Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 04:57 PM
Hey guys,

my speakers shipped from Axiom, they are now at US Customs, being that I am a canadian, I have no Tax number or SSN. Before I swindle a friend or relative into filling out a customs form for me, will they be charged taxes or anything? To all you US axiom owners, did you get charged duties when getting your speakers from Canada?

If I don't get them their information within 5 days, the will send the speakers back!!! EEP!
I didn't get no duties on my speakers. I'm not sure, but I don't think there are duties on stuff coming into the U.S.
Posted By: fredk Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:01 PM
There are no duties if they are manufactured in Canada, unless they are classified as softwood lumber that is. ;\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:07 PM
nope, just paid the price listed on axiom's website and that is all
Posted By: Ken.C Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:07 PM
What's the value on the shipment? I don't think they should be asking you for anything. But my shipments have all been under $1000 lately.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:17 PM
$2400 USD, Do any of you volunteer to fill out a form for me? hehehe (Am just kidding, partially)
Posted By: Haoleb Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:18 PM
Am I missing something here, You place your order, you wait (while refreshing the tracking number about 14 billion times no doubt) and you get your speakers.

Simple as that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:21 PM
Clearly he's received a form from customs instructing him to fill out something or other. I got a phone call about something similar when I shipped some artwork from Italy where they mistakenly said the value was $20K rather than $200. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:22 PM
Its a US Customs form, since I have no SSN or Tax number, I need a someone with a SSN or Tax # to vouch for my order, or they send the stuff back. I have friends & relatives that can possibly do this for me, just trying to get in touch with them.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:23 PM
Can you contact Customs regarding the form? Perhaps if you speak generally and not describe your order (eg, don't give them the tracking number) you can get information without putting your own order at risk for return.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:32 PM
I've talked with Fedex alot about the form and whats required, unfortunately I NEED a SSN or tax number to pair with my shipment, or fedex will just return it back to Axiom...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:34 PM
I didn't have to fill outany form, my speaker purchase was a little over 3k
Posted By: CV Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:36 PM
I don't know about your situation, but I know that Customs got involved with my A1400-8 because its value was over $2000. As for how to fill out the form without that information, I'm not sure, so yeah, try to contact Customs like Ken is saying.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 05:49 PM
Wow this is very frusterating
Posted By: Murph Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 06:03 PM
Our company sometimes uses these guys when we need something in emergency ASAP mode.

I honestly don't know if they deal with residential size issues but they have been very helpful to me in the past and don't seem to mind answering questions prior to being promised any business.

Canadian Custom Brokerage Services

Worst case, you waste yet another phone call.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 06:15 PM
thanks murph, they have a US customs section too. If it gets extreme we'll see what happens
Won't they just take the Canadian equivalent of an SSN? Or don't you have some kind of alternate US ID that allows you to work in the US (a green card number or something)?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 06:23 PM
Perhaps a passport number? or a visa?
Posted By: myrison Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 06:24 PM
Hutzal - this happened to me too (~$3K order) and it was entirely painless. FedEx can e-mail you the form, you fill it out and fax it back and never hear about it again. The way Axiom sets up the orders they are responsible for any duties on the items as they ship, but customs rules require that they track where the orders are going. I see little risk in asking a friend to provide their SSN for the shipment. (though I'm not an export/import lawyer, I'm just responding from my own experience) \:\)

Jason

PS: FedEx is just following government rules and covering their butts by getting it filled out... I don't think their process is nearly as airtight as they'd like you to think it is... While I was on the phone with their support desk arguing about what this form was all about and how I wanted my speakers ASAP (and they said there was nothing they could do), FedEx rung my doorbell and left half the shipment on the front porch... Fairly amusing... The other speakers showed up 2 days after I faxed the form.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 06:31 PM
I just talked to US Customs, seems since I have no SSN or tax number I need to pay duties on the shipment, I need to contact the port of entry and get an importer number assigned to the shipment. or have the shipment sent to someone with a SSN.

I am getting very annoyed right now...
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 09:33 PM
God news, I called Axiom (which is what I should have done in the very beginning) and Noreen said Axiom Audio has a US company that accepts the duties as a business so that we don't have to as consumers. Noreen phoned Fedex and got it all straightened out.

Long story short, the shipment is now moving towards LA!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 09:34 PM
Sweet!
Excellent!
Posted By: jakewash Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 10:16 PM
Wooohoooo, Can't wait to see the pics of these babies.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 10:43 PM
Glad to hear it, once again Axiom comes through!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 10:53 PM
cool! good thinking ahead by the axiom staff.
Posted By: fredk Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
... and Noreen said Axiom Audio has a US company that accepts the duties as a business so that we don't have to as consumers.

They ship to themselves, pay the duties and forward the shipment to the customer?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/03/08 11:31 PM
now THAT'S Customer service!
Posted By: fredk Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/04/08 02:32 AM
Its a rather interesting way to simplify the purchasing process.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/04/08 05:59 AM
Fred,

I believe in a sense, that is how it works.
Posted By: DaveG Re: really important stuff!! (US Citizens!) - 10/04/08 12:51 PM
Just another example of great customer service.
© Axiom Message Boards