Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Chiefsfan Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 12:20 AM
Well, after months of debate, I just placed my order for an Axiom 5.1HT. I purchased:
M80V2 fronts / VP150 center / QS8 rears / EP350 sub

They are black in color (believe it or not, it was the only color my wife would let me have -- I wanted maple).

I will be driving them with my Emotiva XPA-5 (200 WPC)and a denon receiver as a pre/pro (my Emotiva UMC-1 is on pre-order). They will be paired with my new Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60" plasma. This system will be 75% HT, 20% Wii/Xbox 360 / 5% music.

I will post pics once I have everything set up (hopefully next weekend).

I want to thank all of you on this board for the advice/info that you post as well as Brent and John at Axiom for answering all my questions and setting up "special" eBay auctions that allowed me to maximize my "live.com" cashback bonus for ebay/paypal transactions. BTW -- doing these all as separate auctions to maximize the cashback from live.com allowed me to pick up all these speaker for right about $2K even after the cash back -- an even greater deal than the everyday fabulous deals Axiom always offers.

Thanks again to all.

Michael
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 12:24 AM
Welcome aboard! Great times are afoot!
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 12:39 AM
Welcome Michael, and congrats on your purchase. The next couple of weeks of waiting will definitely be trying, but before you know it, you'll be in audio nirvana!

Jason
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 12:54 AM
Welcom to the forum chiefsfan and congratulations on your new home theatre system!

From the sights and sounds of it you are going to have one heck of a system :).

You are in for a real treat,

Dr. House
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 03:00 AM
Congrats! can't wait to hear your feedback. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 03:12 AM
Welcome to the Axiom family. In case you haven't been told, pictures are a must once the new system arrives and is setup. \:\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 03:39 AM
Welcome Micheal,congrats on your speaker purchase, your sure to enjoy them.
Posted By: Jappy Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/18/08 11:58 PM
You decedied on the exact same speakers (except the colour). I'm still installing everything but I'm satisfied so far!
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 03:47 AM
Are they there yet?
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 02:49 PM
No, but that hasn't stopped me from opening the front door every ten minutes to look and see if they are here.
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 02:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Welcome to the Axiom family. In case you haven't been told, pictures are a must once the new system arrives and is setup. \:\)

Absolutely -- I really liked seeing other people speakers in their homes. The least I can do is to post mine as well. I was even considered a before/after shot so I don't forget how desolate it looked without them.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 03:19 PM
Has your system shipped yet?

Dr. House
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 05:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Chiefsfan
No, but that hasn't stopped me from opening the front door every ten minutes to look and see if they are here.

\:D
Posted By: Hansang Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 06:06 PM

I certainly remember that feeling! Not even taking a chance on going to the bathroom in case the fedex guy came! \:\)
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/19/08 10:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Has your system shipped yet?

Dr. House

No, it has not. But again, I don't think I should let a minor detail like that get in the way of front porch checking diligence. I won't even let the fact that it is Sunday and deliveries don't come today deter my efforts.
\:\/
Posted By: Murph Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/20/08 12:15 PM
Have fun. I'll check my front door too for ya. Just in case.
Posted By: Listener Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/20/08 02:53 PM

Brent and John at Axiom for answering all my questions and setting up "special" eBay auctions that allowed me to maximize my "live.com" cashback bonus for ebay/paypal transactions. BTW -- doing these all as separate auctions to maximize the cashback from live.com allowed me to pick up all these speaker for right about $2K even after the cash back -- an even greater deal than the everyday fabulous deals Axiom always offers.

Thanks again to all.

Michael

Great idea. I did the same thing when I ordered my system. Amie was very helpfull ans setup seperate listings for me to help me maximize my live search cashback.
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 12:34 AM
They shipped today............now the checking becomes more intense.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 12:44 AM
Wait the on magical "On vehicule for delivery".... \:\)
Posted By: DaveG Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 12:01 PM
waiting, wait-ing, wait--ing, wait---ing, wait---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ing
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 02:17 PM
Congrats... one step closer. Unfortunately each period of waiting gets worse. ;\)

Jason
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 04:10 PM
I just checked with Fedex and it appears that delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.

I will try and take some pictures tonight of the sad sight that is my speakerless home theater. I'll also make sure that I get some pics of just the boxes and the work in progress as well as the finished product. The finished product may take a while as I must mount my plasma and run all the wires for it to really be complete, but I will take in process pics as well for those who choose to live this experience vicariously. \:\)

Michael
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 05:03 PM
quote=Chiefsfan] for those who choose to live this experience vicariously. \:\)

[/quote] That would be pretty much all of us\:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/22/08 05:13 PM
Absolutely, plus when you are done you'll be happy you have the in-process pictures to see how the project unfolded. I still enjoy looking back through mine (not that I'm done, or ever will be). \:\)

Jason
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 07:13 PM
Date/Time

Activity

Details

Oct 23, 2008 2:11 PM

Delivered

Mason, OH

Left at garage. Signature Service not requested.

