Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ihifi New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 01:34 AM
Toshiba has recently introduced new firmware (4.0) for all of its HD-DVD players. You can go to this page , select your player, then download the specific FW. Remember that you need to burn the iso image of the FW to disc then follow instructions. I am sure many of you still use a Toshiba HD-DVD player, such as the XA2, to upconvert SD DVDs. This FW fixes , among other things, the jaggies that were seen when outputting 1080p/24 to displays capable of displaying that resolution. It is to Toshiba's credit that they continue to support their HD-DVD players.
Posted By: Wid Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 01:38 AM

I haven't done the last one yet. I should get off my butt and get it done. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: CV Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 01:41 AM
Yes, very cool of them to continue supporting their players with new firmware.

You know, I really think they should reconsider their stance on Blu-ray and get to work on a player that just happens to play HD DVDs as well. How much more can it cost to manufacture?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 02:39 AM
thanks for the info.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 03:06 AM
DL'ed the update and burned it as an ISO. Installed it on my A2 in a few minutes.
Posted By: RickF Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 08:46 AM
I retired my A2 yesterday and replaced it with a PS3 ... didn't seem too long ago that I received an update from Toshiba, maybe 3.4?
Posted By: DaveG Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 11:45 AM
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 03:06 PM
I still use my A2 for DVD upconversion. I may throw in an HD-DVD every now any then as well. Lately I have just been watching bluray on the PS3 though... but hey, why not keep the FW up to date?
Posted By: nickbuol Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 04:04 PM
I'd update my firmware on my A2, but my bulb is still burnt out on my Z3 projector and I need to wait a couple of weeks to get a new one, but that is another story...

No Blu-Ray for me at this time. $26 per movie is a bit high, and we don't want quite enough movies a month to do Netflix since we are busy running kids around.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 04:45 PM
I have to remember what burning software I downloaded to do this last time... I haven't updated the firmware since I bought it!

EDIT: Just checked my PC, and I can't find ANY burning program that I downloaded to burn an image file. Little Help? \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 04:57 PM
If it's an ISO, I recommend isorecorder.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 04:59 PM
Mark:

I'm sure Active ISO burner will work for you.

You can get it here for free.

Active ISO Burner
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:01 PM
Hmmmm...I don't remember if that's what I used last time or not.

They have a version for Win 2000 SP2, but I'm at SP3. Maybe I'll give it a try later this afternoon anyway....
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:02 PM
Lorenzo:

I think THAT's what I used last time.

Ken: Pffffft!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:06 PM
Dude, you're still on Windows 2000, and you're only at SP3? Are you insane? \:D
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:09 PM
Win2K SP3? Hm... How did you get that SP3?
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:09 PM
Yes I think I recall you using that one.

Active ISO is a very easy program to use. For burning ISO files like the firmware update I always burn at a slow speed like 2X as the files are usually fairly small and you are assured of no errors during burning that way.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:09 PM
ummmm........ yeah?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:13 PM
You can plug your Hd-DVD player into an ethernet cable and update that way to.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:23 PM
Ummm, yeah.... before everyone starts harping on me, I'm not networked.

There.

I said it.

:::runs away crying:::
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:28 PM
With Windows 2000 at SP3, not being networked is a good thing.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 05:46 PM
Forget me... I'm on drugs.

I'm not on Win 2000, I'm on XP Pro.

I'll stop multitasking and concentrate on the forum instead of my work. Some days, rolling the chair back and forth works, other days....well....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/13/08 06:46 PM
Oh good... I figured, but it's always nice to check.
Posted By: ihifi Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/14/08 04:01 AM
Mark,

I bought a big plastic cylinder containing 100 Sony CD-Rs from Costco few weeks ago (and I still don't know why). Send me a PM with your address and the model of your Toshiba player, and I will gladly burn and mail a disk for you.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Toshiba HD-DVD FW - 10/14/08 11:03 AM
John:
Thanks so much for the offer, but I'm fine. I just couldn't remember the burning software as nothing I have here does image files.

Actually, I've bought CD Architect since my last Toshiba update, and for all I know, it burns image files...

Seriously, though... thanks for the offer...it's very kind! \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards