Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hansang Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 01:48 AM
So after constantly getting the "are you using that mic thing again??", "can't you just leave the sub where it is", "do I have to turn on the black thing just to watch the TV?", "I can't tell the difference, it sounds the same to me" (with a healthy helping of rolling eyes)

we were playing Guitar Hero 4 at my sister in laws house. They don't have a HT setup of any kind. The sound coming out the plasma TV was weak to say the least. My wife turns to me and says "hmmm, it doesn't sound anything like our Rockband...I guess all that stuff you did makes a difference"

Yes, I'm comparing epic-80/500 setup to a Plasma TV speaker, but still, it's the principle of the thing, dammit. \:\)

Now that I think about it though, I suppose it's no different than my saying "you need *another* purse, what for? they all look the same to me!" ;\)

The one thing I learned about WAF. Get a *nice* URC remote and everything else will come easier!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 02:46 AM
Victory!!!
Posted By: 80'sMan Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 02:48 AM
That's halarious. Sometimes we don't appreciate something till it's gone. My wife has been really cool about our home theatre. We're both movie nuts. She gets actually quite emotional when watching a movie. We watched Jurassic Park the other day and she was almost yelling at the screen, "turn off the flashlight, TURN OF THE FLASHLIGHT!!!!!", when the T-rex was attacking the SUV's! It's big feet pounding through-out our whole house.

Sometimes, because our system has been a gradual evolution, we don't notice just how remarkable it has become! We kind'a get "used" to it. Then if we go to a friend's place and all they have is some cheap out-of-the-box home theatre, we look at each other and think just how crappy regular TV watching is!!! It's almost hard to get into a movie when a crashing jet sounds like a paper airplane landing on the carpet. It's just not right!!!
Posted By: Murph Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 01:34 PM
I remember when my wife first admitted that she appreciated our HT setup after a weekend of trying to watch movies at her Mom's.

Sometimes even I question the cost but these little things make it all worth it.
Posted By: myrison Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 02:18 PM
Totally agree guys, you have to adjust your expectations on what kind of compliments you're going to get from the Mrs. A small amount of praise goes a long way.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 02:26 PM
Good to hear you finally got your acknowledgment from the Mrs.
Posted By: idboy Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 04:03 PM
The flipside to this is when your wife says of your current setup, "I don't know, something is missing. The sound just isn't very full."

Of course that doesn't mean I get my Axiom system now, but it does mean it is on the horizon at least...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 05:52 PM
Hey, my wife bought a center channel because she couldn't hear the dialog with my frankenstein setup. Works for me... she also tends to encourage me to get what I want in terms of HT, even when I'm going, hrmm... that doesn't seem like a great idea. EG: M80s, EP350.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 06:10 PM
My wife still says she can't tell the difference \:\( I told her to turn up her hearing aid or buy a new one, that didn't go down to well.

If the TV works and has sound that's all that matters to her.
Posted By: myrison Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/19/08 08:29 PM
It might take some time Graeme. Get her used to how it sounds at your place and she _might_ notice something is missing when you go out to a friend's place to watch TV or a movie.
Posted By: Graeme L Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/20/08 07:57 AM
The little lady is a tough nut to crack, once she listend to it for a month or three she will notice.
But on the bright side, she doesn't mind me spending money upgrading. We work very long hours 7 days a week, so it's our entertainment as we don't have time to go out.
Posted By: Micah Re: Finally, redemption! (sort of) - 11/24/08 06:43 PM
Ah yes, redemption is indeed a great thing. Much like tuning a car to run at its utmost potential (where as all women care about is that it starts when they turn the key), men also like tweaking their HT to sound like it does (if not better) when they're at the movies. But you know you're wasting your time when your wife/girlfriend doesn't even like going to the movies because it's "TOO LOUD" in there!

If that's the case, then you'd be better off banging your head into a wall then to try and convince them a four thousand dollar speaker system is worth the money!
© Axiom Message Boards