7:06 AM

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

CINCINNATI, OH

5:51 AM

At local FedEx facility

CINCINNATI, OH

AT THE GARAGE.............I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THE BELL TO RING AND WATCHING THE PORCH (shoot me now).

Anyway -- all but 1 speaker (one M80) showed up today. I'll begin taking picutres now.

Michael
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 07:15 PM
YEE-HAW! (that's your Texas cheer for the day).

Have fun!

Jason
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 07:16 PM
Cool. Except for the "signature service not required". Unless they changed recently, Axiom always ask for a signature even when they ship just a T-shirt!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 07:26 PM
I think the signature part is respective to the delivery agents involved, Purolator requires a signature unless otherwise specified, I believe Fed Ex and UPS work the other way around.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 07:41 PM
I don't doubt that, but I certainly doubt Axiom would ship +1000$ of dollars worth of merchandise with no-one to show for it.
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 08:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
I don't doubt that, but I certainly doubt Axiom would ship +1000$ of dollars worth of merchandise with no-one to show for it.

I would tend to agree. I paid just under $3K for these speakers. I would doubt that they would ship without a signature required.........but then again I wouldn't put it past a shipping company to just "make up" the rules as they go.

I hold shippers in very low esteem. I once had an issue where I shipped an insured set of speakers via UPS and the ham handed workers there crushed them. Of course, they refused to pay the claim (despite several appeals). We ended up in small claims court. I won, but it took me 9 months and many, many hours to get my money back. I have little respect for the shipping industry after that experience.........but I digress.

I see that several of the boxes are "beat up". I will open them later tonight when my friend comes over to help. I sure hope they all arrive undamaged.

Michael
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/23/08 09:26 PM
Usually they are, but definitely look them over carefully.

Jason
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/24/08 02:07 AM
Well, I have unpacked all the boxes and it appears that all the speakers (so far) have arrived undamaged. I have yet to play them, but aesthetically they appear perfect. I am taking pictures along the way (will have to download them later)......off to bed for now (moving heavy boxes makes me sleepy). ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 10/24/08 03:03 AM
Wimp
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/02/08 12:37 AM
Okay, it has taken me quite a bit of time to get these pictures up.........but, better late than never.

I still have not completely set up the system. I didn't receive my last M80 until a few days after these pictures were taken, so I didn't complete the installation. I am going to try and finish the system tomorrow (wall mount TV, run wires in ceiling for rears, etc.). I'll take final pictures once I am done and post my first listening impressions as well.

Michael

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-007.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-008.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-003.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-002.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-001.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-009.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-012.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-013.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-022.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-014.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-010.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-011.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-017.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-020.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-025.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-026.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-019.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-018.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp224/bbqchief/Axiom%20Speakers/Oct252008Photos-021.jpg
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/02/08 05:29 AM
Not enough pics. \:o

That one M80 does look kind of lonely.

Thats a nice clean setup you have. Looks very good!
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/02/08 02:18 PM
Very nice Michael. The black finish looks great in your setup.

Also, FYI, the next time you post pics if you use the button "enter an image" (third from the left) you can paste the links like you did above into the resulting pop up box and the pictures will show up directly in the thread instead of the links to the pictures. Though we'll survive either way. ;\)

Looking forward to the final pictures and your impressions once it's all set up!

Jason

PS: One example of what I mean below...

Posted By: gary135r Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/02/08 10:14 PM

I wish my living room could handle a setup that size. although my wallet is happy it's not. have fun
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/03/08 01:26 AM
Okay, it has taken me quite a bit of time to get these pictures up.........but, better late than never.

I still have not completely set up the system. I didn't receive my last M80 until a few days after these pictures were taken, so I didn't complete the installation. I am going to try and finish the system tomorrow (wall mount TV, run wires in ceiling for rears, etc.). I'll take final pictures once I am done and post my first listening impressions as well.

Michael
I hope you don't mind. I took the liberty.....

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/03/08 01:57 AM
That poor little stuffed animal. Looks like it got nailed by the furniture dolly. \:\(
Posted By: medic8r Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/03/08 02:11 PM
LOL, Sean.

Roadkill can be acceptable losses in the name of democracy home theater.
Posted By: Murph Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/03/08 02:35 PM

Nice looking setup. RockBand gear an all. A few of my friends have purchased Rock Band but continue to mysteriously show up randomly at my house to play because the music sounds so much better with my Axioms compared to their HTiB. That and the fact that I don't have kids so late night volume control worries. At least until my wife packs it in.
Congrats on the setup! \:\) Looks awesome. Nice AV room too.

Heh. I loved that 'magic board' segment on SNL. As a CNN watcher, I found it hilarious. \:D

Not to be a downer, but...

Do let the group know if you have any problems with the M80's and that Emotiva XPA-5. Especially if it shuts down at high (>100db) volume levels.

There have been a few reports both here and in other forums that the XPA line might have problems with 4-ohm speakers, like M80's. Some of us here are very happy with our Emotiva gear, but others are not. There's another very recent thread where the poster was having major problems with an XPA-2 and a pair of M80's.

