the other is more than 12") may become a problem. On the plus side if you are going to get a new avr with an autoEQ like Audyssey, it will take into account the room issues and EQ the system for the best possible sound. I have recently re-run Audyssey with my system and I am very surprised at the difference for the better. The system now sounds much more open and free.
© Axiom Message Boards