Axiom Home Page
Posted By: patwho Hum - 09/30/08 07:30 PM
Hello, I have a hum some where in my system. I know that the hum is not from the Direct tv line. I took the feed off and the hum is still there.I took the sub woofer line off and the noise is no longer there. How do i fix the problem? thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hum - 09/30/08 07:32 PM
Which subwoofer do you have? If it's an EP500 or 600, there's a ground screw on the back you could try adjusting. In my case, I use a cheater plug on my EP350 to remove the ground so that there's not a ground loop between that and my receiver.
Posted By: patwho Re: Hum - 09/30/08 07:33 PM
Ihave the 350 v3 thanks
Posted By: alan Re: Hum - 10/01/08 07:13 PM
Hi patwho,

Besides kcarlile's good suggestions, you might try plugging your EP350 into the same electrical circuit as the other components, or, if it's already in the same circuit, try a different electrical circuit than your AV receiver, video display, etc. That's how I got rid of a hum/ground loop with my own EP500.

You'll also find an article of mine on getting rid of hum in the Axiom Article archives.

Regards,
Posted By: patwho Re: Hum - 10/12/08 04:32 PM
thanka the cheater plug fixed the problem!!!!!!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Hum - 10/12/08 07:30 PM
Hello patwho,

Your system is suffering from a very common problem caused by a ground loop in your system. Here is the excellent article that Alan Lofft was talking about. http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_eliminate_hum.html My system suffered from a buzz issue when I added my first subwoofer and it was caused by a component cable between my receiver and t.v. The cheater plug you are using will work just great but if you do not feel comfortable using it for a permanent solution, read the above link, Mr. Lofft gives excellent advice on how to find the ground loop problem in your system.

Good luck,

Dr. House
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Hum - 10/13/08 02:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
The cheater plug you are using will work just great but if you do not feel comfortable using it for a permanent solution,

Indeed.
It is a solution but defeats the purpose of having a ground plug.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Hum - 10/13/08 03:09 PM
I had a hum and the axiom ground isolator fixed the problem.
© Axiom Message Boards