I'd just suggest that you put that XPA-5 'through the paces' if you're still in the 30-day window to return it, should it not meet your expectations.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/03/08 04:44 PM
 Quote:
Heh. I loved that 'magic board' segment on SNL. As a CNN watcher, I found it hilarious.

Same here, it was super hilarious! The best so far from this season, maybe just behind last week 'McCain @ QVC', that was pretty awesome.
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/10/08 01:30 AM
OK......FINALLY DONE (I will post some "finished" pics soon).

After spending much of this entire weekend fishing wire, mounting brackets and re-wiring what could have been Apollo 11, I finally finished installing my HT today.

I must say that after getting all the speakers calibrated, I was VERY impressed with the system. I tested the speakers for an extended time (about 6 hours) at very high volumes (my ears were almost bleeding). The sound was phenomenally rich and clean. I watched tv (directv HD), played Rockband (XBox 360) and Wii some as well.

I guess I am a one of the lucky ones, as I was powering the M80/VP150/QS8s with an Emotiva XPA-5 amp (Denon receiver as pre-amp) without ANY issue at all of circuit protection even at these very high levels. I am quite pleased with the combination and the sound quality it presents.

I'll definitely get some pics up soon as well as a more complete review of my experience.

As for now, off to take some more ibuprofen.......that stupid 130 lbs plasma tv really did a number on my back today -- I just manned up and "lifted it" onto the mount without a "buddy" (nobody was around). What I am learning about being 37 is that I am still strong enough to do stupid things, I just hurt afterwards (in my 20's, stupidity came without a price).
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/10/08 01:42 AM
Awesome news Michael. Glad to hear everything came together for you (including the Emotiva/M80 combination). Looking forward to the final pictures.

Jason
Posted By: DaveG Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/10/08 12:48 PM
Congrats, good to hear all of your system worked out for you.
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 12:44 AM
Well, I am finally posting some finished set up pics of my HT installation. It was a lot of fun getting this HT in place (although the mounting of the TV and running wires in the wall wasn't the greatest).

I really enjoyed running the audio set program on my receiver and getting my receiver/amp/speakers/sub calibrated. It made quite a nice difference to the sound quality.

I will post a more detailed reveiw a bit later on how I am feeling about the overall sound of the sytem under various conditions. The short answer is that the sound is awesome and I finally have that "jaw dropping" sound to go with the fabulous picture of my 60" Pioneer plasma.

Michael

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 01:24 AM
Wow, Michael, nice clean looking set-up!!
Posted By: fredk Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 05:17 AM
+1 Thats a very nice setup!
Posted By: SRoode Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 11:25 AM
Now that's the way to do it! What a great looking setup!

Do you normally keep the speakers "nude" or was it just for the pictures?

-Steve
Posted By: DaveG Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 12:25 PM
Nice set-up.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 01:01 PM
One More!

Did you ever try separating your Mains another 2'~3" per side...like your surrounds?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 01:04 PM
Gosh, you should take great pride in your system. That is one clean looking setup, very nice indeed!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 01:12 PM
Very nice!
Posted By: myrison Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 01:24 PM
Michael - you should be proud, that is an installation many pros would be proud of. Very clean!

One other suggestion would be to try bumping the M80s out from the wall just a bit to allow the rear ports room to do their work. If you're happy with the way it sounds, then don't sweat it, but if you feel like tinkering more some day, you can try them bumped out a bit and see what you think.

Congrats on getting everything set up. It looks awesome.

Jason
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 04:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Now that's the way to do it! What a great looking setup!

Do you normally keep the speakers "nude" or was it just for the pictures?

-Steve

Steve,

Wow, nude.......I wasn't sure I could like my speakers more, but after that description, I may just change my mind.

No, I normally keep the grill covers on. The strip down was for pictures. I'll take a few more later when they are fully clothed as well (although something will be lost witout the "curiosity").

Michael
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 04:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
One More!

Did you ever try separating your Mains another 2'~3" per side...like your surrounds?

Yes, they started that way. However, they received low WAF grades for that cofiguration. So, I ended up "clustering" them tightly to the rack.

Michael
Posted By: Chiefsfan Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 04:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: myrison
Michael - you should be proud, that is an installation many pros would be proud of. Very clean!

One other suggestion would be to try bumping the M80s out from the wall just a bit to allow the rear ports room to do their work. If you're happy with the way it sounds, then don't sweat it, but if you feel like tinkering more some day, you can try them bumped out a bit and see what you think.

Congrats on getting everything set up. It looks awesome.

Jason

Jason,

Good idea. I'll try tinkering with this over the weekend. After I had to move the speakers closer together, I have not done much in the way of experimenting with wall position or toeing them to achieve different effects.

Michael
Posted By: jakewash Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/14/08 06:07 PM
You may find the straightahead position to be best, the highs become slightly more accentuated with toe in; at least that has been my findings.
Posted By: davemire Re: Just Ordered My First Axiom System - 11/17/08 07:39 PM
Nice setup!

What is the setup DVD that everyone seems to be using?
© Axiom Message Boards