Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Clubho Two Surround Speaker Questions from a Newbie - 11/13/08 05:37 PM
Hello everyone. I was previously sold on the quality and sound of Axiom speakers when I purchased a pair of M2s several years ago. I am now setting up a very modest 5.1 entertainment room in my basement using M3s and a VP100 up front, QS4 surrounds and an EP 175 sub. The room will have a suspended ceiling (with typical Armstrong 2' X 2" ceiling tiles) that will only be about 7 and 1/2 feet high. My questions:

1. Is the T bracket that comes with the QS4s sufficient, or should I go with the full metal bracket so I can adjust the angle and direction of the speakers somewhat. I would rather mount flat to the wall, but will go with the full metal bracket if that is recommended.

2. I want to mount the QS4s as high as possible, but that would put them very close to the drop ceiling. Will it greatly affect the sound if the speakers are only a few inches from the ceiling?

Thanks.
1) I have the QS8's mounted with the T brackets, and they hold them up just fine.

2) You may lose a bit of perceived midrange since one of the midrange drivers fires up (the other one fires down).
My Qs8's have about 6" or so of breathing room for the top driver. I'm sure if you only have a few inches you might be comprimising the sound a little.
Hi Clubho,

We recommend a minimum of about 6 inches from the ceiling because of the top-firing driver. You want to give it enough breathing space so it can generate reflections from the ceiling.

The QS8s or QS4s don't need to be aimed or angled, except perhaps in a room with vaulted or cathedral ceiling and unusually high mounting locations. I've never tried them in such a room, but if you take into account the reverberant nature of such rooms, in theory the QS8s shouldn't need to be angled towards the listener even there.

Regards,
1) Ditto to SRoode's affirmation. Same here. I did use drywall mounting screws tough since no studs were in that erea for one of the QS8's.

2)JC at Axiom told me to keep at least 6 in. above the QS8's. I ended leaving a little more though as they are not very intrusive and my initial reservation about bumping into them were not confirmed. I would suggest putting them around 6 1/2 feet high or something like that.
Welcome to the forum clubho.

I own the QS4 and I use the standard t-bracket that comes with them. The t-bracket works great. Make sure you screw the t-bracket into the studs in the wall and you are set.

I agree with sirquack, I would give the top mounted driver on the QS4 about 5-7 inches of breathing room from the celing.

BTW I love my QS4 surrounds:).
A couple of pics of my QS8s, they would be about 3-4" from the ceiling if not angled on the FMB.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I will go with the T mounts and give them 6" room at the top. Can't ait to hear my new system.....
Sounds good Clubho \:\)

Have you put in the order yet? If you have any more questions regarding anything with your setup, we are here for you :)!
I've been pondering changing out my DIY brackets for the ones Jason is using.
© Axiom Message Boards